Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magic Micro built my barebones system in April of 2004. I'll definitely go with them when I'm shooting for another new desktop. I got a P4 2.6GHz, Asus P4S800 board with 8X AGP, 3 DDR slots, 6 USB 2.0, and a stupid ricer case for $350. Everything else was either cannibalized from other systems, bought on ebay, or donated from friends.
Hmm, I see. But I dont know that much about computers to know what does what. I went to magicmicro.com and it confused me. I found alot of great stuff i did want on there....but there were like 6 more options that i could have added that would bring the price UP and I dont even know what they are for. Dont know what video or sound card i need, dont know what a motherboard is for (sorry if I'm an idiot), dont know anything about network interface and stuff like that. I just dont know crying
The motherboard is the main board, the ultimate limter of what you can put in a system. The CPU, expansion cards, and drives connect to it. If you can only get one really good part, it should always be the motherboard.... but some would say a video card is the most important.
right now my computer is:
Windows 98 4.10.1998
Compaq Presario
Genuineintel
Pentium II processor
Intel MMX Technology
256.0 MB RAM
File sysytem: 32 bit
Virtual Memory: 32 bit
Disk Compresion: not installed
PC Cards: No PC Card sockets are installed

"your system is configured for optimal performance"
AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.67 GHz 333FSB 512k Cache
Jetway V2DP (VIAKM266, 2DDR, AGP, ATA133)
Raidmax Elite 208 BLACK Mid-Tower 350W, USB
Default Power Supply
256 MB PC-2700 333MHz DDR Memory
40GB Western Digital IDE 7200rpm 2MB Cache
Lite-On 52X/32X/52X Black CDRW Burner
64MB Integrated 8X AGP 64-Bit 3D Graphics
3D Enhanced AC-97 Integrated Sound
10/100T Integrated Realtek LAN/Internet Adapter
Mitsumi Internet PS2 Black Keyboard
Mitsumi 2-Button PS2 Wheel Mouse (Black)
4Q 2-Piece Basic Speaker Set
1-Year Parts & Full Labor Warranty & Tech Support

Hows that? Good or bad? or oK?
Found it on EBAY. $306 + $49 shipping
It's alright to start with, I guess, but you should be able to get better than that if you cut out what you don't need to replace. Like a keyboard and mouse....
I found a great apple iBook for $600.
Processor Type: PowerPC G3
Processor Speed: 300MHz
Hard Drive Capacity: 3.2 GB
RAM: 32MB
Max. RAM: 160MB
RAM Technology: SDRAM
Modem Speed: 56.0kbps
Installed Video Memory: 4MB
Display Size: 12.1in
Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Resolution: 800 x 600 (SVGA)
Operating System: MacOS, MacOS 8.5
Network Support: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps), Fast Ethernet
Cache Size: 512kb
Display Resolution: 800 x 600 (SVGA)
Included Drives: CD-ROM, Hard Drive - Portable
CD-ROM Read Speed: 24X
Connectors: Audio - Line Out (1/8" Stereo Mini-Plug), Ethernet - RJ-45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), Serial - RJ-11 Modular (Phone), USB
Sound Support: Digital Audio (16-bit)
Input Devices: Keyboard, Touchpad
Chassis Color: Tangerine
Battery Life: 6hours
Number of Batteries: 1
Other Drives: CD-ROM, Hard Drive
"This computer was a hand-me-down in a business. It ended up with my daughter who never used it. I added memory after the factory and updated operating system to Mac OS X 10. Has a brand new Airport Card. There is litlerally no memory taken up. Exterior is in perfect shape. Keyboard and mouse are in perfect working order."

Good?
also found the same thing on ebay for $280, but i have to bid and there is over 9 hours left
You can get a much better PC notebook for that much on ebay. 9_9

s**t, my P3 700MHz, 256MB, Win2K Pro, 9GB notebook only cost me $25 Canadian.... hahaha, but that was the sale of the century. The same notebook runs about $400 on ebay. Dell Latitude L400.
id like to point out that macs and mac laptops are the #1 most fradulant (fake) items sold on ebay
so dont buy a mac from ebay
the first one I found wasnt on ebay...well, not directly. I found it on half.com, which is still ebay, but you dont bid, just buy. But i guess you have a point, it does seem too good for its price
the notebook you got Raijin Z, is it a really good one? I'm not gonna buy ANYTHING Pentium III or lower.
Which do you guys think would be better to get; A Desktop or a Laptop?
Both can be upgraded right?
Defiant_ninja
the first one I found wasnt on ebay...well, not directly. I found it on half.com, which is still ebay, but you dont bid, just buy. But i guess you have a point, it does seem too good for its price
the notebook you got Raijin Z, is it a really good one? I'm not gonna buy ANYTHING Pentium III or lower.
Which do you guys think would be better to get; A Desktop or a Laptop?
Both can be upgraded right?

Laptops are harder to upgrade due to limtied space.
Desktops, if u get a nice big case and nice Mobo, can be upgraded by the shitloads.
.....could anyone explain how the internet on a laptop works? I could never understand that...my mom says you have to plug the laptop in to the wall just like a desktop, but I know thats not right. Some kind of a card right? and a lynxus router? I dont know......
about how often do new processor types come out? If I get a laptop with Pentium Celeron right now, does that mean in about 2 years it would be worth the same as Pentium right now? SOOOOO CONFUSED!!!. crying sweatdrop
And how come some Laptops come with 2.6GB and some with a 40GB hard drive storage?

And....yeah......
plus the laptop specs you posted from ebay are bad and i wouldnt waste my money, if you have a monitor keyboard and mouse and dont intend on doing much gaming, get a miny mac

if you want to do gaming
buid your own or find somone to build you one

ebay isnt the safet place to buy a comp
The thing with the mac...I never used one and I dont know ANYTHING about them. I hardly know anything about PC's as it is, but still more than a mac. Macs always do look very cool, but there are alot more programs that require Windows. Plus I like it a bit more.....
And I am thinking of getting a PC built for me, but I'm not gonna do much gaming, I'm getting a PS3 soon as that comes out.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff