Welcome to Gaia! ::

OK, so ever since I got my computer back from being serviced, I have this greet me upon boot:
User Image

I wasn't sure to do with it so I've just been closing it. However I've also noticed that every time I boot, Windows claims to be "Setting up your computer for the first time..." which is weird and adds a little extra time. I was wondering if these things were linked and how I could deal with them. In other words, what's the best thing to do with the prep tool, and how can I make Windows stop thinking it has to set up my computer for the first time?

Here's the basic information about my computer.
User Image
Raeoran
OK, so ever since I got my computer back from being serviced, I have this greet me upon boot:
User Image

I wasn't sure to do with it so I've just been closing it. However I've also noticed that every time I boot, Windows claims to be "Setting up your computer for the first time..." which is weird and adds a little extra time. I was wondering if these things were linked and how I could deal with them. In other words, what's the best thing to do with the prep tool, and how can I make Windows stop thinking it has to set up my computer for the first time?

Here's the basic information about my computer.
User Image
Right now when you login to your computer you are working in the "Administrator" account, yes? That isn't a good thing. That account should be disabled by default. So in a way, your computer never finished being setup.

The simplest advice for you at the moment would be to create a different user account. Go to Control Panel > Add or remove user accounts > Create a new account, and create an administrator (not standard) account. Name it whatever you'd like. Then restart your computer.

I've seen instances where the mere existence of a normal user account causes this setup process to finish properly and perform its cleanup tasks (like disabling the Administrator account again) and for some reason I've only consistently seen this with Toshiba. In any case, if that alone doesn't fix it let us know.
Minion4Hire
Right now when you login to your computer you are working in the "Administrator" account, yes? That isn't a good thing. That account should be disabled by default. So in a way, your computer never finished being setup.

The simplest advice for you at the moment would be to create a different user account. Go to Control Panel > Add or remove user accounts > Create a new account, and create an administrator (not standard) account. Name it whatever you'd like. Then restart your computer.

I've seen instances where the mere existence of a normal user account causes this setup process to finish properly and perform its cleanup tasks (like disabling the Administrator account again) and for some reason I've only consistently seen this with Toshiba. In any case, if that alone doesn't fix it let us know.
Is it possible to migrate all my documents, pictures, preferences, Chrome bookmarks, etc. from the Administrator account I've been using?
Raeoran
Minion4Hire

Is it possible to migrate all my documents, pictures, preferences, Chrome bookmarks, etc. from the Administrator account I've been using?
Yes.

If you'd like, just create a folder in the root of C: then copy your entire user account folder (literally C: > Users > Administrator ) into that new folder. Although it's possible that the files in that Users > Administrator folder will still be available afterword, I'm uncertain offhand and it's just easier to do the above.
sysprep should not be running, at all. someone at toshiba is sleeping on the job.

1: back up whatever you want to keep.
2:choose "generalize" in the drop box and restart, it should continue the normal setup process.

you may need to enter the key on the bottom of the laptop.
Yuki the Third
sysprep should not be running, at all. someone at toshiba is sleeping on the job.

2:choose "generalize" in the drop box and restart, it should continue the normal setup process.

The problem is that since it's something with Toshiba's setup process that has gone awry, just trying to complete sysprep often doesn't work. It's work trying, but I've found it doesn't usually solve the problem.
Minion4Hire
Yuki the Third

The problem is that since it's something with Toshiba's setup process that has gone awry, just trying to complete sysprep often doesn't work. It's work trying, but I've found it doesn't usually solve the problem.
They my have just booted into audit mode accidentally by hitting the right keys. It's happened... especially if you have cats.
Thanks for responding. I just have a couple questions about the next step:

1. What's the downside to using the Administrator account for general purposes?
2. If I'm creating a new account and then rebooting, wouldn't it be easier to just copy the contents of the Administrator folder to the new account folder in C/Users?
Raeoran

2. If I'm creating a new account and then rebooting, wouldn't it be easier to just copy the contents of the Administrator folder to the new account folder in C/Users?

1. If the default Administrator account is enabled it may make the computer less secure as malware trying to run as Administrator becomes that much easier - it's too common of a variable, although UAC has made it less of an issue.
2. The account's user folder isn't created until you log into it.
Minion4Hire
Raeoran

1. If the default Administrator account is enabled it may make the computer less secure as malware trying to run as Administrator becomes that much easier - it's too common of a variable, although UAC has made it less of an issue.
Ah, I see. Well, I actually already created the new account. When I booted and signed into it the sysptrep dialog still came up. Should I just start using that account now, or is there another step I should take to get done with sysprep?
Raeoran
Minion4Hire
Raeoran

Ah, I see. Well, I actually already created the new account. When I booted and signed into it the sysptrep dialog still came up. Should I just start using that account now, or is there another step I should take to get done with sysprep?
You probably need to complete the OOBE then. I'm not sure if this sysprep dialog can be easily disabled. There may be a command line prompt, but again I'm not certain.

EDIT: You don't need the generalize checkbox checked though.
Minion4Hire
Raeoran
Minion4Hire
Raeoran

You probably need to complete the OOBE then. I'm not sure if this sysprep dialog can be easily disabled. There may be a command line prompt, but again I'm not certain.

EDIT: You don't need the generalize checkbox checked though.
generalize will close out sysprep and ready it to be shipped to the customer for setup, iirc.
So I did a little research and it appears there's a registry fix for this:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=294816

I think this might be better than going ahead with sysprep? AFAIK it's concerned with installing Windows and I don't want to reset anything, since I'm pretty happy with how things are configured right now (I've migrated off the Administrator account and everything i need is here)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff