Welcome to Gaia! ::

ok. this is what is up. My grlfrnd bought me a western digital caviar 200g 7200 rpm HDD for christmas..

That said, i have an older computer and i have been unable to get my computer to recognize more then 128g worth of the HDD.

i have talked with the makers of my board (gigabyte) and they have assured me that my board can support this hdd to its full capacity, but so far all instruction they have given me have failed. The network administrator here at my school has no clue, and one of my friends who is working on a degree in computer stuff is haveing problems understanding this...

i have been told from all sides that it should work...

since this mess has started i have updated my chipset, plus updated specific stuff in windows, and flashed the bios to the newest version.

does anyone have any other ideas to what may be causing thi sand what i can do to fix it..

my mobo is a a gigabyte ( ga-6vtxe-a )
Well, a breif list of what has been attempted would be nice. As it is, I don;t know if you have checked jumpers, tried it on the primary setting by itself, checked the bios, tried it in another computer, or what.

If you could tell us what has been tried so we dont have to re-start from square one, ti would be nice. 3nodding heart
Sneasle

plus updated specific stuff in windows

What "specific stuff" did you update?

A list as Kiretsu requested would also be great.
Sneasle
ok. this is what is up. My grlfrnd bought me a western digital caviar 200g 7200 rpm HDD for christmas..

That said, i have an older computer and i have been unable to get my computer to recognize more then 128g worth of the HDD.

i have talked with the makers of my board (gigabyte) and they have assured me that my board can support this hdd to its full capacity, but so far all instruction they have given me have failed. The network administrator here at my school has no clue, and one of my friends who is working on a degree in computer stuff is haveing problems understanding this...

i have been told from all sides that it should work...

since this mess has started i have updated my chipset, plus updated specific stuff in windows, and flashed the bios to the newest version.

does anyone have any other ideas to what may be causing thi sand what i can do to fix it..

my mobo is a a gigabyte ( ga-6vtxe-a )

i did post a list.. .. i have flashed the bios... tring booting with the drive as the onyl drive hooked up (primary) ... i updated windows to suport large disks.. (something i found from WD website) i update the hyperion chipset on my board.. my gf bout the same drive.. hers is fine.. and i put my in her comp earlier and it was fine then.....

what else woudl you liek to know
Kiretsu
Well, a breif list of what has been attempted would be nice. As it is, I don;t know if you have checked jumpers, tried it on the primary setting by itself, checked the bios, tried it in another computer, or what.

If you could tell us what has been tried so we dont have to re-start from square one, ti would be nice. 3nodding heart

i did give you a list in my first post.. its in the middle of the post...
Victus
Sneasle

plus updated specific stuff in windows

What "specific stuff" did you update?

A list as Kiretsu requested would also be great.

there is a list.. read the the first post instead of just comenting
The BIOS flash should have done it. The 128g barrier is something in most things that they wern't designed to read that big of sizes until about half a decade ago. Usually it's a BIOS flash that does it, or a Windows setting for large drive support.
DopplerZero
The BIOS flash should have done it. The 128g barrier is something in most things that they wern't designed to read that big of sizes until about half a decade ago. Usually it's a BIOS flash that does it, or a Windows setting for large drive support.

this mobo is only about 4 years old.. and was a really good board when i bought it.....

i have done both of those. flashed the bios and the windows setting.. still doenst change anthing
Sure the entire thing is in the partition?
DopplerZero
Sure the entire thing is in the partition?

it wont partition any larger then 128
Ah ha...what are you using to partition it?
http://www.md4pc.com/questions/58.htm

If you're running an older computer on Windows 98, you may hit an absolute barrier that cannot be circumvented without a controller card (?) or support from the manufacturer. I was able to get my 160gb to detect as a 137gb hard drive under 98SE, but no higher than that.

At the point at which your hardware is no longer supported by the OS, it is time to upgrade the OS.
If you are partitioning it with FAT32 in WinXP or 2K, the partition size limit is 128GB. Use NTFS.

If you are using Win9x, you will need to use the included partitioning software and partition the drive in multiple partitions of 64GB or less. The XP and NT limit of 128GB in FAT32 still allows making multiple partitions that size or smaller to use the entire drive.
i have trief formating in windows.. ( xp had that nice little feature) .. i have also tried with a boot disk doing an fdisk.. i have also tried with partition magic...
Windows XP, I take it? Then you shouldn't have this barrier...Shouldn't being the operative word. Does your BIOS detect it as larger then 128?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff