Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok, so long story short I want to make a MUD. For those who don't know what this is, it's a Multi-User Dungeon. As far as I know they're pretty much all text-based. But I have no idea where to start, what coding program to use, where to find tutorials and stuff. So if anyone could give me any info I would greatly appreciate it.
Most MUDs are done in C++, with a basic input-output system of command=reaction.
Ex. if input = Get yon flask
Output = Ye cannot get yon flask.
As for the coding, google turotials.
That leads me to two more questions. Is C++ free, and if so where can I get it?
C++ is just a language the compiles are what cost money but im sure u can find one that dosent cost. U could try .net framework or i use Visual C++ 6.0 but that cost money.
borland c++ is pretty good. Thats what I used in my programming class.
There are many free docs on c++. Thinking in C++ is a good one. I do not recommend tutorials, as they tend to focus on a particular combination of OS / compiler / coding style & technique.

There are free compilers of c++, most popular: GCC. The Bloodshed DevC++ and DJGPP are popular GCC based IDE == Integrated Development Environments for Windows.

Finlay there are free libraries, like IO, networking and others. Most IDEs comes with a basic set of libs.
Yes iv hurd thats a good program 2 Just VERY large my friend used it but he said there was alot of glitches so i never did

Newbie Noob

Dev-C++ is free.

This tutorial uses dev-c++

Mud Pies 1.0
Mud Pies 2.0

Here's a whole book
Clicky

The only problem is, programming a mud is easy. Developing content is what's going to kill you. Content takes so much time... :'(

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff