Welcome to Gaia! ::

For the past couple of years I have been trying to work with Final Cut Pro. This video app in my opinion is all over the place. You are very limited to what you can do with videos. I would love to start filming and editing videos again, but i'm getting very frustrated using iMovie and Final Cut Pro. I would love any feedback on video editors anyone has used in the past/present. I feel as though this would give me more motivation to get back into it.

^.^ Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Shirtless Genius

10,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
Sapphire J
For the past couple of years I have been trying to work with Final Cut Pro. This video app in my opinion is all over the place. You are very limited to what you can do with videos. I would love to start filming and editing videos again, but i'm getting very frustrated using iMovie and Final Cut Pro. I would love any feedback on video editors anyone has used in the past/present. I feel as though this would give me more motivation to get back into it.

Sony Vegas Pro

Dapper Noob

I second Sony Vegas Pro. It was very easy to use in my opinion, and very powerful (Good for sound editing too, if you're into that sort of thing).

There's also tons of resources/tutorials on youtube.

Aged Noob

550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Timid 100
Sapphire J

On Mac I think the only other options available to you for video editing are lightworks and shotcut.

Lightworks is a video editor that has been around for decades and has been used by professional film makers for some big titles. It will probably have any feature you could want but I've heard it's got somewhat of a learning curve.
Lightworks can be used for free if you wan to give it a try and just about every feature is available in the free version EXCEPT the ability to export to multiple video codecs. The free version of lightworks limits you to export video to H.264 and 720p. If you start to pay the monthly subscription though you get the ability to export to a ton of formats in higher resolutions.

Shotcut is completely free but it's still in fairly early development. The developer for it used to work on Kdenlive, which I use from time to time, so he's got quite a bit of experience with making video editors. It should be fairly intuitive to use and the developer has some big plans for it. Last I heard the developer for the project was in talks with Wikipedia to help turn the Shotcut and Kdenlive engines into Wikipedia's very own exclusive video server for their video content. That's a pretty big deal and if it happens there will probably be a huge increase in developer interest in the project to help out.
kenjitamura
Sapphire J

On Mac I think the only other options available to you for video editing are lightworks and shotcut.

Lightworks is a video editor that has been around for decades and has been used by professional film makers for some big titles. It will probably have any feature you could want but I've heard it's got somewhat of a learning curve.
Lightworks can be used for free if you wan to give it a try and just about every feature is available in the free version EXCEPT the ability to export to multiple video codecs. The free version of lightworks limits you to export video to H.264 and 720p. If you start to pay the monthly subscription though you get the ability to export to a ton of formats in higher resolutions.

Shotcut is completely free but it's still in fairly early development. The developer for it used to work on Kdenlive, which I use from time to time, so he's got quite a bit of experience with making video editors. It should be fairly intuitive to use and the developer has some big plans for it. Last I heard the developer for the project was in talks with Wikipedia to help turn the Shotcut and Kdenlive engines into Wikipedia's very own exclusive video server for their video content. That's a pretty big deal and if it happens there will probably be a huge increase in developer interest in the project to help out.

Thank you so much ^.^

That was extremely helpful!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas