Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Fatcat

5,075 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
I built a website a few years ago from the ground up for my old church, but left a few pages unfinished. They contacted me today wanting to know if I could finish it for them, and possibly make the back end more user-friendly. Right now it's hosted on Yahoo, with no CMS whatsoever.

I've been looking into migrating the site to Wordpress as it's a fairly simple site, but when I read the tutorials, I feel like I'm trying to read Latin. Could anyone point me in the direction of a dumbed-down version of a tutorial? Or even consider giving me a quick step-by-step rundown? I'm good at Googling what I don't understand, so it wouldn't have to be broken down into, like, baby steps.

Thanks in advance heart
Is your problem with WordPress setup, or figuring out how to recreate your site in WordPress once it's been setup? Does your web host offer an automatic WordPress installation option (this is pretty popular)?

Heart Seeker

4,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Kirstin Lee
I built a website a few years ago from the ground up for my old church, but left a few pages unfinished. They contacted me today wanting to know if I could finish it for them, and possibly make the back end more user-friendly. Right now it's hosted on Yahoo, with no CMS whatsoever.

I've been looking into migrating the site to Wordpress as it's a fairly simple site, but when I read the tutorials, I feel like I'm trying to read Latin. Could anyone point me in the direction of a dumbed-down version of a tutorial? Or even consider giving me a quick step-by-step rundown? I'm good at Googling what I don't understand, so it wouldn't have to be broken down into, like, baby steps.

Thanks in advance heart

Are you trying to go to a WP.com site or install wp.org to your site? C:

Sparkly Fatcat

5,075 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
trevorDD
Eteindre
bhnascar

I can't believe I just posted and ditched like that. Completely forgot I even asked for help gonk

I was able to get WP set up, turns out my webhost had one-click install for it. I've been able to get some content migrated over, but I ran into an issue when setting up the navbar.
The theme I'm using is Migration Theme Master, which is basically a completely stripped-down, barebones theme. When you first install it and erase all of the "Welcome to Wordpress" junk that WP sets up for you, you literally have a blank page, like you uploaded a blank html document.

Now, when I try to set up my navbar, it's just a vertical link list -- no CSS applied whatsoever. What do I reference in my CSS to apply it?

If need be, I can set up the menu manually, but the idea is for the pastor or staff to be able to just log in and change things around, and there's no way they'll be able to figure out the code. It would be a small price to pay to have the rest of the site CMS-backed, but I know there's got to be a way to do it.

Aged Lunatic

Since you've already got wordpress set up, suggesting alternatives I suppose isn't all that applicable currently, so at the very least I'd suggest making sure if you're not going to be maintaining it at all for them, to make them understand the importance of updating Wordpress every time an update is released and to not go installing plugins wildly.

Wordpress has a very easy to use model, but to make it otherwise stupid-easy there are always a lot of corners cut security-wise, and unfortunately with an otherwise lax moderated plugin community a lot of plugins and themes are written by idiots who should never touch PHP, which also tend to have vulnerabilities frequently as well.

Sparkly Fatcat

5,075 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Synapt
Since you've already got wordpress set up, suggesting alternatives I suppose isn't all that applicable currently, so at the very least I'd suggest making sure if you're not going to be maintaining it at all for them, to make them understand the importance of updating Wordpress every time an update is released and to not go installing plugins wildly.

Wordpress has a very easy to use model, but to make it otherwise stupid-easy there are always a lot of corners cut security-wise, and unfortunately with an otherwise lax moderated plugin community a lot of plugins and themes are written by idiots who should never touch PHP, which also tend to have vulnerabilities frequently as well.

Thanks for the tip. gaia_star
What are the alternatives that you were going to suggest? I'm going to be setting up another site in the near future, and am open to just about anything.

Also, the fact that tips are now 10,000g makes me giggle. Is inflation really that bad now? I'm like never here anymore.

Aged Lunatic

Kirstin Lee
Synapt

Thanks for the tip. gaia_star
What are the alternatives that you were going to suggest? I'm going to be setting up another site in the near future, and am open to just about anything.

Also, the fact that tips are now 10,000g makes me giggle. Is inflation really that bad now? I'm like never here anymore.

Personally as far as CMS's go I'm a far fonder fan from a security standpoint of Drupal, but with it's generally notable better security it's also a fair bit more technical-ish (but software wise the current Drupal versions are based off the Symfony Framework, which is one of the best PHP frameworks around, but I'm digressing into my fandom-ism).

And Inflation? Bad? My jolly hat is only worth like 6 or 7 billion gold at the moment, why there's absolutely no inflation at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff