Welcome to Gaia! ::

My laptop's hard drive failed about a year after I bought it. On the advice of a friend, I got a new hard drive, which I just installed today, with Windows 7 restore disks from HP. It seems to have gone well. At least it started up and didn't scream at me. But the first thing that comes up when I start it is "Boot Manager," where it makes me select Windows 7 despite there being no other options. The mouse doesn't work unless I press the space bar first (upon initial startup. It works fine thereafter) and my "m" key does not work, for reasons unknown. These were not issues before the hard drive failed. Any ideas or helpful hints?

Aged Werewolf

you can change default boot OS by right clicking my computer -> properties -> advanced system settings -> settings under startup and recovery.

the mouse and the m key not working could be the hard drive/data is corrupted when it was installed or the motherboard is funky.

scan the hard drive just in case for data corruption.
Open the "Computer" window -> Right-click C: -> Tools tab -> In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>. you might have to reset the computer to have it go
@OP: Yeah, buy the extended warranty next time.
when you turn on the computer, try tapping F8 like crazy. Do you get a menu that says "repair" at the top?

Genius

You can remove this other 'old' instance by going into start > run > msconfig
Then choose the "boot" tab, then remove the second listing.
Try to see if you can do a repair, but if a repair doesn't work, then you very likely looking at a hard drive failure which means you need a new hard drive. It's really no surprise either. Laptops inherently have these kinds of issues because people tend to move them around a lot, especially when they are on.
OP, you're going to have to give us more information. People are shouting suggestions and ideas, but we're in no position to evaluate what has or hasn't happened with the little info you've given us.

You said "It seems to have gone well." What does that mean? You physically installed the hard drive, booted from your recovery discs, and completed the restore? Or have you only inserted the drive and this is now the message you're getting when you power on? If you did actually complete the restore, did you at some point boot into Windows and your desktop successfully?

Could you also at least give us the model of your laptop (eg. HP p7-1017) since you already told us it's an HP?
Minion4Hire
OP, you're going to have to give us more information. People are shouting suggestions and ideas, but we're in no position to evaluate what has or hasn't happened with the little info you've given us.

You said "It seems to have gone well." What does that mean? You physically installed the hard drive, booted from your recovery discs, and completed the restore? Or have you only inserted the drive and this is now the message you're getting when you power on? If you did actually complete the restore, did you at some point boot into Windows and your desktop successfully?

Could you also at least give us the model of your laptop (eg. HP p7-1017) since you already told us it's an HP?

It's an HP 2000-239dx. I installed the new hard drive, used the disks to restore, and other than the screen at startup, the mouse, and the m key (which is now working sometimes), it is working just fine. I can use it just as I always did. My desktop is fine. After I select Windows 7 in the beginning of the start-up process, everything loads quickly and normally.
Alohilani
Minion4Hire

It's an HP 2000-239dx. I installed the new hard drive, used the disks to restore, and other than the screen at startup, the mouse, and the m key (which is now working sometimes), it is working just fine. I can use it just as I always did. My desktop is fine. After I select Windows 7 in the beginning of the start-up process, everything loads quickly and normally.
Good. Jaguar's suggestion is right then. Just remove any erroneous boot options using MSCONFIG.
Minion4Hire
Good. Jaguar's suggestion is right then. Just remove any erroneous boot options using MSCONFIG.

There's no second option in msconfig under the "boot" tab. The only thing there is "Windows 7 (C:Windows) : Current OS; Default OS."
Minion4Hire

There's no second option in msconfig under the "boot" tab. The only thing there is "Windows 7 (C:Windows) : Current OS; Default OS."
Alohilani
Minion4Hire

So this isn't a boot selection menu, just a straight up error message?

The simplest solution I can offer would be to tap F8 while your computer is starting and select the "Repair my computer" option. Once the recovery environment loads you can either select Startup Repair or open Command Prompt and enter "bootrec.exe /fixboot" without quotes.

Otherwise we might need more info.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces