Welcome to Gaia! ::

This started happening a month or two ago, about once per week. Now, restarting fixed the issue and everything was fine. However, it has begun to happen once every two days or so. All the parts in my computer are completely under warranty, so if anything needs replacing, that isn't a problem. I just need to be sure this isn't something I can fix. Anyway, since the computer freezes, I can't screenshot the problem. So I took pictures with my phone.

What happens is that suddenly this happens to my screen, and it flickers in this state. (As in, those artifacts are blinking around. You know)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Second image is a closeup. See if you can find my mouse cursor, it's definitely there. The artifacts are pinkish in colour.

This doesn't result in a BSOD either. It just kind of stays there until I restart with the button on my case. And like I said, it freezes the computer. So I can't do jack s**t. Now, when it happens, I have a few seconds left until my computer freezes. After 3 or so seconds, it completely freezes (Artifacts keep blinking)

The sound continues for a bit, but eventually cuts off. ONE TIME it kept looping, like in regular freezes, but most of the time it just cuts off.

Another symptom that seems to be happening at the same time as this is... My GPU's cooling getting progressively worse. I installed additional fans and this resulted in even Furmark on max settings peaking out at around 93c after a few minutes. Now if I try Furmark on even lower settings... It takes seconds to reach 95c (at which point I shut it down)

When gaming, 80+ temperature is common (In games like L4D2) and this used to be extremely rare. (With the new fans)

I'm not sure what to make of this. No idea what it could be. And yes, when I check my GPU and CPU in stuff like CPUID and GPUz, everything is completely fine and correct. I haven't reinstalled drivers for anything yet. (They are updated and latest)

In case this is necessary, my system specs are:

560Ti
Z68MA-D2H-B3-Rev 1.3
Seasonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze.

Any insights are welcome. And I repeat, replacing the hardware is not an issue. Even without a GPU, the Intel integrated graphics will hold me over until a replacement GPU arrives. But without a CPU I'm obviously dead in the water. Ditto for motherboard, obviously.

No need to walk me through installing or replacing parts. Just diagnose the problem if you can. I'll handle fixing it.
What programs were you running at the time?
Also Drivers!
Disconsented
Also Drivers!

Programs at the time... Well obviously Firefox.

Steam. Avast. GoogleTalk. Messenger. Teamspeak 3 (Maybe). Razer Arctosa and Imperator configurators, Hamachi, Spybot S&D, that should be about it.

Drivers? Latest on all fronts, like I said. If you think I should try updating, I'll give it a ago.
Aven Donn
Disconsented
Also Drivers!

Steam. Avast. GoogleTalk. Messenger. Teamspeak 3 (Maybe). Razer Arctosa and Imperator configurators, Hamachi, Spybot S&D, that should be about it.

Drivers? Latest on all fronts, like I said. If you think I should try updating, I'll give it a ago.

Won't hurt to update. It doesn't sound like hardware is at fault due to when it happens. Try running the most minimum amount of programs you can.
Aven Donn
Disconsented
Also Drivers!

I had the same problem with my old e-machine(aka the crappiest computer ever made lol you need a new Graphics card, preferable not intel. Intel chips tend to get hot.... I hope this helps!!!!
Jackoniell7890
Aven Donn
Disconsented
Also Drivers!

I had the same problem with my old e-machine(aka the crappiest computer ever made lol you need a new Graphics card, preferable not intel. Intel chips tend to get hot.... I hope this helps!!!!

1. In case you didn't notice, I have a 560 Ti.

2. Intel? Hot? In your language, b***h please. At a tcase of 76, I'd hardly call my 2500k "Hot".

I'll try updating drivers and will post here as soon as it happens again.
Aven Donn
[...] Now, restarting fixed the issue and everything was fine. [...] Anyway, since the computer freezes, I can't screenshot the problem. [...]

What happens is that suddenly this happens to my screen, and it flickers in this state. (As in, those artifacts are blinking around. You know)
Hardware fault. Something's wrong with either VRAM or the DVI driver chip. Replace your video card.
psychic stalker
Aven Donn
[...] Now, restarting fixed the issue and everything was fine. [...] Anyway, since the computer freezes, I can't screenshot the problem. [...]

Hardware fault. Something's wrong with either VRAM or the DVI driver chip. Replace your video card.

Well then, if this starts getting worse and worse, like I said, warranty. Thanks.
Saw this a few times.....it's either ram, or video memory going out..
psychic stalker
Aven Donn

News update on the issue. (And I'm quoting you because you've been the most helpful)

It just recently happened... But then I got a black screen... Then Windows came back. Sound never got stuck, everything returned to normal. I got the generic "Drivers crashed and recovered" error message. I haven't updated yet, I've been putting it off. I'm downloading the most recent drivers as we speak. 296.10 (500 series)

I'm once again not sure what to make of this, but if my memory serves correctly, I've isolated another thing in common with all these crashes. They never once happened in a game or anywhere, except Youtube. It seems like they only ever happen on Youtube. So it might be a Flash related issue? (I don't view a lot of flash files, so it'd explain why I only encountered it on Youtube and not on other flash using sites (I have NoScript, so all necessary flash is off and stuff) and since it doesn't happen consistently... Or with any visible trigger... It's hard to test for it.)

So it's either a YouTube specific flash issue, or a general flash issue. If updating drivers wont fix it, I'll reinstall Flash. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go back to my original plan of waiting until it gets bad enough to replace under warranty.

Edit: The last two times it happened, it was on weed related memes. Hope my GPU didn't secretly celebrate 420. (That was a joke)
Aven Donn
So it's either a YouTube specific flash issue, or a general flash issue. If updating drivers wont fix it, I'll reinstall Flash. If that doesn't work, I'll probably go back to my original plan of waiting until it gets bad enough to replace under warranty.
Not surprising. Flash is known to have some instability w/r/t their hardware acceleration. (Not to mention the security problems.)

In my experience, when Flash is causing problems like this, there's a sign of hardware instability. The updated drivers might mitigate the problem, but I doubt it'll go away until you replace the card.
Before you go replacing anything, try reseating the video card. Turn off your computer, unplug everything, pop the case open and remove then put the video card back. While you are in your tower blow the dust out so everything runs cooler.
I don't think it's a driver issue because the drivers were working fine before.
If you tried reinstalling the same drivers that worked before and the display drivers are crashing, it sounds like graphics card failure.

There is a way to keep it from crashing on youtube however.

With Firefox, go to Tools>Options>Advanced section.
On the General tab, remove the checkmark for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

This will at the very least allow you to surf the web without crashing.
29582351c3
Before you go replacing anything, try reseating the video card. Turn off your computer, unplug everything, pop the case open and remove then put the video card back. While you are in your tower blow the dust out so everything runs cooler.

Already did that. Several times. The only reason I clean my case monthly is because I have a dandruff problem...

Wickity
I don't think it's a driver issue because the drivers were working fine before.
If you tried reinstalling the same drivers that worked before and the display drivers are crashing, it sounds like graphics card failure.

There is a way to keep it from crashing on youtube however.

With Firefox, go to Tools>Options>Advanced section.
On the General tab, remove the checkmark for "Use hardware acceleration when available"

This will at the very least allow you to surf the web without crashing.

The problem started happening roughly a month after I made this rig. The card is faulty, but it performs spotlessly everywhere else? Gonna be hard to replace it under those grounds.

Like I said, if the problem keeps up, I'll just wait until it happens regularly. Then it should be easy to have it replaced. And once it does happen regularly, I'll do that "Use hardware acceleration" trick.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff