Welcome to Gaia! ::

I keep on hearing over and over again to use CSS and div layers. Some people don't like to use either. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tables or frames. If I choose not to use CSS or divs on my site, it doesn't mean that I don't know how or anything; just that for some reason I didn't want to use them.

Web page design does not revolve around CSS and divs.
Actually... yes, it does.

Tables are NOT MEANT FOR LAYOUT. [X]HTML should be CONTENT ONLY, not layout. Almost all [and ideally, all] layout should come from CSS.

Additional advantage: it's INCREDIBLY easy to redesign your site. Just <link> a different stylesheet.

Edit: Before you all flame me for being guilty of what I'm arguing against right now, I, today, read a crapload about XHTML, CSS, etc. Also, recently I experienced just how much CSS can do. This has affected my way of thinking about page design.
It all depends on how you want to design your site, really.

If you want a straight HTML site, that's your perrogative. And it's absolutely fine and standards compliant. It's just a "legacy" way of doing things, and most people are being urged to move over to the xHTML standard.

I have been trying to get away from straight HTML simply because it saves time, and has a lot of widespread differences between browsers. But for simple text formatting and pages, I still tend to use the ol' HTML 4.0 standard. Just imagine how much hot water the xHTML people would have me in if they found out that sometimes I still use (gasp!) font tags. wink

EDIT: I don't know if they have this thread already, but it would be great in the C&T Tech Forum.
iliveinagiantbucket
Pax ab Letum
iliveinagiantbucket
i know i posted it b4...but no one gave n e feedback crying can i get some if u guys arent too busy? biggrin thanx

www.akselwulf.net

C-

Faults:
No DOCTYPE.
You don't use XHTML.
You use tables instead of divs.
You don't link to your CSS stylesheet, which basically defeats the purpose of using CSS in the first place.
Got your javascript code from codelifter.com

Your biggest problem is that you haven't switched over to XHTML. It looks fine visually, but your code needs more work.

edit: sorry this got posted twice...i dunno y, gaia is goin crazy.

xhtml isnt that much different from html so i dont care to use it
ive used divs b4 and i dont care fer them...tables r better in my eyes
theres not much i would even have on a CSS stylesheet so theres no point in me usin one
whats wrong wit gettin my javascript from codelifter.com? i didnt feel like codin it so i got one, its completely legal and allowed as long as i left where i obtained it from in the code

thanx fer givin me feedback smile

XHTML makes your page load faster and look better on more browsers. It's not much harder to go the extra mile and make your page XHTML compliant, and there's no reason not to since it only gives benefits.

If you don't link to a style sheet, there's really no point in using CSS. Like XHTML, linking to a stylesheet only makes your site load faster since you can load the CSS style from your computer's cache, and the link tag is much smaller than even a few CSS tags, so your pages are smaller.

Divs are superior to tables in almost every way, it's a fact. Tables are meant to display tabular data, not to control your website's layout. That's what divs are for.

Basically, I keep saying XHTML, CSS, and Divs because that's the next progression to make between a mediocre to a good site. And, that's the reason you came to this thread in the first place.
<doublepost />
Pax ab Letum
iliveinagiantbucket
Pax ab Letum
iliveinagiantbucket
i know i posted it b4...but no one gave n e feedback crying can i get some if u guys arent too busy? biggrin thanx

www.akselwulf.net

C-

Faults:
No DOCTYPE.
You don't use XHTML.
You don't link to your CSS stylesheet, which basically defeats the purpose of using CSS in the first place.

Your biggest problem is that you haven't switched over to XHTML. It looks fine visually, but your code needs more work.

edit: sorry this got posted twice...i dunno y, gaia is goin crazy.

xhtml isnt that much different from html so i dont care to use it
ive used divs b4 and i dont care fer them...tables r better in my eyes
theres not much i would even have on a CSS stylesheet so theres no point in me usin one
whats wrong wit gettin my javascript from codelifter.com? i didnt feel like codin it so i got one, its completely legal and allowed as long as i left where i obtained it from in the code

thanx fer givin me feedback smile

XHTML makes your page load faster and look better on more browsers. It's not much harder to go the extra mile and make your page XHTML compliant, and there's no reason not to since it only gives benefits.

If you don't link to a style sheet, there's really no point in using CSS. Like XHTML, linking to a stylesheet only makes your site load faster since you can load the CSS style from your computer's cache, and the link tag is much smaller than even a few CSS tags, so your pages are smaller.

Divs are superior to tables in almost every way, it's a fact. Tables are meant to display tabular data, not to control your website's layout. That's what divs are for.

Basically, I keep saying XHTML, CSS, and Divs because that's the next progression to make between a mediocre to a good site. And, that's the reason you came to this thread in the first place.

thats ur opinion, but please dont talk to me like im an ignorant guy to webdesign...ive been paid a lot of money for sites i have done and i like my ways of coding...ur personal preference is not mine, sorry...i came to see what u guys thought of my site, not to tell me how to code it...im a professional webdesigner and frankly, it doesnt matter to me how YOU like YOUR sites coded, sorry
Pax ab Letum
Faults:
No DOCTYPE.
You don't use XHTML.

uau, you'll love my site, cept for the javascript part..

http://members.lycos.co.uk/wesker99/
Before I start, this isn't a review of your site.

I'm just going to say that you really really need to find a different host. Those ads definitely kill an otherwise cool looking design.

This is what I use:

IllusionFXNet (Long application process though)

Alasse also started a Free Hosting List in CT. You should do a search.
iliveinagiantbucket
thats ur opinion, but please dont talk to me like im an ignorant guy to webdesign...ive been paid a lot of money for sites i have done and i like my ways of coding...ur personal preference is not mine, sorry...i came to see what u guys thought of my site, not to tell me how to code it...im a professional webdesigner and frankly, it doesnt matter to me how YOU like YOUR sites coded, sorry

[assuming this claim is true] Probably the only reason you have been paid is because your clients don't know the difference. XHTML provides innumerable benefits over straight HTML.

And... you don't use CSS? Are you mad?!
SpazLink
iliveinagiantbucket

[assuming this claim is true] Probably the only reason you have been paid is because your clients don't know the difference. XHTML provides innumerable benefits over straight HTML.

Exactly, it's not a preference, it's a web standard. Also, I am a 16-year-old owner of a local web design business.

Read this for a better explanation of why it's important to code in XHTML from the people who set the web standard.

Anyone want to critique my site yet?
Pax ab Letum
SpazLink
iliveinagiantbucket

Exactly, it's not a preference, it's a web standard. Also, I am a 16-year-old owner of a local web design business.

Read this for a better explanation of why it's important to code in XHTML from the people who set the web standard.

why do u keep tellin me to read and read and read...i KNOW how to code xhtml...and YES it is a preference...xhtml is not even that much different...yes i know how to code it, but i would rather do html because i am faster at it and like it better
Rate my site! Don't be too harsh though!!!

Frying Tomatoes

Thanks. blaugh
Rate my site! Don't be too harsh though!!!

Frying Tomatoes

Thanks. blaugh
iliveinagiantbucket
Pax ab Letum
SpazLink
iliveinagiantbucket

why do u keep tellin me to read and read and read...i KNOW how to code xhtml...and YES it is a preference...xhtml is not even that much different...yes i know how to code it, but i would rather do html because i am faster at it and like it better

If you had read it you would know why I asked you to. It tells why XHTML is only an improvement over standard HTML and why you should switch over.

Look at it this way:

Standard HTML is like "kiddy speak". You know, that person who substitutes u for you and r for are. Sure it may be faster and their preference, but it is incorrect and makes them look stupid.

XHTML is like adding a couple letters to form words such as you and are. This is the correct way to spell the word and is read much more easily by humans (browsers)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff