Welcome to Gaia! ::

ok i picked up WC2:ROD at goodwill with the expansion pack ($6) and its gonna mainly be used for a gaming network i have. however i cant get it to run......... i use a windows xp, amd athlon 2600+, 768mb ram, ati rage pro. and im getting this error for: warcraft 2 could not find a VESA video driver. type UVconfig from the command line before running WAR2. you only need to do this once. if u still have proplems, try loading the VESA driver provided with your Video card or contact ur video card manufactuerer for a VESA driver.

now ive been able to run the UVCONFIG but it doesnt help anything....
Warcraft 2 is one of those older games, and a lot of old games and XP don't like each other. Did you try running it in a win98 compatibility mode?
Worked fine on my XP machine. So it's probably not the version of windows that's the problem. VESA has to do with your graphics card. Mind letting us know what video card you have? And are you using the latest drivers from the manufacturer?
Pirogoth Wolfblood
Worked fine on my XP machine. So it's probably not the version of windows that's the problem. VESA has to do with your graphics card. Mind letting us know what video card you have? And are you using the latest drivers from the manufacturer?
i did tell u what vid card i had..... im useing a 16mb ati rage 128 ultra.....
Atown
Pirogoth Wolfblood

You said ati rage pro. But what I was looking for was the 16mb. That should more than adequately run the game. I own a copy as well, but lets see if were running the same version. Do you have the battle.net edition? Or is it the standard copy with Tides of Darkness installed afterward? Also, are you using the latest drivers?
hahaha

you were worried about a computer running XP being able to handle war2? :p
Foolish
hahaha

you were worried about a computer running XP being able to handle war2? :p

Rather than worrying if WIn XP can handle WC2, we worry more along the lines of can WC2 handle XP?
Pirogoth Wolfblood
Atown
Pirogoth Wolfblood

You said ati rage pro. But what I was looking for was the 16mb. That should more than adequately run the game. I own a copy as well, but lets see if were running the same version. Do you have the battle.net edition? Or is it the standard copy with Tides of Darkness installed afterward? Also, are you using the latest drivers?
lol not battle.net edition, orignal. and im downloading the drivers now from ati.com, takes a while on dial-up
It's actually Tides of Darkness.
But yeah, like people said, VESA is video card drivers. DOS drivers...
The original WarCraft 2 isn't Windows friendly.
You're probably going to need a DOS mouse driver as well. Hopefully, it'll recognize your CD drives...
Gharbad
You're probably going to need a DOS mouse driver as well. Hopefully, it'll recognize your CD drives...
under the setup thingy it says it likes my mouse at least so yeah....
Atown
Gharbad

Well that's good. And it seems your CD drive works as well. I had a hell of a time with my old 486 trying to recognize everything. It would always forget I had a hard-drive partition and a CD-ROM. Then a sound card... joystick... UGH! And the "extended" memory problems. Man I hated that crap. As much as I hate to admit it, Windows is good.
Gharbad
Atown
Gharbad

Well that's good. And it seems your CD drive works as well. I had a hell of a time with my old 486 trying to recognize everything. It would always forget I had a hard-drive partition and a CD-ROM. Then a sound card... joystick... UGH! And the "extended" memory problems. Man I hated that crap. As much as I hate to admit it, Windows is good.
any suggestions on how to fix this though?
Have you tried a dos emulator shell? DOSBox is the one I think I used for a few of those games.
DopplerZero
Have you tried a dos emulator shell? DOSBox is the one I think I used for a few of those games.
never knew those existed O_O *goes on google*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces