Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I have an Alcatel One touch fierce and I'm wondering if it is safe to root it. I've known people who rooted their android devices but I've also seen that there are some risks. Is it worth it? I would love the customization and free apps.

Divine Sage

I Am EarthBound
I have an Alcatel One touch fierce and I'm wondering if it is safe to root it. I've known people who rooted their android devices but I've also seen that there are some risks. Is it worth it? I would love the customization and free apps.

Is your phone out of warranty or you do not care about warranty? If yes, go for it. The chances of you permanently bricking your phone is very slim. Just make sure you do your due diligence and check the hash codes as well as compatibility before flashing.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

I've had some funny problems with my two Androids (both Samsungs) when I've rooted them. Their Internet would get partially ******** up and not be able to load certain sites. The phone couldn't even check for OTA updates after I had restored the update system files and I had to completely rerom it with Odin.

So... unless you enjoy weird problems like that, I'd nix rooting the phone.

User Image

Dedicated Smoker

12,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Flemmes Felares
I Am EarthBound

Is your phone out of warranty or you do not care about warranty? If yes, go for it. The chances of you permanently bricking your phone is very slim. Just make sure you do your due diligence and check the hash codes as well as compatibility before flashing.

I'm sorry, but I am no the most familiar with those terms. Mind explaining?

Divine Sage

I Am EarthBound
Flemmes Felares
I Am EarthBound

I'm sorry, but I am no the most familiar with those terms. Mind explaining?

You should definitely find a reliable guide when you do this.

Bricking means to corrupt your firmware to where it can no longer boot up or run. Your device essentially becomes a useless paper weight, metaphorically, a brick.

A hash code is a line of code used to verify the integrity of a file, making sure every single bit of the intended file is there and intact. Developers will usually give you a hash code for you to check your download against to make sure no part of the file is missing in the transfer. if you flash your phone using a file that is corrupt or incomplete, you will almost certainly end up killing your phone, or "bricking" it.
Rooting your device entails that you remove many system critical components associated with the operating system's security. If you REALLY need to use an application that requires rooting the device, I would strongly suggest that you look for alternatives beforehand.

For example, many Android OSs will verify the integrity of system critical components prior to the device booting up. This ensures that malicious software isn't associated with normal boot functions. Rooting the device removes this feature and makes the device vulnerable. If damage from malicious software is present, this makes it exceedingly difficult to 'revert' the device to it's factory default settings.

Before you decide on in, it's worth mentioning that performing a Factory Data Reset on the device will not undo this change. Those 'restrictions' are put in place for a reason, and the majority of them are designed with the security of your information and network in mind.
I Am EarthBound

I just rooted my phone, i think having a good research and looking up on forums will help.
Also you need to make sure that files and drivers are all upto date....bricking is possible if you dont follow the right procedures. One more point, with an Apple product you need to Jailbreak to get free apps. However, this is not the same case with Android devices, so if you're looking to root to get free apps then it's possible without rooting your device. Anyways, wish you good luck. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff