Welcome to Gaia! ::

Doing my first build (on a budget), and I found this cheap (yet effective) motherboard.
My question is, do I need a full-size case, or can I just throw it in a midsize case?
I'm guessing that depends on the type of heatsink/graphics card/power supply, so..

User Image
Why are you getting an SSD on a budget build? You can use that money towards a better CPU or a GPU. Do you really need a Blu-ray drive? Flash drives can do everything a CD/DVD can, and it will save you $70. Why a 600W PSU? Do you plan on upgrading in the future? You should at least get a semi-modular PSU, I made the mistake of not getting a modular or semi-modular PSU and it was horrible for cable management.

I would not go any smaller than an ATX mid tower though; the NZXT Source 210 is a good one to look at.
L33t Mule Pants
Why are you getting an SSD on a budget build? You can use that money towards a better CPU or a GPU. Do you really need a Blu-ray drive? Flash drives can do everything a CD/DVD can, and it will save you $70. Why a 600W PSU? Do you plan on upgrading in the future? You should at least get a semi-modular PSU, I made the mistake of not getting a modular or semi-modular PSU and it was horrible for cable management.

I would not go any smaller than an ATX mid tower though; the NZXT Source 210 is a good one to look at.

• I enjoy speed (and that drive is 48% off)
• I don't need a GPU for my computing (at least on-board in this case should be enough)
• Yes, I like to ensure that my media is packaged correctly (into video containers with proper codecs)
• I'm going to invest in the i7 core (the new model that comes out in two weeks) eventually, and max out the memory to 16GB 1600, maybe even add 2-4GB of GDDR5, who knows.

Can you simplify an explanation of the semi-modular psu vs regular?
Just watch this 5 minute video on the differences between the two.

Dapper Explorer

3,450 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Areweeffingserious
L33t Mule Pants

• I enjoy speed (and that drive is 48% off)
• I don't need a GPU for my computing (at least on-board in this case should be enough)
• Yes, I like to ensure that my media is packaged correctly (into video containers with proper codecs)
• I'm going to invest in the i7 core (the new model that comes out in two weeks) eventually, and max out the memory to 16GB 1600, maybe even add 2-4GB of GDDR5, who knows.

Can you simplify an explanation of the semi-modular psu vs regular?

I would like to know how you're going to add GDDR5. Desktop computers are not PlayStation 4s and Xbox Ones which use it as shared graphics and system memory, as far as I know you currently can't get GDDR5 memory in anything outside of a graphics card for a desktop - and you don't need a GPU.

Also, I hope you don't get a K version of the i7 (Unlocked Multiplier) because the H series of mobos aren't for overclocking.

THe difference between a Semi-Modular PSU and a Regular one is all other cables can be swapped out except for the essential cables (The ones that power your motherboard like the 24 pin connector for the mobo, your hard drive, etc.). A regular PSU has non removable cables and you're stuck with all of them. A fully modular PSU can be completely swapped out, essentials included.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff