Welcome to Gaia! ::

Project Light
I run a flash games website, Gaming Medley. I am hoping to get a more flash-gamesy template. The one used currently was designed for when it was a news aggregate. Besides the template, though, I think it runs effectively.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make it more popular? Why wouldn't you use it as your main source of flash games?


The design isn't BAD, per-se. It's just not optimal. You could have used nested DIVs to decrease page load time.

Quote:
———————————————————————————
| corner | ..repeated 1px wide filler image.. | corner |
———————————————————————————
| border | background-color filler for content | border |
————————————————————————————
| corner | ..repeated 1px wide filler image.. | corner |


If you did it like that, each corner would be it's own image, and the left and right content borders would be a 1px height image. You'd also be able to make your design dynamic to fit any screen resolution, but the way you've scripted the site, it's only compatible with a 1024x768 screen resolution.

I wouldn't use your site as my main source for flash games because there's no rating or popularity system. I can't tell just based on game title whether I'm going to like the game I just clicked on, and if your users end up playing three games they don't really like, it's likely they'll just go elsewhere to play.
Project Light's avatar

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
GrimFusion
Project Light
I run a flash games website, Gaming Medley. I am hoping to get a more flash-gamesy template. The one used currently was designed for when it was a news aggregate. Besides the template, though, I think it runs effectively.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make it more popular? Why wouldn't you use it as your main source of flash games?


The design isn't BAD, per-se. It's just not optimal. You could have used nested DIVs to decrease page load time.

I did use nested DIVs. razz
One of my areas of expertise is page load speeds. I've been commissioned multiple times to improve front-end performance for websites.

Quote:
Quote:
———————————————————————————
| corner | ..repeated 1px wide filler image.. | corner |
———————————————————————————
| border | background-color filler for content | border |
————————————————————————————
| corner | ..repeated 1px wide filler image.. | corner |


If you did it like that, each corner would be it's own image, and the left and right content borders would be a 1px height image. You'd also be able to make your design dynamic to fit any screen resolution, but the way you've scripted the site, it's only compatible with a 1024x768 screen resolution.

A few notes, this would actually decrease loading speeds. It would require more elements in the DOM and more images (ergo more requests to the server).
The benefit is, yes, a fluid width template. However, I never wanted a fluid width template. It isn't "only compatible with 1024x768," but instead compatible with "1024x768 and above." I would have no use for a fluid-width template, since - as it is currently coded - only 5 games are returned per row. A wider template isn't going to make the database return more games on page load. Whenever I update the template, I will most likely make it load more games on page load, so fluid width will be more viable.

Quote:
I wouldn't use your site as my main source for flash games because there's no rating or popularity system.

Yes there is. There are even highest-rated games on the home page. The rating for a game appears directly below it when you are playing it, and to rate the game, you just click the ratings bar.

Quote:
I can't tell just based on game title whether I'm going to like the game I just clicked on, and if your users end up playing three games they don't really like, it's likely they'll just go elsewhere to play.

How would you propose I determine which games you will like and which you will not?
I would need tracking cookies, which have now come under strict laws for European visitors. I may implement this nonetheless in the next template, but for someone who has never visited before - so I have no tracking data of favorite game types - how would I know if you will like the game?
10_SciFiNerd_10's avatar

Quotable Explorer

Mine is www.referencereel.yolasite.com A lot of work was on it and alot more is to come! twisted
I still give it a 1 arrow
cool razz rolleyes smile biggrin heart i really like the pic at the bottom

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games