Welcome to Gaia! ::

I forgot again how to reset/cisrcumvent the password at bootup?

I need to format and reinstall this computer before tommorow.

Any help would be appreciated.

stare
Possibly resetting your CMOS would fix this. You'd do this by moving a simple jumper on the motherboard over one pin. Then, move it back once you've powered on the computer, and powered it off.
Check the documentation before you do somthing stupid, though.

Also, why is a user password set in the first place? That's hard direct security, generally for systems sitting out in public, not you average home computer.
Raijin Z

Also, why is a user password set in the first place? That's hard direct security, generally for systems sitting out in public, not you average home computer.

Well it was the reason why i got this order anyway sweatdrop

The computer was from the man of a divorced woman...

And i have to clear all his traces...

Why do i always get the crummy ones...

stare
Mantra_Elix
Raijin Z

stare

If you are just going to clear all the traces, then just reformat it. Or fdisk the partition even.
To clear the CMOS password, either use the 'reset to factory default' CMOS jumper or remove the MB battery and leave it out for a couple hours (and when the battery is out, shunt the holder terminals for a few seconds with the machine still unplugged).

To clear a Win9x password, rename or delete all PWL files in the Windows directory (all (name).pwl files) and when the machine reboots, it will have you make a new one with new password. For an NT-based OS (NT, 2K, XP), you need a password hack tool, and access from something like a Knoppix LiveCD Linux to run the tool from.
To delete Win2K and XP's passwords, just delete or rename the SAM file in system32\config . This will erase the passwords for any account currently existing, without breaking the user account, You can log in with a blank password.
The New Hades
Mantra_Elix
Raijin Z

stare

If you are just going to clear all the traces, then just reformat it. Or fdisk the partition even.

sweatdrop

how can i do that when it won't boot up due to there bieng a boot password.

Anyway i'll try some of your stuff maybe it'll work...

Now where did this cable go?

stare
Mantra_Elix
The New Hades
Mantra_Elix
Raijin Z

stare

sweatdrop

how can i do that when it won't boot up due to there bieng a boot password.

Anyway i'll try some of your stuff maybe it'll work...

Now where did this cable go?

stare

Go to bo0otdisk.com and download the 98SE bootdisk. Put it on a floppy, then pout the floppy in the computer. Start the computer up and it will load from the floppy. Then you fdisk it all away.
Omg I just posted that it Won't Bootup because it pauses before the bootup and asks for the boot password.

stare
OH! I haven't seen one of those before. Ok now I know what you are talking about. Open up the case and there should be a jumper near a battery. Move it and it will short out the CMOS settings and clear the password.

I though you were talking about the password that the OS asks you for. My bad. sweatdrop
Gah i know i should have payed attention at my cisco classes...

What part was the cmos again?

sweatdrop
Ok, open the case up, you will see this round silver thingy. That is the battery. The jumper should be close by.
Mantra_Elix
Gah i know i should have payed attention at my cisco classes...

What part was the cmos again?

sweatdrop

lol - I don't think that the cisco classes even cover cmos and general computer hardware. If they do then that must have been like the first or second chapter of the first semester... gah! speaking of which I need to start studying for my finals in that class...
Yay i found did it.

I had to use a jumper from my own comp though.

Yesh i think it was somewhere in the beginning of essentials 1 or ccna 1 can't remember which.

Anyway i have Essentails final 2 soon.

That's going to be a hard cracker to bite.

stare

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces