Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Camper

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but just bear with me.
      So, my old apple earphones broke a while ago and I need a new pair. I jump through different pairs of earphones pretty frequently, either because they break due to my careless behavior, or because they're just poor quality.

Is there any way I can tell whether a pair of headphones are good quality or not by reading the info on the box, or do I have to test them myself? Where I am, the stores that sell headphones don't allow you to test them before hand, so I was hoping there was something I could look for or some brand I can look for that has good quality headphones.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
I like Sennheiser.

Skullcandy has a pretty good warranty.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
Skull Candy and JVC (the JVC XX headphones are good from my experience) are 2 brands that I see people buying.
You cannot really suggest much outside of brands if we do not have a general budget.

Dapper Camper

L33t Mule Pants
You cannot really suggest much outside of brands if we do not have a general budget.

Oops, sorry ^^;; Errr, under $50 if that's okay. Spending too much on something I know I'm gonna screw up later on isn't the best idea emotion_facepalm

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I use Skullcandy. I'm on my second pair, the first having lasted just under two years.

Lonely Master

Sennheiser HD 201. I'm on my second pair that I've had for a year, and my other pair lasted three years. They're extremely cheap, too, so you could actually get a better pair if you want.
User Image

10,950 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Level Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
If I don't want to wear big headphones I use JVC Gumy otherwise I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
SlapAHolic
Is there any way I can tell whether a pair of headphones are good quality or not by reading the info on the box?

Sound Mode (Stereo or 5.1 Surround)
Frequency Response
Sensitivity
Gold plated plugs
Cord Length
Ect

Dapper Camper

Areweeffingserious
SlapAHolic
Is there any way I can tell whether a pair of headphones are good quality or not by reading the info on the box?

Sound Mode (Stereo or 5.1 Surround)
Frequency Response
Sensitivity
Gold plated plugs
Cord Length
Ect

Low frequency? High frequency? and what do you mean by sensitivity, and why do gold plated plugs make a difference?
You cannot tell what your experience will be based solely on the specifications of the headphones themselves.

Some things I can definitely tell you though....

Skullcandy headphones are generally junk... don't bother.
AudioTechnica make excellent quality headphones (I currently have one of their studio models)
Sennheiser -- Up there with AudioTechnica

If a rappers name has anything to do with the headphones AVOID THESE s**t CANS.

Newbie Member

7,400 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Voter 100
wolf39us
You cannot tell what your experience will be based solely on the specifications of the headphones themselves.
I agree. I bought a pair of ear buds that said they had alot of bass and they sounded like the garbage headphones back in the day that were pretty much like those old 2 speakers for computers most people had that sounded like garbage and had no bass and maybe even no mids.

Those pair that I bought that sounded that bad were returned that day not to long after I opened them up and used them to find out there were garbage.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
wolf39us
Subjectively, if you're an audiophile, sure. Skullcandy are known for not having the best fidelity and have very biased sound. However a surprising number of young people actually prefer that bias anyways. Furthermore, an even larger group of people either can't hear the difference or simply don't care that much about absolute perfect fidelity. So to call them junk is being a bit elitist.

While they might not have the sound of HD650s or ATH-W5000s, they are perfectly reasonable for the vast majority of average people who are listening to average-quality recordings of contemporary music played on common consumer electronic devices. The OP is not asking what audiophile cans they should get to connect to the tube amp of their $10,000 turntable.

Furthermore, if the OP sees the destruction of the headphones as an inevitability, Skullcandy has the best warranty of any of the brands listed (within the stated price bracket). If they break and it's their fault, you get 100% back so you can replace them. If they break and it's your fault, you still get 50% back so you can replace them.
Sitwon
wolf39us
Subjectively, if you're an audiophile, sure. Skullcandy are known for not having the best fidelity and have very biased sound. However a surprising number of young people actually prefer that bias anyways. Furthermore, an even larger group of people either can't hear the difference or simply don't care that much about absolute perfect fidelity. So to call them junk is being a bit elitist.

While they might not have the sound of HD650s or ATH-W5000s, they are perfectly reasonable for the vast majority of average people who are listening to average-quality recordings of contemporary music played on common consumer electronic devices. The OP is not asking what audiophile cans they should get to connect to the tube amp of their $10,000 turntable.

Furthermore, if the OP sees the destruction of the headphones as an inevitability, Skullcandy has the best warranty of any of the brands listed (within the stated price bracket). If they break and it's their fault, you get 100% back so you can replace them. If they break and it's your fault, you still get 50% back so you can replace them.

Biased to what? Do you mean bass?

I've got two pairs of Skullcandy headphones and neither of them were anything close to what they should be in terms of audio tuning. I love bass and I'm NOT at the level of an audiophile so you can take that assumption back. Furthermore, my girlfriend cares even less about audio and SHE thought they were junk too.

After doing research on skull candy and finding almost universal acceptance in the audio world that skull candy is junk even at that price range, I moved on to Audiotechnica.

OP if you can push yourself to closer to $100 then you'll never look back at the cheap crap!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff