Welcome to Gaia! ::

So I bought my computer back in February and it was very good with gaming until June when I got a BSoD and my graphics card died. Since then, I have replaced my graphics card with a superior one but everything I play (including low-graphic games like Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound) get just terrible FPS, I am lucky if I can even get 15-20 FPS on something simple like Minecraft or Starcraft 2. I have had 3 different tech people look at it but NOBODY can figure out what is wrong with my computer and why it is acting this way, they have done multiple diagnostics and so far they all said "I don't see the problem, your hardware is just fine!"

And before you ask, YES I have updated all my drivers. And YES, I have done multiple OS reinstalls and nothing has changed.

If anybody can help me, that would be awesome. I wasted a whole tax refund on getting this computer that only lasted me 5 months.

Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
Ram: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @666MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7P55-M
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (EVGA)
Storage: 698GB Western Digital WDC

Thanks in advanced for any help I can get

Divine Sage

johnchief117
So I bought my computer back in February and it was very good with gaming until June when I got a BSoD and my graphics card died. Since then, I have replaced my graphics card with a superior one but everything I play (including low-graphic games like Minecraft, Terraria and Starbound) get just terrible FPS, I am lucky if I can even get 15-20 FPS on something simple like Minecraft or Starcraft 2. I have had 3 different tech people look at it but NOBODY can figure out what is wrong with my computer and why it is acting this way, they have done multiple diagnostics and so far they all said "I don't see the problem, your hardware is just fine!"

And before you ask, YES I have updated all my drivers. And YES, I have done multiple OS reinstalls and nothing has changed.

If anybody can help me, that would be awesome. I wasted a whole tax refund on getting this computer that only lasted me 5 months.

Specs

Have your memory been tested? It may have bit errors that are normally hard to detect. Actually, have you tried installing MORE memory? 4GB of memory is quite frankly bare minimal just for the OS itself. Your game might have insufficient memory to perform at its best. Try using at least 8GB.

Dapper Noob

I'm pretty sure your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. That's a very old i5 (first generation I believe). Upgrade your CPU. Your video card is not the problem (it's actually a decent one). Also, 8GB of RAM might help you out too. For reference, that video card usually is paired up with 3rd gen cpus for optimal performance.

Also things you need to make sure in these situations:
1) CPU - As stated above a CPU needs to be update with the current modern video cards, otherwise you experience a bottleneck. The video card will be working so fast but the CPU cannot keep up with it. Either overclock it if you have good cooling and experience or get a new CPU. I recommend the latter.. I don't think overclocking will help you.

2) Powersupply - Typically cards like GTX 650 and higher, I recommend at least 500W of power. Otherwise you will find that you may be getting into a lot of blue screens and things of that nature. Be sure to check your powersupply.

Dangerous Genius

15,600 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Object of Affection 150
fzxt
I'm pretty sure your CPU is bottlenecking your graphics card. That's a very old i5 (first generation I believe). Upgrade your CPU. Your video card is not the problem (it's actually a decent one). Also, 8GB of RAM might help you out too. For reference, that video card usually is paired up with 3rd gen cpus for optimal performance.

1) CPU - As stated above a CPU needs to be update with the current modern video cards, otherwise you experience a bottleneck. The video card will be working so fast but the CPU cannot keep up with it. Either overclock it if you have good cooling and experience or get a new CPU. I recommend the latter.. I don't think overclocking will help you.

2) Powersupply - Typically cards like GTX 650 and higher, I recommend at least 500W of power. Otherwise you will find that you may be getting into a lot of blue screens and things of that nature. Be sure to check your powersupply.

Didn't Intel change the socket each generation i-series processor uses making it impossible for her to upgrade to a 3rd gen from a 1st gen?
Flemmes Felares
johnchief117

Specs

Have your memory been tested? It may have bit errors that are normally hard to detect. Actually, have you tried installing MORE memory? 4GB of memory is quite frankly bare minimal just for the OS itself. Your game might have insufficient memory to perform at its best. Try using at least 8GB.
Well the people who have checked my computer said nothing was wrong with the memory, but I guess I will upgrade the memory anyway and see if that works. Thanks biggrin
fzxt

Hmm well then I guess I will try saving up for a new CPU, Power Supply and memory. Thanks smile

Dapper Noob

Kyuta Syuko
fzxt

Didn't Intel change the socket each generation i-series processor uses making it impossible for her to upgrade to a 3rd gen from a 1st gen?

Yeah with their current motherboard, they can't just pop in a 3rd gen chip since they use LGA1155 sockets where as OP's uses LGA1156, so they would have to get a new motherboard.

I was just speaking more generally that they would have to upgrade their processor, obviously motherboard probably as well.

Dangerous Genius

15,600 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Object of Affection 150
fzxt
Kyuta Syuko

Yeah with their current motherboard, they can't just pop in a 3rd gen chip since they use LGA1155 sockets where as OP's uses LGA1156, so they would have to get a new motherboard.

I was just speaking more generally that they would have to upgrade their processor, obviously motherboard probably as well.

Obvious to us. Might not be so obvious to him.
fzxt

BS. Those games run well on my Core2Quad.
Point 1 is complete BS.

If it's not hardware related then it could have something to do with your bios config. We could help you out more if you provide a picture of it.

Also, heads up, your 650 is an entry-level card. there is a significant difference in performance between 650 and 650 Ti.

Dapper Noob

Fapbuddy
fzxt

Point 1 is complete BS.

If it's not hardware related then it could have something to do with your bios config. We could help you out more if you provide a picture of it.

Also, heads up, your 650 is an entry-level card. there is a significant difference in performance between 650 and 650 Ti.

CPU Bottlenecking is not complete BS. I'll admit that the reason why those games (SC2 and Minecraft) don't run perfectly is strange, but johnchief was speaking on a more general scale saying his FPS was constantly bad. Edit: After doing a little more research on his CPU, a GTX 650 shouldn't hold it back (infact he can run GTX 660 if he wanted to). (evidence)

Also to johnchief, what resolution are you playing at?

Divine Sage

Actually, have you investigated the cause behind your BSoD and graphics card failure? Whatever caused it to fail could also be affecting your new card.

Interesting Informer

fzxt
Fapbuddy
fzxt

Point 1 is complete BS.

CPU Bottlenecking is not complete BS.

explain 140 fps on arkham city with my gtx 970 with a second gen i3

it's locked to 60 for monitor hz obvs but 140 is what the bench is telling me

Dapper Noob

The Value of Pi
fzxt
Fapbuddy
fzxt

Point 1 is complete BS.

You are most likely bottlenecking it, but it doesn't matter because the GTX 970 is extremely powerful, and the Sandy Bridge processors are actually quite good, so the bottleneck is probably tiny therefore you can't notice it (especially in a last gen game like Arkham City, GTX 970 is a next gen card).

If you seriously think CPU bottlenecking is BS, SLI GTX 970, 1920x1080 with your processor and tell me what happens.

Interesting Informer

fzxt
The Value of Pi
fzxt
Fapbuddy
fzxt

Point 1 is complete BS.

You are most likely bottlenecking it, but it doesn't matter because the GTX 970 is extremely powerful, and the Sandy Bridge processors are actually quite good, so the bottleneck is probably tiny therefore you can't notice it (especially in a last gen game like Arkham City, GTX 970 is a next gen card).

If you seriously think CPU bottlenecking is BS, SLI GTX 970, 1920x1080 with your processor and tell me what happens.
benches in a much better system get the same frames you dingbat

its why i bought the card in the first place

Dapper Noob

The Value of Pi
fzxt
The Value of Pi
fzxt
Fapbuddy
fzxt

Point 1 is complete BS.

benches in a much better system get the same frames you dingbat

its why i bought the card in the first place

Dingbat? Keep it mature, it's just video cards.

I fail to see the entire point of your comments, just because your CPU may or may not bottleneck your card, are you going to say CPU bottlenecks don't exist because of your singular experience? What are you trying to disprove here with your experience anyways..? Please try to answer these in your next reply, we are getting off topic.

Also, like I said, if you want to see real bottleneck, get dual 970's and tell me what happens. Your benchmark will be lower compared to other CPU's with dual 970's.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff