Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bucktoothed Sex Symbol

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows Vista and my disk C AND disk D are getting full. I am complete unsure how to fix it, because I am not a techy. but I would like some advice. Is it possible that there could be invisible files or anything of the sort? Also I wouldn't be able to pin point the issue. It just kinda randomly happened.

User Image

User Image

Aged Lunatic

It's not really 'memory' in how most would imply the word, but the simplest way you can avoid it getting full is by avoiding installing craptons of stuff or downloading things as that's more or less how you fill an HDD/SDD up.

Judging by what's in your screenshot of the D: drive though (not that either screenshot is really useful in this particular case as there are tons and tons of subfolders in each of those folders), and my experience with dell, D: is most likely a recovery drive where Dell keeps backups of certain things in the event of a system recovery through their tools. That one being mostly-full isn't necessarily too unusual as the system recovery "drive" is really just a partition on the drive.

As for C:, you can try using the disk cleanup tool built into windows, to at least clean out things like temporary files, old windows update packages, amongst other things.

Alternatively also check your Add/Remove Programs tool to see if there are any programs you may want uninstalled that you don't use (this might be more suited to someone a bit more tech-familiar however so you don't just go uninstalling tons of random stuff and screw up your windows).

More than likely the disk cleanup will clean out a lot of stuff, considering you're on vista and the Inspiron 1520 is a roughly 7 year old model, which it looks like your system may have literally been running since that period judging by some of the timestamps of your files, you likely have an incredible amount of temporary files and stuff if no one has ever bothered to run the cleanup tool or cleanout temp files before.
use winrar to compress files or or use cloud services to store data
You can also use WinDirStat to figure out what's taking up the most space on your hard drives and delete whatever can go.
Do you mean they are filling up because of dowloads and other stuff YOU have added....or do you mean they are just filling up seemingly by themselves.

If it's the first you can move a lot of the files into the cloud or onto external storage

If it is the latter you may have some kind of trogan, spyware/adware or worm type of problem which is running and filling your disc with garbage.. which if you have system restore running will probably store the stuff twice

Try running Anti virus scans and Malwarebytes / superantispyware scans ..preferably in Safe mode, if it in fact detects stuff you should then re scan with System restore turned off.

read the sticky posting at the top of the forums on spyware ,trojans etc

what sizes of Discs are you filling up by the way ???

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff