Welcome to Gaia! ::

ok i have a windows XP computer with 256mb of DDR SDRAM, and a 40GB hard drive...

heres the situation:

i added an extra 20GB hard drive with windows 95 on it, i turned my computer on and nothing happened, everything starts running except either my grapohics port or my operating system because nothing appears on my screen, the power light on my pc doesnt turn on either but everything inside my computer is working.

can someone tell me WTF is wrong with my computer?
im desperate...
Restart you computer and, before windows boots, open the BIOS. In there you should be able to choose which of your drives that boots first, chose you cd-drive. Now pop in your xp-cd, this will get your computer to boot from the cd instead of the hd. Now you can enter your computer and format the new drive. Then shut down your computer, take the cd out and turn it on again.

That should fix you problem.
GeoffSano
ok i have a windows XP computer with 256mb of DDR SDRAM, and a 40GB hard drive...

heres the situation:

i added an extra 20GB hard drive with windows 95 on it, i turned my computer on and nothing happened, everything starts running except either my grapohics port or my operating system because nothing appears on my screen, the power light on my pc doesnt turn on either but everything inside my computer is working.

can someone tell me WTF is wrong with my computer?
im desperate...
ok how can you tell everything else is working ... if the fans start but you hear nothing else it could be the proc has died

then theres beep codes if it's something after that tilll hte hard drive spins up

now heres the question are you seeing ANYTHING on the screen {sence everything before the shiny windows xp load screen is the bios} if not ...

unplug each componet one at a time ... for each one try to power up the system again ... leave the memmory for last ... if you computer acts the same with out memmory {fans turn on but nothing else} then your proc is shot
nothing appears on the screen, not even BIOS. everything inside the case is running, even the hard drive, cd drive, and the DVD drive...
ive replaced the memory with a brand new chip and it still doesnt work...
GeoffSano
nothing appears on the screen, not even BIOS. everything inside the case is running, even the hard drive, cd drive, and the DVD drive...
ive replaced the memory with a brand new chip and it still doesnt work...
does it give you beeps when you try powering the system on WITHOUT memory
nope...like the topic title says: Serious issue...lol
GeoffSano
nope...like the topic title says: Serious issue...lol
ok so without memory in the system you don't get a beep code ... welcome to sucks ville it's one of two things ... your mobo or your processor
Try starting up the computer without the extra hard drive in it.

Also make sure all the cables are pushed in and facing the right direction.

Double check the jumpers on your drives if you have more than one drive on the same IDE channel.
ya thats what i thought it was originally...i am having the electronics department at my school take a look at it so maybe they can tell me my problem

also... i might add that i am in a computer shop so im not stupid when it comes to computers...i have all the jumpers in the right places...and ive tried it without the hard drive and thats when it started screwing up...right when i added it...then i took it out and i had the same problem...

crying
GeoffSano
ya thats what i thought it was originally...i am having the electronics department at my school take a look at it so maybe they can tell me my problem

also... i might add that i am in a computer shop so im not stupid when it comes to computers...i have all the jumpers in the right places...and ive tried it without the hard drive and thats when it started screwing up...right when i added it...then i took it out and i had the same problem...

crying

Were you trying to run RAID or anything of that sort? Try a different 3d card, to see if it will display anything? most mobos' have a light on them somewhere... is that light inside green or red? Tho it seems stupid, is the mobo grounded properly? (maybe when you put in the other hd you moved it or soemthing?) I've had that happen, where somehow the friggin' thing was touching metal and my computer wouldn't boot up. Did you try a different power supply? (sometimes they start going bad and start giving the wrong voltages, everythign will still turn on, but if your card is getting wrong voltage, it may not display) Try taking everything out of your case, put your mobo on a cardboard box or something of that nature. Plug in your RAM stick, vid card, and power... plug the monitor inot your vid card... if your still getting nothing... then it would be suggested that it's the mobo. All mobo's have a beep system to tell you what's wrong, if your hearing none... then try a new mobo.
HelixFelix
GeoffSano

crying

Were you trying to run RAID or anything of that sort? Try a different 3d card, to see if it will display anything? most mobos' have a light on them somewhere... is that light inside green or red? Tho it seems stupid, is the mobo grounded properly? (maybe when you put in the other hd you moved it or soemthing?) I've had that happen, where somehow the friggin' thing was touching metal and my computer wouldn't boot up. Did you try a different power supply? (sometimes they start going bad and start giving the wrong voltages, everythign will still turn on, but if your card is getting wrong voltage, it may not display) Try taking everything out of your case, put your mobo on a cardboard box or something of that nature. Plug in your RAM stick, vid card, and power... plug the monitor inot your vid card... if your still getting nothing... then it would be suggested that it's the mobo. All mobo's have a beep system to tell you what's wrong, if your hearing none... then try a new mobo.

thats cool...i was just informed that it was my mobo..lol
thats gonna cost a few $$$

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas