Welcome to Gaia! ::

The PNGs on this site - any site, really - don't show up. They're replaced by the traditional "Red X", and this has been going on for almost four months now. I haven't found a working answer yet, and I've tried, like, everything.

I have a few graphics editors installed, like MS Photo Editor, Adobe Photoshop, ImageReady, and Illustrator CS. I'm running on XP, and using a standard Internet Explorer browser, though I've also tried Firefox, and the same thing happens.

They'll show up on my PC, just not in the browser.

So, uh, go!
Please.
So it is _just_ PNGs, and it is on all websites, all browsers, but your computer displays them...

Quick test, try to load a PNG on your computer via IE (that is, right click, open with, IE) and see if it shows up.
Did I forget to mention that that didn't work either?
Well, it doesn't.
LostInGeneral
Did I forget to mention that that didn't work either?
Well, it doesn't.

excellent, that tosses one potential problem...

now, what programs _do_ let you open PNGs? is it _only_ browsers which dont let you? or do you mean you can _have_ the file but not view it?
Some browsers, especially older ones, aren't compatible with .png files.
Get a newer browser, or change your stuff from pngs.
thesneak256
Some browsers, especially older ones, aren't compatible with .png files.
Get a newer browser, or change your stuff from pngs.
if he's running XP, he has to have IE 6.0 at least.

on a default install of XP, the png extention is supported. you might want to check your "File Type" settings and make sure .png hasn't been removed.

Codebreaking Mage

11,650 Points
  • Hero 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Battle: Mage 100
Do you have any kind of firewall? This can lead to some images not loading.
FylkSoul

That might make sense, save for the local bit. He couldn't open it up locally. Looks to be another case of IE not liking PNGs.
DopplerZero
FylkSoul

That might make sense, save for the local bit. He couldn't open it up locally. Looks to be another case of IE not liking PNGs.

yeah, but he said the same thing happened in FIrefox, so it's not just confined to IE
Yeah. That's what stumps me most. All the image programs open it, but none of the browsers do. PNGs open fine, without any problem, in all the image programs like Photoshop, right?
Yep. I had ZoneAlarm - it's still there - but it's never on. All my Adobe programs open it fine, Paint, Image Viewer, Photo Editor, MS Picture Manager, etc... My browser is completely updated - I've made absolutely sure to get every update to try and fix this problem myself. The weird thing is, it used to work fine when I got my computer.

Defaultedly, it opens with ImageReady. If I delete that, then it opens with Photo Editor.
my guess is you got tricked into wastig your money on some antivirus or security or firewall products made by norton. if so, simply uninstall them and see if that fixes your problem. Norton/Symantec software is known to slow computers by roughly 30%, screw up nearly everything in sight.. and give you obscene amounts of false alarms... if not that... then try some of the stuff in this thread.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=199497
That could be it... I have Anti-Virus and AutoProtect, as well as some other processes that consistently run in the background... I'll try it later. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff