Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Ok I have now bought new EVERYTHING, my entire computer's insides have been replaced (except for the HDD) and it still won't turn on, I figured out that the flashing red light was caused by an apparently broken USB plug according to here but no image still shows up. I was able with my last motherboard to get it to start up and run with only one RAM port so I assumed that meant it was a faulty port and sent it back to the manufacturer to be replaced but now the old problem is back...?

Thoughts?
if you not even get POST, it is either the GPU or/and the mainboard that the issue is with.

if the mainboard works and there is a working GPU, you should at least get to POST.

(edit: might be the PSU not providing enough power?)

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Joda01
if you not even get POST, it is either the GPU or/and the mainboard that the issue is with.

if the mainboard works and there is a working GPU, you should at least get to POST.

(edit: might be the PSU not providing enough power?)
It can't be the power supply because I went to Newegg and used their power supply requirements finding program and found I only needed a power supply of 2700 and I have one of 5k.

It certainly can't be the motherboard, brand new and I just got a brand new one from Newegg before it that turned out to be faulty and the probability of it happening twice in a row is pretty high.

As for the graphics card... I will try running it with it removed after I post this.

EDIT:
It has no graphics card now and the issue continues.
I haven't had any experiences with a faulty GPU in the past, however when I have seen an issue similar to this, it is usually RAM. Try re-seating the RAM stick (Take it out, and put it back in) and make sure it is in correctly. If that doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM.
Out of curiosity, are any lights coming on on the motherboard and are you hearing any beeps at all when you press the power switch? If not and you don't see/hear any fans spinning up it sounds like a power issue. Make sure your P1 connector (the large, long connector coming from your power supply) is seated firmly on the motherboard as well as the auxiliary power (the smaller square connector with 4 pins). I'll assume you have your power switch wired to your motherboard correctly, but sometimes those pins can be tricky to read.

If none of that works, your power supply may be DOA.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
I haven't had any experiences with a faulty GPU in the past, however when I have seen an issue similar to this, it is usually RAM. Try re-seating the RAM stick (Take it out, and put it back in) and make sure it is in correctly. If that doesn't work, try a different stick of RAM.
I've done this with every possible combination in the two ram ports.

Parallel-Element
Out of curiosity, are any lights coming on on the motherboard and are you hearing any beeps at all when you press the power switch? If not and you don't see/hear any fans spinning up it sounds like a power issue. Make sure your P1 connector (the large, long connector coming from your power supply) is seated firmly on the motherboard as well as the auxiliary power (the smaller square connector with 4 pins). I'll assume you have your power switch wired to your motherboard correctly, but sometimes those pins can be tricky to read.

If none of that works, your power supply may be DOA.
I don't see where any lights would come on on the motherboard though on the case it lights up fine? Also all the fans are running.

I followed the motherboard's guide to installing the pins... do you think I installed them wrong? I don't want to ignore that possibility.
felinoel
I don't see where any lights would come on on the motherboard though on the case it lights up fine? Also all the fans are running.

I followed the motherboard's guide to installing the pins... do you think I installed them wrong? I don't want to ignore that possibility.
No, if lights are coming on and fans are spinning up then the power switch is definitely working.

You didn't mention hearing any beeps when the fans spin up so I'll assume for the time being that they weren't present. What that means is, for whatever reason, the computer isn't performing it's POST (Power On Self Test). Ensure that all of your cards are seated well and, if you have multiple sticks of RAM try using only a single one-- if even one of the sticks is bad it will cause problems with the entire system.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Parallel-Element
felinoel

No, if lights are coming on and fans are spinning up then the power switch is definitely working.

You didn't mention hearing any beeps when the fans spin up so I'll assume for the time being that they weren't present. What that means is, for whatever reason, the computer isn't performing it's POST (Power On Self Test). Ensure that all of your cards are seated well and, if you have multiple sticks of RAM try using only a single one-- if even one of the sticks is bad it will cause problems with the entire system.
Well only lights are coming on on the case, not the motherboard like was asked.

Yea no beeps, though I don't recall ever hearing any?

I am using one RAM stick though with the last motherboard I just sent back both sticks worked fine, though one port on it did not.

Oh I just tried my CD drive, when I push the button it lights up but does not pop out... is this a power supply issue after all? It is the same power supply that worked fine with the last motherboard..?
Try unplugging a device or two (The more power-consuming ones) and see if it comes up. If your PSU doesn't provide the proper voltage then reducing the amount it's currently trying to use to an acceptable level will allow it to come on.
felinoel

I am using one RAM stick though with the last motherboard I just sent back both sticks worked fine, though one port on it did not.

Oh I just tried my CD drive, when I push the button it lights up but does not pop out... is this a power supply issue after all? It is the same power supply that worked fine with the last motherboard..?
That is exceptionally odd. All the circuitry that allows the CD drive to eject is contained inside the unit so as long as it has power and nothing is stopping it from doing so it should eject.

If you reboot your system does your hard drive spin up at all? If not would you please post how you calculated your power requirements?

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
Try unplugging a device or two (The more power-consuming ones) and see if it comes up. If your PSU doesn't provide the proper voltage then reducing the amount it's currently trying to use to an acceptable level will allow it to come on.
Well... I took off the graphics card... doesn't it need everything else to run?

Motherboard, HDD, DVD drive... oh I guess it doesn't need the DVD drive, and technically since if I can get the motherboard info screen to show up that will be fine so I won't need the HDD too, right?

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Parallel-Element
felinoel

That is exceptionally odd. All the circuitry that allows the CD drive to eject is contained inside the unit so as long as it has power and nothing is stopping it from doing so it should eject.

If you reboot your system does your hard drive spin up at all? If not would you please post how you calculated your power requirements?
Ummm, how do I check for that? Should I just listen very hard?

I went to the Newegg power supply calculator thing. Do you think I may need more than the 2700 it said I needed? My old power supply was only 5500 before I replaced it with this new 5000 one because I replaced every part in it.
felinoel

I went to the Newegg power supply calculator thing. Do you think I may need more than the 2700 it said I needed? My old power supply was only 5500 before I replaced it with this new 5000 one because I replaced every part in it.
If you cannot hear it spin up then gently place one hand on the top side (without any circuitry) and if it's spinning you should be able to feel it.

I'm not sure what you mean by 2700 or 5500... they sound like model numbers. Usually power requirements are calculated in watts.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Parallel-Element
felinoel

If you cannot hear it spin up then gently place one hand on the top side (without any circuitry) and if it's spinning you should be able to feel it.

I'm not sure what you mean by 2700 or 5500... they sound like model numbers. Usually power requirements are calculated in watts.
It felt like it was spinning, Newegg's calculator said I needed a power supply that supplied at least 2700 watts, so I got one that supplies 5000 watts for good measure and also because they didn't have any that was that low.

Dapper Elder

12,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
l_Shamrock_l
I ran it with just the motherboard plugged in, no image and then with just the motherboard and the hdd, still no image.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff