Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm in the process of building a new computer and have run into a bit of an issue when looking at getting one of the new ivy bridge processors. Right now, I was planning on picking up a friend's extra mother board (MSI p67a-g43) and an Intel 3570k processor. However, my friend has alerted me that there may be a compatibility issue between these two right now, something about needing a bios update that may or may not be released.

I'm not very experienced when it comes to hardware, and I haven't been able to find anything on google. So really my question is, will I have problems if I use these two parts?
I'd suggest shelling for a Z68 motherboard, last I heard, those are 100% compatible with Ivy Bridge.
Aven Donn
I'd suggest shelling for a Z68 motherboard, last I heard, those are 100% compatible with Ivy Bridge.

The main reason I wanted to use the one I listed, was that my friend already has it, its essentially unused, and hes selling it to me for much cheaper. So I'm left with the dilemma of whether to pay the extra $50-100 to buy a new MB.

I guess my question is now, is a Z68+Ivy worth $100 more than a P67+Sandy?
MrTim
Aven Donn

The main reason I wanted to use the one I listed, was that my friend already has it, its essentially unused, and hes selling it to me for much cheaper. So I'm left with the dilemma of whether to pay the extra $50-100 to buy a new MB.

I guess my question is now, is a Z68+Ivy worth $100 more than a P67+Sandy?

Last I checked Z68 has way more features, faster in some of the under the under the hood departments and better integrated graphics with intel CPUs. Which basically means if your GPU bites the dust, you're not completely ******** and can keep playing, somewhat. (You'll probably have to minimum everything) Until a new GPU arrives.
Compatibility with sandy = compatibility with ivy
Disconsented
Not true. Not if the manufacturer doesn't offer a BIOS update. And from MSI's support list for the board in question this board does not offer Ivy Bridge support.

If you're going to buy a new board you're better off with the x7x series. For example, anything in this list.
Minion4Hire
Disconsented
Not true. Not if the manufacturer doesn't offer a BIOS update. And from MSI's support list for the board in question this board does not offer Ivy Bridge support.

If you're going to buy a new board you're better off with the x7x series. For example, anything in this list.

Quote:
Motherboard & Chipset Support

Ivy Bridge is backwards compatible with existing LGA-1155 motherboards, although there will be a new chipset for Ivy Bridge and new motherboards to enable some features (e.g. PCI Express 3.0, native USB 3.0).

Source
Quote:
Ivy Bridge is the codename for Intel's 22 nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture based on tri-gate ("3D" wink transistors. Ivy Bridge processors will be backwards-compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform, but might require a firmware update (vendor specific)

source
Disconsented
Minion4Hire
Disconsented

Quote:

Ivy Bridge is backwards compatible with existing LGA-1155 motherboards, although there will be a new chipset for Ivy Bridge and new motherboards to enable some features (e.g. PCI Express 3.0, native USB 3.0).

Source
Quote:
Ivy Bridge is the codename for Intel's 22 nm die shrink of the Sandy Bridge microarchitecture based on tri-gate ("3D" wink transistors. Ivy Bridge processors will be backwards-compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform, but might require a firmware update (vendor specific)

source

So... Wait... My Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev 1.3 mobo, with it's PCIe 3.0 compatible PCIe ports... Isn't actually going to support PCIe 3.0 cards at PCIe 3.0 capability? I'll have to buy a new motherboard?
Disconsented
Minion4Hire
Disconsented

Quote:

Source
Quote:

source
Did I not say that? I never said that the CHIPSET isn't supported. I said that if the manufacturer chooses to not release a BIOS to allow the motherboard to properly recognize the newer processors then you can't use an Ivy Bridge chip in that board. That's what I said. And it's completely accurate. And nothing you posted there contradicts that.

What's up dude?
Minion4Hire
Disconsented
Minion4Hire
Disconsented

Quote:

Source
Quote:

source
Did I not say that? I never said that the CHIPSET isn't supported. I said that if the manufacturer chooses to not release a BIOS to allow the motherboard to properly recognize the newer processors then you can't use an Ivy Bridge chip in that board. That's what I said. And it's completely accurate. And nothing you posted there contradicts that.

What's up dude?

I read that wrong, my bad.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas