Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Phantom

So my computer broke a couple of weeks ago and I've decided to remove my internal hard drive from it and turn it into an external hard drive. My question is, is it possible for me to install games and programs to my external hard drive and run it in different computers? If so, can I make the games look for saved game files in my external instead of the usual My Documents?
It's possible, but it's not PRACTICAL. An external hard drive will run at USB speeds, which is EXTREMELY slow compared to the speed at which it runs when it's connected inside.

It would ruin the entire fun of the game.

Lonely Phantom

Yuki the Third
It's possible, but it's not PRACTICAL. An external hard drive will run at USB speeds, which is EXTREMELY slow compared to the speed at which it runs when it's connected inside.

I see. Hmm.. does the power of the computer affect USB speed? like say a high-end computer. Does that make the USB speed faster than a mid-end computer?
Lux Caeruleus
Yuki the Third

I see. Hmm.. does the power of the computer affect USB speed? like say a high-end computer. Does that make the USB speed faster than a mid-end computer?
no. Think of the USB as a hose. No matter how much you try, the water's only going to come out at a certain speed.

Lonely Phantom

Yuki the Third

no. Think of the USB as a hose. No matter how much you try, the water's only going to come out at a certain speed.
Oh, I see. Well, thanks for clarifying it. I'll just put my game installer in my external then just install it when needed. Thanks again smile
To provide some technical specifications (remember, G is bigger than M)

SATA III: Up to 6 Gbit/sec
USB 2.0: 280 Mbit/sec (0.25 Gbit)
USB 3.0: 4 Gbit/sec

How do you know which port is which?
SATA ports are what your hard drive connects to inside your computer.
USB 2.0 ports are what most computers now have - small rectangular ports which also do double-duty for your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, headset, and just about everything else you hook up to them.
USB 3.0 ports are like above, only with a blue-colored plastic piece inside as opposed to the black plastic that USB 2.0 (and older) use.

Lonely Phantom

Jaydenn Kelvari

USB 2.0 ports are what most computers now have - small rectangular ports which also do double-duty for your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, headset, and just about everything else you hook up to them.
USB 3.0 ports are like above, only with a blue-colored plastic piece inside as opposed to the black plastic that USB 2.0 (and older) use.

I see. Thank you information. By the way, some people say that speed is also affected by the cable used, that the better the cable, the faster the speed.. Is this true?
I think the quality myth is just a marketting gimmick. Just like Monster hdmi. I have recently bought a 2.5" hdd enclosure, it's doing great so far. Look up for Orico 2588US3

Lonely Phantom

fingered my cat
I think the quality myth is just a marketting gimmick. Just like Monster hdmi. I have recently bought a 2.5" hdd enclosure, it's doing great so far. Look up for Orico 2588US3

I see. I'll still try installing games to my external and see if it's slow or not smile
Lux Caeruleus
Jaydenn Kelvari

I see. Thank you information. By the way, some people say that speed is also affected by the cable used, that the better the cable, the faster the speed.. Is this true?

Kinda but not really, it more depends on the type of cable than anything because its probably digital what its made out of is going to have 0 impact (connections are a different story)

Lonely Phantom

Dreadpirate Chris Roberts

Kinda but not really, it more depends on the type of cable than anything because its probably digital what its made out of is going to have 0 impact (connections are a different story)

What about Fiber Cables? I heard they perform better with data transfer since it transfer the data in, well, data form, unlike normal cables that transfer data in analog form.
Lux Caeruleus

What about Fiber Cables? I heard they perform better with data transfer since it transfer the data in, well, data form, unlike normal cables that transfer data in analog form.

Practically every data cable besides audio is digital. I dun matter what its made of for the most part. Fibre is a different story, google it :p

Lonely Phantom

Lux Caeruleus

Practically every data cable besides audio is digital. I dun matter what its made of for the most part. Fibre is a different story, google it :p

I already have some kind of knowledge about them. They're mostly used in high speed data transfer. Since there's a USB optical fiber cable, there's a chance it could help improve data transfer speed. But I doubt that it'd be cheap rofl
Lux Caeruleus
Lux Caeruleus

I already have some kind of knowledge about them. They're mostly used in high speed data transfer. Since there's a USB optical fiber cable, there's a chance it could help improve data transfer speed. But I doubt that it'd be cheap rofl

The BUS would slow you down there

Lonely Phantom

The BUS would slow you down there

I see. Well, thanks for the infos smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items