Welcome to Gaia! ::

felinoel
It felt like it was spinning, Newegg's calculator said I needed a power supply that supplied at least 2700 watts, so I got one that supplies 5000 watts for good measure and also because they didn't have any that was that low.
Alright... and you said this was the same hard disk you were using before. Assuming you didn't make any changes to the hard disk you should still have an operating system installed which means that, theoretically, if all of your hardware is working properly it should continue to spin well after the computer is powered on as it tries to load the operating system.

Check your monitor, video cable and video card... possibly try plugging your monitor into a slot on the motherboard if you are using an additional video card.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Parallel-Element
felinoel
It felt like it was spinning, Newegg's calculator said I needed a power supply that supplied at least 2700 watts, so I got one that supplies 5000 watts for good measure and also because they didn't have any that was that low.
Alright... and you said this was the same hard disk you were using before. Assuming you didn't make any changes to the hard disk you should still have an operating system installed which means that, theoretically, if all of your hardware is working properly it should continue to spin well after the computer is powered on as it tries to load the operating system.

Check your monitor, video cable and video card... possibly try plugging your monitor into a slot on the motherboard if you are using an additional video card.
Shouldn't at least the motherboard info screen show?

I tried turning it on with nothing but the motherboard plugged in, still no image.

Also, I've tried multiple monitors.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
felinoel
Parallel-Element
felinoel

Shouldn't at least the motherboard info screen show?

I tried turning it on with nothing but the motherboard plugged in, still no image.

Also, I've tried multiple monitors.
and I still am not using the video card.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Parallel-Element
Hey you're from 2005 too? Yea Gaia was so much better back then.

4,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Member 100
i would go get it checked out if i was you
felinoel
Ok I have now bought new EVERYTHING, my entire computer's insides have been replaced (except for the HDD) and it still won't turn on, I figured out that the flashing red light was caused by an apparently broken USB plug according to here but no image still shows up. I was able with my last motherboard to get it to start up and run with only one RAM port so I assumed that meant it was a faulty port and sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced but now the old problem is back...?

Thoughts?

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
taylor_510
i would go get it checked out if i was you
felinoel
Ok I have now bought new EVERYTHING, my entire computer's insides have been replaced (except for the HDD) and it still won't turn on, I figured out that the flashing red light was caused by an apparently broken USB plug according to here but no image still shows up. I was able with my last motherboard to get it to start up and run with only one RAM port so I assumed that meant it was a faulty port and sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced but now the old problem is back...?

Thoughts?
I took it to the Geek Squad, they had no clue.
The only thing I can think is that your motherboard was dead on arrival a second time in a row

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
The only thing I can think is that your motherboard was dead on arrival a second time in a row
But... Newegg is much more reliable than that... >.>
I am still trying to come to grips with the 5.000 watt
I can not find any above 2.000, for sale on the open market.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Joda01
I am still trying to come to grips with the 5.000 watt
I can not find any above 2.000, for sale on the open market.
I might be remembering it with an extra zero then?

All I remember for sure was that the power supply I got was about twice as more powerful as Newegg said was required.
I was actually working on an issue that seems almost identical to the one you're having.

It was resolved when I used a POST card to get a positive ID on the issue. The POST Card's booklet referred to the fix as "De-assert CPU core voltage"; The fix was rather simple: The primary power connector was a 24-pin connector on the motherboard. The PSU provided a 20-pin P1 connector and a 4-pin P4 connector.

When we had originally plugged the computer in, we used the 20-pin and the 4-pin connectors when we had received this error. To fix it, we simply didn't use the P4 connector. In other words, we plugged in the P1, but not the P4 and it came up just fine.

Try this out and see if anything changes.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
I was actually working on an issue that seems almost identical to the one you're having.

It was resolved when I used a POST card to get a positive ID on the issue. The POST Card's booklet referred to the fix as "De-assert CPU core voltage"; The fix was rather simple: The primary power connector was a 24-pin connector on the motherboard. The PSU provided a 20-pin P1 connector and a 4-pin P4 connector.

When we had originally plugged the computer in, we used the 20-pin and the 4-pin connectors when we had received this error. To fix it, we simply didn't use the P4 connector. In other words, we plugged in the P1, but not the P4 and it came up just fine.

...wait, so you are saying not to use the additional four pin plug on the motherboard?

I originally was doing this but the Geek Squad guy plugged it in... I will go try it and see what happens.

Though if that doesn't work what is the likelihood that it is an issue with the processor?
felinoel
l_Shamrock_l

...wait, so you are saying not to use the additional four pin plug on the motherboard?

I originally was doing this but the Geek Squad guy plugged it in... I will go try it and see what happens.

Though if that doesn't work what is the likelihood that it is an issue with the processor?
Your computer won't POST with a bad CPU. It would definitely be worth checking out.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
felinoel
l_Shamrock_l

Your computer won't POST with a bad CPU. It would definitely be worth checking out.
I took out the additional four pins but still no work.

How does one go about this POST without getting a motherboard info screen?

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Ah ha! I got my disc drive to open, but it opens then quickly shuts...

The reason why I replaced every single part of my computer was because of a power surge that fried my computer and I just realized I didn't replace the disc drive... I barely use that anyways, so I assume the issue with the disc drive is just that it got fried.

But yea, how do I start up POST without the motherboard info screen?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff