Welcome to Gaia! ::

I made a PHP program that converts .png to .jpeg to .gif, in any direction. Sadly it does this by hosting the image, then you have to save the converted image. What I don't like about this is that I have to host, which is not good because then you could waist my bandwidth, and I don't want to be an image host.

If you can figure out how to make a converter, I'm saying you can with PHP. Lots of people don't know PHP, so your probally lost there. Find another way.
I just wanna say thank to all of you ^-^ My prob is fixed.
Photoshop is one of the best image editors I've found, but if you're saving a web image, I find that I have to "save for web", rather than "save as", because it won't show up right, for some reason. Paint, however, is the quickest and easiest image editor to convert with, but yeah...the quality will usually drop, regardless of what you change it to, even if it is only a small fraction of the orginal quality.
you have to have a little basic understanding of extensions and their compression types..a hierarchy of sorts..

you have tifs, jpgs, gifs, pngs, and bmps...in the general extension pyramid..but you also have your proprietary extensions..psd's..etc..

but the lower you go on the pyramid..the more compression and worse the artifiacts and pixelation are..
actually, if you use XP, there should be a bar underneath the name of the file, which depicts the format.
Yea gotta say jpeg or png, but just when you save, do save as and change it. It'll be under the name.
but for simple images, GIFs use the least space. but he's right otherwise.
Quote:
the best quality, especially for web use are gifs.

Uh, no. Gifs only support 256-colour palettes, which means if you save something like a photograph into .gif format, it will look like a**. Additionally, PNG is somewhat better than .gif, because it supports more colours, and because it has an alpha channel, which is used by browsers that don't suck.

Basically, if the image you're working with is a photo, you'd want to use JPEG, and if you're working with something like a sprite, or something else with very sharply defined lines, PNG or GIF is the way to go.

As for the original poster, I'd reccommend using IrfanView, which is easily one of the best image viewers/converters available. It's free.
the best quality, especially for web use are gifs.
Quote:
But if you use a program like Paint, you'll lose a lot of quality. The picture will look grainy.
Not nesicarily. If the original picture already had a low bit-per-measure, then it won't lose any quality. Also, if you transfer a file to a better image code, it won't gain or lose quality. If you transfer it to worse, it'll obviously lose quality. I prefer photoshop. biggrin
But if you use a program like Paint, you'll lose a lot of quality. The picture will look grainy.
Paint works good, because it's fast, but photoshop has more file types. wink
The above would be my best suggestion.
Works with any image editing program. smile
They way i would handle that is to open it using Microsoft Paint, than save it, but change the file type to the one you want it to be.
Well I had scan a picture onto my computer but I was wondering how you convert pictures into jpg's, png's etec...

If this was already ask I am sorry.. sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces