Welcome to Gaia! ::

Rainbow Lover

22,625 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Married 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
because someone suggested it and I was wondering if anyone else has it? I was wondering if there was a way to run a pc game (from a cd/dvd) and have it work on linux or how to personalize ubuntu like a very pretty theme thats easy to install?

Any tips or helpful advice? I wat to kinda learn linux for school in case I have to give up windows ( I;m tired of buying new os every 2 years neutral I can't afford that)

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I hear WINE is pretty good at making Windows stuff run on Linux. Not sure about external media but it's still worth a shot.
Lanackse-Kanvae
I hear WINE is pretty good at making Windows stuff run on Linux. Not sure about external media but it's still worth a shot.

Games on linux (Or with/?) is better for games afaik

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
It's possible to install Windows games on Linux using WINE, but it's not something I would casually suggest to a beginner. It helps to know some things about how both operating systems work before you go down that path.

You can install Steam for Linux and play many games through Steam instead.

Or there are some games which are designed to run on Linux.
anadentone
I was wondering if there was a way to run a pc game (from a cd/dvd) and have it work on linux
Yes and no. It's not going to run games from CD/DVD directly - it needs the program Wine to do that, and it doesn't always work well. Many games work, but many more don't. That's because Wine is a re-implementation of the Windows software interfaces, and they did it from scratch. It's a fantastic project, but they're working uphill.

On the other hand, there's Steam. Steam has hundreds of games on Linux now (in the SteamOS/Linux section of the store), including several games from Valve Software, a ton of new Indie games, and a few other major games like Civilization V. (And some of them run better on Linux than they ever did on Windows.)
anadentone
or how to personalize ubuntu like a very pretty theme thats easy to install?
I don't use Ubuntu myself (I don't like Unity and there are things that I don't like about the Ubuntu project itself), but my understanding is that the "myunity" package (which you can install from Synaptic) lets you install themes somehow. Sites like UbuntuThemes.org also have a lot of themes for Gnome Shell (which isn't the default on Ubuntu) and GTK3, but they're not as easy to install as they should be.
anadentone
Any tips or helpful advice? I wat to kinda learn linux for school in case I have to give up windows ( I;m tired of buying new os every 2 years neutral I can't afford that)
Use it. Just sit down and use it. If you need to do something, google around, ask questions, and learn how to do it. Don't just copy instructions from somewhere - that's just a recipe for pain - actually sit down and learn what those instructions are telling you to do.

The most important thing of all is that you can't be afraid to learn something new.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff