Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
Ok I got a new laptop in november. I have another p/c that is hooked up a modem and a router. My laptop is using the wireless router to connect to the internet.

My queston is this, whenever I try uploading something weither its on photobucket, tumblr or youtube it takes forever. Sometimes the browser stops responding all together and I have to shut the browswer down and reopened it. When I'm uploading something I have tried checking the upload speed and it shows it at 0.

here's the thing, the p/c I have is much much slower than my laptop but it can upload just fine.

I'm not sure what's going on, I dont think its the equipment since it works with my p/c just fine.

Maybe I configured something wrong? I dont know I just need some help.

I will provide you with as much information as you need for you to help me. just let me know what it is.

thanks
I'm on windows 8, using firefox
I have used chrome and IE and I get the same results.
Revengers_Heart
Ok I got a new laptop in november. I have another p/c that is hooked up a modem and a router. My laptop is using the wireless router to connect to the internet.

My queston is this, whenever I try uploading something weither its on photobucket, tumblr or youtube it takes forever. Sometimes the browser stops responding all together and I have to shut the browswer down and reopened it. When I'm uploading something I have tried checking the upload speed and it shows it at 0.

here's the thing, the p/c I have is much much slower than my laptop but it can upload just fine.

I'm not sure what's going on, I dont think its the equipment since it works with my p/c just fine.

I will provide you with as much information as you need for you to help me. just let me know what it is.

thanks
If it is only when you're uploading to web sites then it's likely a weird software or firewall problem.

You could try uploading something to an FTP server. That might help determine if this is a firewall problem. No suggestions on what FTP server you can test with, just an idea.

Something else worth trying qould be to reboot into safe mode with networking and trying from there. That should eliminate most software problems/conflicts (assuming other add-ons or features that may be required to use an upload service aren't also disabled)

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
Minion4Hire
Revengers_Heart

thanks
If it is only when you're uploading to web sites then it's likely a weird software or firewall problem.

You could try uploading something to an FTP server. That might help determine if this is a firewall problem. No suggestions on what FTP server you can test with, just an idea.

Something else worth trying qould be to reboot into safe mode with networking and trying from there. That should eliminate most software problems/conflicts (assuming other add-ons or features that may be required to use an upload service aren't also disabled)

I rebooted in safemode like you said and tried to upload a gif that I have on photobucket on to it again but it didn't work.
I then turned off the addons for firefox and put it so its private browsing and it still didn't work.

Its like whenever I tried to upload the internet shuts off but there's no indication that it has.

I'm not sure what an FTP server is so I didn't try that.

I've turned off my firewall just to see if that would help and it hasn't.

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
just tried using FileGenie to get my file uploaded. It kept timing out.
I turned off my firewall and the page still timed out.
Revengers_Heart
It seems like it should be a network problem of some kind then. Not necessarily with your router - your network drivers are still enabled in safe mode with networking, so your drivers or any other part of your network stack could be affected. Malware also hasn't been ruled out.

If you're put off by FTP then there's not a lot of simple ideas that I can offer.

Try connecting your laptop via ethernet instead of over wireless (actually disable your wireless card when you do this to be thorough)

Run malware scans of your system using programs such as MalwareByte's Anti-Malware

You could try setting up a different user account to eliminate account/profile issues (but if this works it could indicate a malware infection)

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
Minion4Hire
Revengers_Heart
It seems like it should be a network problem of some kind then. Not necessarily with your router - your network drivers are still enabled in safe mode with networking, so your drivers or any other part of your network stack could be affected. Malware also hasn't been ruled out.

If you're put off by FTP then there's not a lot of simple ideas that I can offer.

Try connecting your laptop via ethernet instead of over wireless (actually disable your wireless card when you do this to be thorough)

Run malware scans of your system using programs such as MalwareByte's Anti-Malware

You could try setting up a different user account to eliminate account/profile issues (but if this works it could indicate a malware infection)

I'm not put off by a FTP I honestly dont know what it is and I thought FileGenie was one of them. ANd I used it but the page times out when I try uploading.

I'm running malware scans right now. Nothing has showed up.

I've run it with just the ether cable in and it does no good.
Revengers_Heart
Minion4Hire
Revengers_Heart

I'm not put off by a FTP I honestly dont know what it is and I thought FileGenie was one of them. ANd I used it but the page times out when I try uploading.

Sorry. I'm clearly not paying attention.

If FTP access is being blocked then this is very likely a port-related issue.

What software firewalls are installed on your computer? What AV are you using? What about your router? Did you change/add your router recently? Are there rules setup in its firewall?

This still doesn't exclude malware as a possibility.

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
Minion4Hire
Revengers_Heart
Minion4Hire
Revengers_Heart

Sorry. I'm clearly not paying attention.

If FTP access is being blocked then this is very likely a port-related issue.

What software firewalls are installed on your computer? What AV are you using? What about your router? Did you change/add your router recently? Are there rules setup in its firewall?

This still doesn't exclude malware as a possibility.

I use windows firewall. I have AVG as my Anti-virus. I've had this router for a while.
I haven't messed with any of the settings to the router. I honestly dont even know how.

All I did when I got my laptop was set up a connection, put in the key I needed and connected to the wireless.

Aged Explorer

4,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
I did a malware scan and nothing popped up.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff