Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't really know about all the Computer stuff... Anyway, my PC is 2.4GHz P4... and it used to run very fast..... but after a while or lately.. when I open any program..it open very slow...and there is like a lag on the internet explorer and even on my normal My Document and stuff... the table or the item shows very slowly....and sometimes it get stuck... sad

Some of my friend ask me to add a fan to cool my PC down..and so I add some... now i have like 4 or 5 fan....
One of them said my mother board isn't very good or something... and so he said I should change the motherboard... stare ?

There is no Trojan or anything... So, what's the problem?
and is there anyway to make my PC work faster?... what shoudl I buy or add? gonk
Have you checked for spyware/adware, or tried defragmenting your hard drive?
kumiko_a
Have you checked for spyware/adware, or tried defragmenting your hard drive?

yeah..check spywear/adware..antivirus and all those stuff....
and defragment thingy?.... my sis said i shouldn't touch that thingy... why is that? gonk
are you sure your sister didn't say not to go near the reformat and not defrag?
Umm lots of things could cause this.

When was the last time you defragged??

Have you ran any Boot time scans of your drives??
somtimes a file size error can casue file seeking errors

Check in MSconfig to see how many things you have running on startup.

Also have you ever ran a a scan for spywares. Lavasoft, or spybot are good applications for this.
i got Spybot search&destroy and anti-spy thingy too... plus with norton antivirus2004...updated always... and i don't know how to reformat so i won't do it at all... but defrag.. hmm... and those other thing MS Config?.... I don't know how and what is that.... gonk ninja
What is your version of Windows?

I would try the following:
1. Defrag the hard drive. Go to the Start Menu, select Programs, Accessories, then System Tools, and finally Disk Defragmenter. Select the C: drive, and then "Defragment". If possible, schedule the Defragmenter to run on a weekly basis at a time you arent' normally using it.

2. Clean out your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files.: Open Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu, then Internet Options. In the "Temporary Internet Files" box, click"Delete Cookies", and after that is finished, "Delete Files". *NOTE: You will have to re-login to any web sites where you are automatically logged in (eg, Gaia, Livejournal, Hotmail, etc.) You'll want to do this on a regular basis to avoid it bogging down your system.

3. Reduce the number of icons on your desktop. Each icon on your desktop uses up valuable RAM. As a general rule, keep only the programs you use on a regular basis on your desktop, such as "My Documents", "Internet Explorer", "Recycle Bin", and things of that sort. I personally keep my desktop icons down to 10 or fewer.

There are other things you can do to help, but these are a couple i'm in the regular practice of doing myself...

Hope it helps!
Try defragging. All it does is move the files around so that the computer can run faster, which will always help.

If that doesn't help...you might have to format.
phrogg
What is your version of Windows?

I would try the following:
1. Defrag the hard drive. Go to the Start Menu, select Programs, Accessories, then System Tools, and finally Disk Defragmenter. Select the C: drive, and then "Defragment". If possible, schedule the Defragmenter to run on a weekly basis at a time you arent' normally using it.

2. Clean out your Cookies and Temporary Internet Files.: Open Internet Explorer, click on the Tools menu, then Internet Options. In the "Temporary Internet Files" box, click"Delete Cookies", and after that is finished, "Delete Files". *NOTE: You will have to re-login to any web sites where you are automatically logged in (eg, Gaia, Livejournal, Hotmail, etc.) You'll want to do this on a regular basis to avoid it bogging down your system.

3. Reduce the number of icons on your desktop. Each icon on your desktop uses up valuable RAM. As a general rule, keep only the programs you use on a regular basis on your desktop, such as "My Documents", "Internet Explorer", "Recycle Bin", and things of that sort. I personally keep my desktop icons down to 10 or fewer.

There are other things you can do to help, but these are a couple i'm in the regular practice of doing myself...

Hope it helps!

Window XP Professional

1. so...doing the defrag thingy won't make me lose files or corrup any program? and it can be done often??...

2. i do that every time..after i go offline...

3.i got more than 10icon on desktop..i will minimize the amount..thanx surprised
AIN13
Window XP Professional

1. so...doing the defrag thingy won't make me lose files or corrup any program? and it can be done often??...

3.i got more than 10icon on desktop..i will minimize the amount..thanx surprised
Yes, you can defrag without hurting your system, and it could be done everyday if you wanted.
PS - If your computer is more than a month old, leave your computer alone while it's defragging. Go watch a movie and come back after that, and hopefully it'll be done by then.
The Darkness Makuta
AIN13
Window XP Professional

Yes, you can defrag without hurting your system, and it could be done everyday if you wanted.

However, defragging daily is highly unrecommended. It can drastically shorten the lifespan of the hard drive.
AIN13
Window XP Professional

Running Defrag just reorganizes the files on your hard drive to make it easier to get to them, and actually is healthy for your computer, and no. it won't harm your programs or files.
As a conclusion..I think I will do the defrag thingy tmr... thank you for your help (everybody) 3nodding I hope my PC won't be running damn slow anymore after that domokun
i hate the internet now a days i mean seriously everywhere you go theres those damn pop ups and slow down even the fastest computers i check my pc with spysweeper every day my brand new sony vaio desktop is still slower then hell my pentium 1 piece gateway is as fast as my vaio... its sad..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff