Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey my sister spilled coke into her laptop it didn't go all in but her keyboard seems to not work at all or keep spamming the same letter we heve already restarted it.
Is it best to let it dry? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY


Okay, now, did you try to turn it on?
Yuki the Third
DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY

DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT ON.
REMOVE THE POWER CABLE AND BATTERY


Okay, now, did you try to turn it on?

Yeah she did lol but now its off only for like 10mins
computer is fried, get a new one.
Whenever water comes in contact with an electronic device, it bridges circuits that were not meant to be bridged. That is called "Shorting out". Or in other words, any part that liquid comes in contact with dies and it sounds like your keyboard is just that. I would recommend taking it to a repair shop or if you know how to fix laptops, order a new keyboard yourself.
Scriptkitten's avatar

Familiar Phantom

Yes, it may very well be toast. I say do not turn it on again and just let it dry for about a week or so. if it still does not work definitely see about having it repaired. Worst case, and if it is only the keyboard not functioning, after it completely dries, you could just attach a separate USB keyboard so you can at least continue to use it while you're shopping for a new one.

    Hello there. (:

    It isn't necessarily the end of the world. It depends on a few things (and a bit of luck).


    First of all, it depends on how much was actually spilled onto the laptop, what was spilled and where it was spilled.

    If on the keyboard only, it again depends on whether the laptop has a tray underneath the keyboard or not (such a tray keeps liquid from coming in contact with the rest of the computer).


    I spilled wine on my laptop once. What I did was immediately turn it off and unplug everything. I put it, open, with the keyboard facing down (first over a towel) and left it for well over a day before I tried turning it on again. Be patient and keep it turned off and keyboard facing down so the liquid doesn't seep further.

    (It is, for the record, the laptop I am using right now - I was lucky, I suppose, as it got out of it undamaged and even the keyboard functions).


    Keyboard damage:
    You might find keys sticking or whatever because there is coke underneath, which becomes quite sticky fast, and this may not change much even after it dries. Plugging in an extra keyboard solves that if the computer itself seems to function.

    There's a risk there is damage that doesn't immediately show, as well, so if the computer does seem fine after drying, I would still recommend backing up the things that are important to you while you have the chance.


    Best of luck to your sister!
Zight

    Hello there. (:

    It isn't necessarily the end of the world. It depends on a few things (and a bit of luck).


    First of all, it depends on how much was actually spilled onto the laptop, what was spilled and where it was spilled.

    If on the keyboard only, it again depends on whether the laptop has a tray underneath the keyboard or not (such a tray keeps liquid from coming in contact with the rest of the computer).


    I spilled wine on my laptop once. What I did was immediately turn it off and unplug everything. I put it, open, with the keyboard facing down (first over a towel) and left it for well over a day before I tried turning it on again. Be patient and keep it turned off and keyboard facing down so the liquid doesn't seep further.

    (It is, for the record, the laptop I am using right now - I was lucky, I suppose, as it got out of it undamaged and even the keyboard functions).


    Keyboard damage:
    You might find keys sticking or whatever because there is coke underneath, which becomes quite sticky fast, and this may not change much even after it dries. Plugging in an extra keyboard solves that if the computer itself seems to function.

    There's a risk there is damage that doesn't immediately show, as well, so if the computer does seem fine after drying, I would still recommend backing up the things that are important to you while you have the chance.


    Best of luck to your sister!


Thanks though she needs her laptop tomororow
If it's only in the keyboard you could try taking off the keys and cleaning them individually, it might help ease the stickiness. They should come off pretty easily if you tweak them up by the corners, but don't force them. Don't try and clean the entire keyboard, you'll get water into the connectors and might make it even worse. And make sure you don't take all the keys off at once; I did that once and then had to borrow someone else's computer to work out where they all went again.
Whoa. That's bad luck about the laptop. Have you gotten it fixed yet?
We still havent been able to solve it, it keeps spammnig the f letter what should we do damnit, she has homework to do and learn sad She spilled it on the right side of her laptop and only a little bit, it is not sticky actually hmm, but it keeps spaming the f letter or another letter meh, I really wish we could fix this, she has exams gonk
Janna565
We still havent been able to solve it, it keeps spammnig the f letter what should we do damnit, she has homework to do and learn sad She spilled it on the right side of her laptop and only a little bit, it is not sticky actually hmm, but it keeps spaming the f letter or another letter meh, I really wish we could fix this, she has exams gonk

It seems like the keyboard is broken. That can be replaced.
Sonic Offline's avatar

Dedicated Man-Lover

9,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200
Janna565
We still havent been able to solve it, it keeps spammnig the f letter what should we do damnit, she has homework to do and learn sad She spilled it on the right side of her laptop and only a little bit, it is not sticky actually hmm, but it keeps spaming the f letter or another letter meh, I really wish we could fix this, she has exams gonk
Sounds like you need to get another laptop from somewhere. Borrow one from a friend?

The fact that you turned it on again so soon was incredibly stupid, by the way.
Sonic Offline
Janna565
We still havent been able to solve it, it keeps spammnig the f letter what should we do damnit, she has homework to do and learn sad She spilled it on the right side of her laptop and only a little bit, it is not sticky actually hmm, but it keeps spaming the f letter or another letter meh, I really wish we could fix this, she has exams gonk
Sounds like you need to get another laptop from somewhere. Borrow one from a friend?

The fact that you turned it on again so soon was incredibly stupid, by the way.
Well she needs to get very important stuff done or the consequences are worse:/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games