Welcome to Gaia! ::

Janna565
Minion4Hire
Janna565
Is there a way to disable her laptop's keyboard from spamming letters? Cause she can't work on it at all even with a usb keyboard.
Realistically you would need to physically remove the keyboard. Easily disabling your laptop keyboard from your OS would be bad as it would be very difficult to get it working again.

If you look on iFixit you might be able to find a tear-down guide for this model of laptop that will show you how to remove the keyboard. Otherwise, unless you want to risk causing further damage to your laptop, you probably shouldn't try this. Just take it in somewhere. Even if it's just to pay $20 or $30 for someone to remove it properly.

I'm not saying you're incapable of removing a laptop keyboard. I'm just saying...
Lol I meant disable it software wise not hardware
I get that. It's just difficult. Partly intentionally so that people can't screw things up accidentally.

You may be able to find a key-remapper that allows you to disable individual keys. They generally aren't designed to just disable keys though. Also, depending on how the keyboard is broken/the program functions even this may not work.

Fashionable Shopper

Oh, oh, how can you be good enough?
User Image

What are you using right now to type? If its another laptop then let her use that for her homework.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Janna565
Saruwatari Kooji
Janna565
We plugged a usb keyboard for now, meh

So...the computer works just fine, but the keyboard is borked?

Do you know anyone that is good with computers or does computer repairs? If all the issue is a fried keyboard, that is ridiculously easy and fairly cheap to fix.
Oh really how? Tell us heart

So let me get this straight. I have been telling you that the keyboard itself needs to be replaced and you ignore me, but when Saruwatari says that the keyboard itself needs to be replaced, then you suddenly ask about that? WHY?
God Emperor Akhenaton
Janna565
Saruwatari Kooji
Janna565

Do you know anyone that is good with computers or does computer repairs? If all the issue is a fried keyboard, that is ridiculously easy and fairly cheap to fix.

So let me get this straight. I have been telling you that the keyboard itself needs to be replaced and you ignore me, but when Saruwatari says that the keyboard itself needs to be replaced, then you suddenly ask about that? WHY?
I read all and everyone's messages and if I haven't replied i'st because the problem hasn't been solved yet and as I've stated she is using a usb keyboard for now so it's not ignoring its just meh don't know what to say or do
God Emperor Akhenaton
Janna565
Saruwatari Kooji
Janna565

What you said:

"It is broken. It can be fixed."

What Saruwatari said:

"It is broken. You can easily fix this."

They followed that by asking how/why it is easy or how to fix it. People want an easy fix. Keyboards are relatively easy, but from the quality of the OP's posts I wouldn't personally recommend they replace it themselves. I guess it can't get much worse than it is, but... yeah. But if Saruwatari is willing to walk them through it, more power to him.

That's my perspective anyhow.
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Janna565
Saruwatari Kooji
Janna565

What you said:

What Saruwatari said:

They followed that by asking how/why it is easy or how to fix it. People want an easy fix. Keyboards are relatively easy, but from the quality of the OP's posts I wouldn't personally recommend they replace it themselves. I guess it can't get much worse than it is, but... yeah. But if Saruwatari is willing to walk them through it, more power to him.

It is only easy once you learn how to do it. Keyboards come off depending of the laptop. A Toshiba Satellite has screws under a plastic strip while an HP Mini has screws behind the battery. It's all different.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Janna565
Saruwatari Kooji
Janna565

What you said:

What Saruwatari said:

It is only easy once you learn how to do it. Keyboards come off depending of the laptop. A Toshiba Satellite has screws under a plastic strip while an HP Mini has screws behind the battery. It's all different.
In terms of a general sense of knowing how to replace any laptop keyboard I would agree, but for a specific model you can easily give someone instructions.

You're generally looking at between 2-5 screws to remove, occasionally the odd "hinge cover" or "keyboard cover" as noted, and then it's just the ZIF connector. It's really not a difficult task, it's just knowing what steps to perform. Instructions are all you really need. Of course if you're "going in blind" and have zero experience then you're gonna have a bad time.

But must manufacturers consider keyboards CRUs or "customer replaceable units". As such they are intentionally easy to replace.
I'm 90% positive it's only the keyboard. If she needs it that badly, let it dry a bit more, turn it on, log into Windows, or whichever OS you use, and disable the keyboard in the device manager. After that either use the onscreen keyboard found in "accessories", or pickup a USB keyboard for 10 bucks from walmart.
Tvangesti
I'm 90% positive it's only the keyboard. If she needs it that badly, let it dry a bit more, turn it on, log into Windows, or whichever OS you use, and disable the keyboard in the device manager. After that either use the onscreen keyboard found in "accessories", or pickup a USB keyboard for 10 bucks from walmart.
She is using a usb keyboard for now, just that its sometimes annoying when the laptop starts to spam q for now it stopped lets hope it wont do that again><
Janna565
Tvangesti
She is using a usb keyboard for now, just that its sometimes annoying when the laptop starts to spam q for now it stopped lets hope it wont do that again><

Just disable the onboard keyboard in the device manager.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff