Welcome to Gaia! ::

Here is the emerge.info I just made:

Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
Portage 2.0.51-r2 (default-linux/x86/2004.3, gcc-3.3.4, glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1, 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 i686)
=============================================
System uname: 2.6.9-gentoo-r1 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1700MHz
Autoconf: sys-devel/autoconf-2.59-r5
Automake: sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1
Binutils: sys-devel/binutils-2.14.90.0.8-r1
Headers: sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.4.21-r1
Libtools: sys-devel/libtool-1.5.2-r5
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit -frame-pointer"
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
COMPILER=""
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit -frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoaddcvs autoconfig ccache distlocks sandbox sfperms"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo ftp://ftp.rhnet.is/pub/gentoo ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pu.ie/pub/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://vlaai.snt.ipv6.utpv6.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo ftp://mirror.nutsmaas.nl/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups encode f77 font-server foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gnome gpm gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg libg++ libwww mad mikmod motif mpeg ncurses nls oggvorbis opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python qt quicktime readline sdl spell ssl svga tcpd truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts xml2 xmms xv zlib"
grundal
welll honestly I would sugest either not useing genkernel ... or useing the --menuconfig --no-clean --no-mrproper all command line args and deselect stuff that you absalutly don't need through hardware ... such as if you have an nvidia card remove the framebuffer ati support

tried it with genkernel (with all the args), but I still get the same problem, so, how does it work without genkernel?
Gruffer
grundal
welll honestly I would sugest either not useing genkernel ... or useing the --menuconfig --no-clean --no-mrproper all command line args and deselect stuff that you absalutly don't need through hardware ... such as if you have an nvidia card remove the framebuffer ati support

tried it with genkernel (with all the args), but I still get the same problem, so, how does it work without genkernel?
well I'm more used to the 2.6 kernel way now days sence I've upgraded ... but iirc in gentoo after you emerge the kernel just
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make depp
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/<insert what you want the kernels name to be>
cp System.map /boot

the make menuconfig is what you need to look out for ... there are directions for manual kernel compile and things that need to be there for gentoo ... such as devfs ...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=7#doc_chap3
this should run you through it
but basicly make sure you have your filesystem selected {ext2/3, XFS, reiserfs, JFS, ext} any networking options that you need {most likley tcp/ip stuff}

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff