Welcome to Gaia! ::

POST is provided by ROM chips on the motherboard. The POST is the "Power On Self Test" and is what ultimately finds what hardware is available to the system and what is what and such. It's an automatic function of your motherboard at boot up prior to the BIOS handing control of your system to your operating system.

When you say that the system is up long enough to open the disc drive, but it quickly closes itself again, I'm assuming that the system is shutting off as it closes. This sounds like your CPU is shutting itself down due to a thermal issue, or at least that's what I can think of. Is your heat sink properly placed on the motherboard, and are your fans working properly? Maybe I'm only jumping to this conclusion because I'm currently drunk, but if your system is shutting off after a short period of "on time" it sounds like it could be a thermal event...

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
POST is provided by ROM chips on the motherboard. The POST is the "Power On Self Test" and is what ultimately finds what hardware is available to the system and what is what and such. It's an automatic function of your motherboard at boot up prior to the BIOS handing control of your system to your operating system.
Ah so you are saying that POST is what I am calling the motherboard info screen. The thing that does not show up when I turn on the computer. I will change the title then.

Quote:
When you say that the system is up long enough to open the disc drive, but it quickly closes itself again, I'm assuming that the system is shutting off as it closes. This sounds like your CPU is shutting itself down due to a thermal issue, or at least that's what I can think of. Is your heat sink properly placed on the motherboard, and are your fans working properly? Maybe I'm only jumping to this conclusion because I'm currently drunk, but if your system is shutting off after a short period of "on time" it sounds like it could be a thermal event...
Not quite what I said, I said I got it to open, the computer remains on and if pressed over and over the disc drive will continuously open and shut without the computer turning off.
Oooh, so the computer is turning on and staying on, but your computer won't POST? That's definitely either the CPU or the motherboard. Another, cheaper thing you can check is to make sure the monitor's working. Try plugging it in to another computer to see if anything comes up. Might also want to make sure the cable's good too.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
Oooh, so the computer is turning on and staying on, but your computer won't POST? That's definitely either the CPU or the motherboard. Another, cheaper thing you can check is to make sure the monitor's working. Try plugging it in to another computer to see if anything comes up. Might also want to make sure the cable's good too.
I mentioned earlier that I used multiple monitors to check it.

One of them I have plugged into my laptop and am using atm.
felinoel
l_Shamrock_l

All right, let me start over...

Your computer WILL start up. It will run. It just won't POST.
Your CD Drive will open and close.
You HAVE tried with your built-in graphics processor and with a peripheral GPU.
You have tried two motherboard's now, as well.
You've tested your monitors and have confirmed they're not the issue.
There are no issues with your Power Supply
All of your cables are plugged in correctly
Is your CPU the culprit? Try re-seating your CPU and heat sink; Clean off the thermal paste and re-apply and such.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
felinoel
l_Shamrock_l

All right, let me start over...

Your computer WILL start up. It will run. It just won't POST.
Your CD Drive will open and close.
You've tested your monitors and have confirmed they're not the issue.
Yes.

Quote:
You HAVE tried with your built-in graphics processor and with a peripheral GPU.
Yes though I have removed the peripheral graphics card so I have one less issue to deal with

Quote:
You have tried two motherboard's now, as well.
...at least two, yea

Quote:
There are no issues with your Power Supply
Unless it is mysteriously defective like my last motherboard?

Quote:
All of your cables are plugged in correctly
According to the Geek Squad and me, yes.

Quote:
Is your CPU the culprit? Try re-seating your CPU and heat sink; Clean off the thermal paste and re-apply and such.
Ummm idk? How would I find out if the processor is the issue? I can clean off the thermal paste but am out of it atm, should I go get more? It came with a very small amount on it already and I only had a little left...

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
felinoel
l_Shamrock_l
Ummm idk? How would I find out if the processor is the issue? I can clean off the thermal paste but am out of it atm, should I go get more? It came with a very small amount on it already and I only had a little left...
I really don't have another processor to test with... that is the only way I know of how to test the processor?
Take the motherboard and the CPU into a tech shop and have them test them both. Not the Geek Squad, but not some cheap shop either. Have them test the components out themselves.

I say "Not the Geek Squad" because I honestly haven't had any good experiences with them. Someone I currently work with also used to work with the Geek Squad and she even said she didn't like them. That's just personal preference however. My experience is most likely not going to match yours.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
Take the motherboard and the CPU into a tech shop and have them test them both. Not the Geek Squad, but not some cheap shop either. Have them test the components out themselves.

I say "Not the Geek Squad" because I honestly haven't had any good experiences with them. Someone I currently work with also used to work with the Geek Squad and she even said she didn't like them. That's just personal preference however. My experience is most likely not going to match yours.
I've had pretty much the same experience, except when it comes to this one Geek Squad which is fairly good though they tell me they aren't allowed to test individual components...

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l

Processor is dead.

...somehow <.<
It's great to know that the issue was discovered. Now the last step is to finally correct it! Enjoy.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
It's great to know that the issue was discovered. Now the last step is to finally correct it! Enjoy.
Odd though that this is the issue, I've never heard of a processor going bad?

I still have four days of Newegg warranty... Hope it can make it across the country in time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff