Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I want to sell something that uses a code like the one used for the pets that you click on to feed and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what language it is in, or give me a least a hint of the right direction so that I know what language I am going to start teaching myself in the morning after I go to the library xp

If some one could give me an example feedable pet code that they wrote, for me to change, that would be great, but I doubt that anyone woul do that... whee

anyways, does anyone have any clue how it is done?
You want to write a digital pet for your PC? Any programming language will do. But I'll be honest, you're not going to be able to do it.
agreed.

i'd recommend C++, but honestly it'll take you years to do it unless you have a strong background in CS
The easiest way to produce a graphical game of any sort, imo, is to learn Flash. Quick results, and the language isn't too hard to pick up. Lots of tutorials on how to make simple games too ... the only catch is that you'll need a Flash compiler/editor program.

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Kaelic
You want to write a digital pet for your PC? Any programming language will do. But I'll be honest, you're not going to be able to do it.

why can't I? i have taught my self HTML and CSS without even using a book... and this time I'm actually looking for a book. I'm not trying so much to write a full game, as I am to code a little pet like they sell in the minishops.. it looks to me like all you would need theoretical is some sort of script that counted how many times an image was clicked on and changed the image for each click... then the only other thing I would need to add to that is something that records who clicked each click and when so that no one can click on the image 20 times in one second. logicaly it seems quite simple, although I am sure the code wouldn't be...

I was thinking maybe that PHP might be a good base... at least that is what I am told most other people use for this sort of thing..

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
ScareTrolfey
The easiest way to produce a graphical game of any sort, imo, is to learn Flash. Quick results, and the language isn't too hard to pick up. Lots of tutorials on how to make simple games too ... the only catch is that you'll need a Flash compiler/editor program.

I'm not quite making a game.. I have the software to do that I think... at least I have software that can do flash animation with code as well... I just haven't really messed with it... I don't want to use flash graphics though, just static jpegs...

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
plus, to top it all off, my father writes accounting software, he has his own programing business... so I gess if I get too hung up, he could help me ^__^ heart
Try PHP that's what I use for programming my website. If you can do HTML and CSS you'll be able to make it, peice of cake!
My suggestion is make a site with a PHP form that counts and link to it with an image in your siggy and then make it show the counter beneath the image. Then on the page that it goes to make a "Close this window" or "Go back" button.
I assume most of the pet things [in signatures] are in PHP. If you want one to reside on your desktop, you can use a number of things. C++ would be a b***h and totally unnecessary for so simplistic a project. VB, I would imagine, could handle it.
If you want something simple, then all you do is give the person a picture and a link to a script with their name/number. When someone clicks the link, the script updates a database with +1 clicks. After that, it depends on what you want to do.

For the desktop, VB would be much simpler and faster.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff