Welcome to Gaia! ::

We have a SONY DVD player (not sure on the model; it's a few years old and plays standard DVDs though) and we unhooked the cables to try and do something and when we plugged them back in it started playing in black and white. The TV works fine; it still plays cable crap in color and our other DVD player in color (but it isn't plugged into surround sound)
The cables in the DVD are as follows:
•S Video
•Standard A/V to TV

We can't figure out how to get color back
It isn't high definition and it used to work.
Anyone have any ideas?
I think i know the problem...
do you have any equipment between your DVD player and your TV?
Surround sound.
We have this huge box thing that switches it between different things (CD, DVD, VHS, etc) and it needs to be on or else the DVD player won't even turn on.
That's it as far as I know
raposa123
We have this huge box thing that switches it between different things (CD, DVD, VHS, etc) and it needs to be on or else the DVD player won't even turn on.
thats your problem. if you're connecting s-video to that, there needs to be an s-video cable connecting to the TV from that box as well. even though all it takes to put the full s-video signal on a single composite video cable is a tiny capacitor that costs 10 cents in bulk, a lot of switches are just THAT cheaply manufactured.

thats the short, here's the long:
S-video has 4 pins. one is luma, one is chroma, the other 2 are ground
prior to the advent of color TV, all the signal needed was the luma.
things got complicated when color tv came around. Composite cables carry luma and chroma, with a slight overlap.
s-video carries luma and chroma on 2 different wires, thus no overlap, and better quality.
since modern TVs can accept luma without chroma for backwards compatibility reasons, but not the other way around, the switches are cheaply manufactured to only relay the luma onto the composite cable. thus giving you crystal-clear picture ... in black and white.
I don't believe it's the S Video goes to the surround system though.
I think it goes straight to the TV.
Today I was jiggling the S video cable around while the DVD player was on and color flickered back for a second but I had to hold it there.
Now, I can't get it to come back.
Sooooo is this just a matter of replacing the cable now?
Probably. It sounds like the S-Video cable just has a loose connection. A new one is cheap.

Just for the love of all that is, don't spend more than $10 for a 3-foot cable - you're getting ripped off badly if you do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games