Welcome to Gaia! ::

When extracting songs from physical discs to be enjoyed on the computer or on my media player, I generally extract as .wav and compress to .flac

My question is, what does Windows Media Player convert your .wav to when it's putting them onto a disc in "Audio CD" format? Is it just compressing the .wav files, or is it encoding them, and to what?

Edit:
If I export a 24-bit .wav from FL Studio, how will it be affected by WMP? What would be a more precise method of ensuring my friends/family/fans get the best quality sound? All YouTube content prior to this year was 192k and below, and now I think they're allowing over 500k (.aac), but my .flacs are about 1,200-1,600kbps

Aged Lunatic

Areweeffingserious
When extracting songs from physical discs to be enjoyed on the computer or on my media player, I generally extract as .wav and compress to .flac

My question is, what does Windows Media Player convert your .wav to when it's putting them onto a disc in "Audio CD" format? Is it just compressing the .wav files, or is it encoding them, and to what?

Edit:
If I export a 24-bit .wav from FL Studio, how will it be affected by WMP? What would be a more precise method of ensuring my friends/family/fans get the best quality sound? All YouTube content prior to this year was 192k and below, and now I think they're allowing over 500k (.aac), but my .flacs are about 1,200-1,600kbps

.wav (WAVE) is a raw audio format, meaning there is no compression (it's an uncompressed container) nor encoded (encoded in audio generally works in with compression, compression formats such as MP3 are technically encoded/compressed audio containers).

As for what format it becomes when placed on to an Audio CD, assuming you're literally creating an audio cd it becomes the CD-DA (also known as red book) format, which is otherwise another uncompressed format with technical restrictions on the spec itself.

If you want good sound at a moderate file size, FLAC would be the best to stick with.

As far as youtube is considered however, youtube re-encodes stuff when you upload it to them, however currently all videos from 144p to maximum (1080p is the highest they re-encode, after that is what they call 'Original' format) is a 192kbps AAC container.
Synapt
Areweeffingserious

Edit:

.wav (WAVE) is a raw audio format, meaning there is no compression (it's an uncompressed container) nor encoded (encoded in audio generally works in with compression, compression formats such as MP3 are technically encoded/compressed audio containers).

As for what format it becomes when placed on to an Audio CD, assuming you're literally creating an audio cd it becomes the CD-DA (also known as red book) format, which is otherwise another uncompressed format with technical restrictions on the spec itself.

If you want good sound at a moderate file size, FLAC would be the best to stick with.

As far as youtube is considered however, youtube re-encodes stuff when you upload it to them, however currently all videos from 144p to maximum (1080p is the highest they re-encode, after that is what they call 'Original' format) is a 192kbps AAC container.

It's to my understanding that there are uncompressed .wav files (around 96MB), and there are compressed .wav files (around 30MB) and .flac (around 24MB) . Is not the .wav file just a container file? It's just so big that the possibilities of sound inside it are practically endless. Even more-so after they updated it to 24-bit. Though due to the large file sizes they compress the files to match the width of the audio stream recording which are generally smaller than the files themselves? .flac just wraps around the audio like spandex I imagine.

Obviously sizes vary with tracks

Aged Lunatic

Areweeffingserious
It's to my understanding that there are uncompressed .wav files (around 96MB), and there are compressed .wav files (around 30MB) and .flac (around 24MB) . Is not the .wav file just a container file? It's just so big that the possibilities of sound inside it are practically endless. Even more-so after they updated it to 24-bit. Though due to the large file sizes they compress the files to match the width of the audio stream recording which are generally smaller than the files themselves? .flac just wraps around the audio like spandex I imagine.

You can technically compress wave with ACM, however if memory serves correctly it's mostly windows explicit and utilized by MS applications primarily, so you generally won't find much interest/support for that.

Think of .wav otherwise commonly like a .bmp (Bitmap) file, .bmp are effectively raw image formats, uncompressed, .wav is generally the audio variant of that if you're talking cross-platform support.

There isn't some like magic file size that .wav hits and suddenly compresses itself, and FLAC is an entire compression codec itself (a lossless audio codec to be specific to it's name).

In short the only native compression to the WAVE format is to utilize ACM WAVE to which support for that is as far as I recall far more limited than even FLAC.
Synapt
Areweeffingserious

You can technically compress wave with ACM, however if memory serves correctly it's mostly windows explicit and utilized by MS applications primarily, so you generally won't find much interest/support for that.

Think of .wav otherwise commonly like a .bmp (Bitmap) file, .bmp are effectively raw image formats, uncompressed, .wav is generally the audio variant of that if you're talking cross-platform support.

There isn't some like magic file size that .wav hits and suddenly compresses itself, and FLAC is an entire compression codec itself (a lossless audio codec to be specific to it's name).

In short the only native compression to the WAVE format is to utilize ACM WAVE to which support for that is as far as I recall far more limited than even FLAC.

"There isn't some like magic file size that .wav hits and suddenly compresses itself"
Wasn't implying that at all - Was presuming that .wav was a container file because if you open a .wav that was freshly imported from a disc and open it in audacity and the hz rate it goes up, so does the file-size to nearly 600MB - If you compress it with .flac afterwards I'm pretty sure it's just grabbing the raw audio stream from the .wav container.

Any benefits of having a 24-bit .wav over a .16-bit .wav?
If .flac is lossless, when/if I convert back to .wav will it be the same size as source .wav?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff