Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/10/298702.html

Trying to sort through this piece, and separate the potential truth from the bullshit. Thus, I come to users here who know far more about operating systems than I. What's your assessment of Mr. McCarron's piece?

Edit: To clarify, I understand he's being deliberately liberal in wording. Concerning his interpretations, is there potential truth in his analogies. Should've worded it somewhat better to begin with.
Potential, yes.

But probobly not.

I am still edging my way through the article. He gives no references or sources to the information, other than "try it" as with the drive backup. If drive back up isnt supposed to copy over secure files, it wouldnt exactly be a bacup, now would it? There are plenty of other programs that do the same thing, and in my opinion, better, but you dont see him mention those, as they are seperate from "Big Brother"

He is a conspiricy theorist in my opinion. This quote, about a mistake in Win2k proves it.

Quote:
Executive 1: '...my hand slipped and wrote 10 pages of code..., no wait...,
Executive 2: the dog coded it, ah nuts..., erm...,
Executive 1: Can we blame Bin Laden?'

Its Windows 2000... When 2k was released, Bin Laden was just barely even in the media, and it was hardly due to Sept 11th, which hadnt hapened yet.

He hardly posts any technichal facts for what he is claiming, except in the TCP/IP stuff which they way he spews it out sounds like he had help from someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about, or at least enough to convice him that "Oh yea, its true." which, by the looks of the article, doesnt take much.

More as I get through the article.
Well, first and formost, it is a hypothesis. It is based on opinion of a product, using remote facts to prove a point.

The memory usage part is definately wrong. When I first installed XP Pro on my computer, I have two old 4GB drives and 64MB of memory. It functioned perfectly fine.

Actually, as I sit through and look through it and and this person says, "Done by Design" after each thing, he leaves out the fact that each of these points can be configured to not do these things.

While the Windows Media Player one has some validity to it, you can still change it, and you do have to run it in the first place for it to check I believe.

Most of the things mentioned are simply to make things easier on the end-user that remains mostly clueless. Yes, this is a Big Brother idea, but with the way America is progressing (Where Mircosoft is based from) ease of use and speed of completion are vastly important. Americans seem to want things done when they say so, and they want them done yesterday.

It's basically just an AntiMicrosoft/Windows document. While Linux is good and all (it's recommended later on in the document) it's not good for everyone. Not every user in the world is fully capable of using Linux (hell, some distros are just an a** to install) let alone using the Mac OS (that's for those hard up Windows users) But there's a flip side to that as well, not everyone can use Windows either.

One just has to take a step back, and take a look at what they do with their computer. Each OS lends itself to certain things, use the OS that best suits what you do.
This Man annoys me.

Quote:
A nice big link to 'Shop for Music Online'. This is a direction to US based enterprises and also a violation of the Microsoft EULA, as it mentions nothing whatsoever in regards to Microsoft Windows being an advertising supported platform.

Does it mention anything condradictory to it either? Im not about to read through it myself, but Im betting it doesnt. If someone has something on this, please post it.

Quote:
If Microsoft is in breach of its EULA, does that invalidate it?

Its hard for a Corporation to break something that is meant for a single person, in my opinion. Does he even know what EULA means?
Quote:
Not only this, but so is the thumbnail cache of all images viewed by the system. This 'feature' is hidden by design and requires either a 1 month long 'disk nuke' (for average 80GB HD) or physical destruction of the disk platters to remove.

What? 1 month disk nuke? No, Im sorry. An 8 way random format would take care of that niceley, even writting Zero's a few times would as well, if it is even true.

I suppose even still you could go, and pay out the a** to some data recover service... but at $100 bucks a meg, it really isnt feasable to do, unless the data is extremley important.

Quote:
The caching can be disabled, however, Microsoft has made this as 'obscure' as possible. Microsoft Windows also does not explain the function of 'Do not cache Thumbnails'.

Oh, thank you so much for telling us... exactly.... how to... not... disable... it... stare

Quote:
It is aware 90% of end-users have the technical aptitude of 'a banana with a with a drink problem' and would never grasp the implications, let alone, understand

Hey, he got one thing right!

Quote:
1. Windows logon ID of the person involved
2. The hotmail email address
3. The Date and time the account was accessed
4. External graphics viewed and the sources of those graphics
5. The machine from which it was accessed.
6. The duration of viewing.
7. And generally, the individuals sexual, political, social, personal and religious preferences based upon the information accessed.

I suppose if you go to HotDrunkenCatholicLiberalBabes.com*, yea, you could derive that information.

*Not meant to offend any hotties, drunks, catholics, liberals, or babes, or any combination therof.

Quote:
10. Protected Storage

Microsoft's Description:
Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.,Started,Automatic,Local System

Alternative Description:
Also provides quick access to this information. Swift breaking of security. Sweet. smile

He doesnt even bother to tell us how, even generally, this is possible.

Quote:
(I'm just losing my head now! This is disgraceful.)

He is right about something else. wink

Quote:
How long as Microsoft been programming Windows for?

Ten, maybe fifteen years, and we are seriously asked to believe that a company with the financial resources of Microsoft cannot a create a bug-free Operating System?

Or... Twenty+

Quote:
I am just worried that this is the entire intention, due to Microsoft's modifications, its software predates 9/11, so it could not use 9/11 as an excuse. I wouldn't like to consider the implications of that statement 'being inaccurate'.

Since the Article is about XP primarily... XP came out in, oh, November of the same year. Just clarification.
I'd like to see someone code a Selective Thumbnail cache, that wouldnt offend someone, Fact is it's there to speed up the display of images when browsing in explorer, and it'll only cache it when you view it

6,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
it may be going a little overboard, and have a lack of examples and solutions but it does get you thinking.
Edited my previous post a few times, just in case anyone missed it.
Quote:
Each and every time a search is conducted using the search option under the start button on Windows XP, the system automatically checks if your online and transmits information directly to Microsoft.

This is done, without informing the end-user in any fashion, nor providing a clear method to disable. It has been hidden by design. In technical terms, a form of Trojan.

A good application level, stateful firewall, will catch this communication attempt.

Done by design.

If Microsoft really wanted to know information about what you where searching, or whatever they could get out of a search, you think they'd be dumb enough to make it detectable by any old shitty firewall program. I think not, they'd prolly mask it into something else so that you'd never know it's there, and/or mask it into a program that you'd allow to access the internet unknowingly allowing the search thing.

Quote:
3. Microsoft Backup

Designed to bypass all security, even ownership rights of a drive. Try it.

Done by design.

Point being? if you are an administrator performing a backup, shouldn't you have access to backup ALL data on one computer. it's a catch 22 really... you can't allow only one person to backup part of something and someone to backup the rest... maybe if you didn't want someone to backup your stuff, you should get your OWN computer... this will makes sure only YOU have access.

Quote:
4. Process Viewer (Task Manager)

No mapping to executable file, nor will it show all running processes. Designed to hide important information required for determining system infections and sources of network data transmission.

Done by design.

Or, maybe they don't want you to see all processes as it would allow ppl to take advantage of the OS, allow ppl to make more virsus to attack the system core and/or other important functions of the OS. Windows IS NOT an open source program,so therefore, by default, they are allowed to hide whatever they feel is necessary to ensure the protection of the OS itself, and the data held on the computer. As well to make it as secure as possible so hackers cannot find ways to "hack" the system.

Quote:
5. Dr Watson

This used to loadup with information on dlls that had been hooked. Hooked DLLs are used to intercept keystroke, etc. Microsoft removed end-users capability to see this. It now generates a simple messagebox.

DLL's AKA Dynamic Link Dibraries are also used to give other vital information to the Operating system. they give instructions to programs to allow that program to run the way it's suppose to. without dll's, program and therefore windows cannot sursisve as there would be no instruction...

Quote:
The Windows Registry

funny, he references linux with their ini files. (which is a great idea I must add) but yet as far as I remember, windows came up with the registry way before linux existed.. so therefore he's comparing a system/program that's been developed before on slightly older technology. As well it would take the redesign of windows to impliment ini filing instead of registry... the registry is now part of the windows backbone, you can't take that out without redesigning the whole thing now (which would make us look @ windows codename longhorn which may impliment many new features that he calls down)

Quote:
9. Recent Files

Only a small portion/subset of the recent files accessed is displayed in 'Documents' section under the start button. The folder that contains the shortcuts has a far longer list hidden from general view.

For example, 11 files are listed under the Start buttons 'My Documents', however, 'My Recent Files' contains 17 entries. The other 6 came from my last list of files which I deleted using the 'Clear' button.

Done by design.
Microsoft is trying to make it easier for a normal user to be less complicated by having 17 entries in the recent files and he's complain? WTF man.. Microsoft is using the KISS method... nothing more, nothing less. You should know which files are most recent N E way, you shouldn't need a complete list of ALL files that are new. Obviously to me, I would only need the top 5-7 files in that list...

Quote:
10. NotePad

Windows XP versions cannot word wrap properly and have been redesigned to make their usage as frustrating as possible. For example, when saving text only file, the screen resets the position of the text to the line where the cursor is at.

This takes specific coding and not something that happens by accident. The idea is to push people towards Microsoft Office, were all security can be breached and copies written, at will, across your drive.

Done by design.

two words here... WINDOWS UPDATES buddy... it is possible to have messups in an OS, and EVEN if they were trying to get ppl to use office, it makes since to me.. trying to get ppl to buy their prduct so they make more money... looks like someone's jelious they never thought of this idea hahah

Quote:
12. Firewall

Incoming firewall only. This allows spyware to transmit information without any problems or detection. 90% of spyware information is transmitted to and shared throughout the US.

Done by design

Microsoft is in no way responsible for spyware or do they have a firewall that specifically "allows" spyware... even some of the best firewalls cannot prevent spyware... it's the donfig on the users system.. if you allow all cookies and trust every site, it doesn't matter what you have firewalled, spyware will be on your system. Too many varients other then just a firewall allow spyware, including the user unknowingly allowing it by clicking "yes" to a pop-up... this is not Microsoft problem if you CANNOT READ WHAT'S ON YOUR SCREEN.

Quote:
13. Memory Usage

Designed to use large amounts of memory to drive the hardware industry sales of components. For Windows XP to function correctly, it requires at least 1GB RAM and at two physical drives on separate IDE channels or SCSI interface I/O.

Where the hell are you from? a gig of RAM?? on ANY comptuer I've used (which is a lot) window sruns prefectly fine with 128 (it's recommended) to run corectly. and two drives? ARE YOU OK??? whereever you got this form I dont' know, but it works jsut the same with one, two, or 8 drives on it...

Quote:
14. Automatic Updates

Can allow remote installation of any form of software at Microsoft's whim.

Done by design.

This could be true... tho you can opt to DISABLE autoupdates all together and order the updates cd instead if you like... If you'd rather NOT have updates and patches to your OS as soon as they are released, then be my guest, but when you get virsus like sasser and blaster.. don't come crawlin' to anyone...

Quote:
15. Raw Sockets

Microsoft prevents new protocols being developed on Windows to prevent usage of nonstandard protocols. This allows for easy access to information. It also prevents the disabling of Microsoft's TCP/IP stack, which for all we know, could have 30,000 extra 'ports' coded into it

also, it could be to unsure that ppl cannot create protocols to attack and allow specific access to ppl's computers. again... Microsoft is NOT OPEN SOURCE, why would the yallow development of someone else's protocol on their product? Why do you think they are rich, it's not becuase they let anyone do what they want...

Quote:
17. Music Tasks

A nice big link to 'Shop for Music Online'. This is a direction to US based enterprises and also a violation of the Microsoft EULA, as it mentions nothing whatsoever in regards to Microsoft Windows being an advertising supported platform.

No matter how small the feature, that is still what it represents. If Microsoft is in breach of its EULA, does that invalidate it?

Done by design.

I worked for microsoft's tech support, and this is in, no way, a violation of the EULA AKA End User License Agreement.
Kiretsu
Quote:

Ten, maybe fifteen years, and we are seriously asked to believe that a company with the financial resources of Microsoft cannot a create a bug-free Operating System?

Or... Twenty+
I would like to point out that anytime you have that many people working on the same project, it's a wonder you accomplish anything at all. Any OS company has patches every few months, if they're worth their salt, as no OS on the market(since the days when an OS was written by essentially a single person) is really "perfect". They're perfect only in that they can be adapted to counter any issues that may arise.
Quote:
Alternative Description:
Part of CD Burning and this thing is a nightmare. Any CD you make, it first makes a copy to the system drive, then only to use a scratch drive after that. Why?

That action is a waste of time. This is designed to generate 'ghost images' that can be recovered by Magnetic Force Microscopy. It is unlikely that the target subject will destroy their boot drive. Also, pointing the scratch to another drive, just makes more ghost copies.

Not only that, but I have caught Windows XP, pointing me to the CD burning directory when viewing CDs. That would suggest a cached image of some form.

Done by design.

If you don't like the windows burning software, then don't friggin' use it. A lot of ppl buy combo drive and do not have two cd ROM drives, so allowing to make a "ghost" image makes sure that all users with only one ROM can still burn cd's. (if they are doing a cd to cd burn.) As well... he's catching himself here, earlier he stated that there is a "ghost" copy of all files in the first place, so why would microft allow for yet another "ghost"copy of the same files? and if all thses "ghost" images are being stored then shouldn't I see loss of hd space?

Quote:
6. Indexing Service

Microsoft's Description:
Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language. ,,Manual,Local System

Alternative Description:
A search using the DOS emulator will run like a bullet. Windows search, however, will take its time unless the indexing service is activated. This provides quick post-forensic and real-time access to files remote files.

This behavior is by design. smile
When you disable this feature, it no longer keeps table of where files are, so therefore takes longer to access. As well he's forgot altogether that in DOS, everything is 16 bit and doens't support long filenames... the old 8.3 rule doesn't apply in windows anymore.

Quote:

Alternative Description:
May the saints preserve us from RPC. RPC provides remote computers with the ability to operate your PC and listens for these connections on the network/Internet.

What sort of idiotic decision making was behind an RPC service that cannot be disabled? Why not just come into my livingroom M$? You're practically there anyway!

(I'm just losing my head now! This is disgraceful.)

Done by design.

RPC can be disabled ... this whole article is outdated and moronic... with SP2 RPC is no longer a problem...

Quote:
19. Wireless Zero Configuration

Microsoft's Description:
Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapters,,Disabled,Local System

Alternative Description:
Zero configuration means zero security and that's exactly what you get. The entire network is exposed to anyone within reception range. Therefore, if you are using this in your home environment, that can mean remote monitoring from up to 3Km using proper equipment, or someone else using your Internet connection from a range of around 50-80m radius.

Even with security, the IEEE specification for WEP was clearly manipulated and weakened by interested parties.

There is no other acceptable excuse for that level of incompetence.

Done by design

First off, Wireless Zero Configuration is NOT A PRODUCT OF MICROSOFT! they did not recearch it nor develop it. Wireless Zero Configuration is just the standard for wireless transmission... routers use it, everythign wireless uses it.. yes, even phones do to. Microsoft is just SUPPORTING the wireles product, and is in no way responsible even IF "the IEEE specification for WEP was clearly manipulated and weakened by interested parties." becuase IEEE is the company who MAKES the standards... if they say it's acceptable, then it is. as well... it's wireless.. there is no real way to totally secure wireless... he's pointing a finger @ Microsoft for wireless NOT BEING SECURE???!!!

Quote:
20. Microsoft Works

Breach of trade descriptions act? Microsoft 'probably' Works. smile

Really, it is an 'implied' suggestion based on the play of words. It can be described as 'psychologically misleading', human psychology is extremely complex, even if most humans are not.

This implied statement is registered at a deeper level of the brain and assigned its true meaning. Otherwise, you would have never considered the relationship in the first place.

One way of describing this is, 'marketing', the accurate description is 'subliminal programming', it does not matter how slight the incident.

This is very, similar in style, to the 'French Fries' and 'Freedom Fries' incident in the US, used to blind the US citizens from war opposition, through manipulation of patriotic beliefs.

Shameful.

Done by design.

Is there a ******** point to this one?????? How they do their marketing, using "implied" meaning or not is up to them.... hundreds of thousands of companies do this... it's a common practice among many of them. As well... I don't many ppl who have MS words and it does "work" for them...

Quote:
Windows Security, Not What You Think

Since all security products that operate on the Microsoft Platform are both designed from, and encapsulated by the OS, then it is ultimately Microsoft Windows that is providing your security and not your firewall, etc.

So, any product that claims to provide security FOR windows, is simply reflecting the limited understanding the company has of what it is doing.

So he's saying that large companies that are making millions of dollars a year giving security don't know what they are doing? This guy has balls ... big brass ones... funny he's not a CEO of a large company putting MS out of business with this article.. if he knows all their secrets why not start your own company bud and put MS to shame!!

Quote:
Bugs Of The Third Kind

Companies with lesser resources than Microsoft provide such systems for Air-Traffic control and medical purposes (Heart Monitors, etc). A perfect example here is OpenBSD. OpenBSD is a free Operating System and with very little funding (nowhere near what Microsoft has, in a million years) the only remote exploits you will find, anywhere in the world, will be at least 12 months old.

I would like to mention that all the above examples are all either DOS based, have been around WAY LONGER then MS. Heart monitors are not OC based for f*ckin' moron... they are EXTREMELY simple and based more on hardware then anything... there is not complex coding to that... when the heart beat gets below this speed... start makin' noises... anyone with a soldering gun and wirin' and s**t can make a simple one... (possible I'm sure, but somethig nI myslef know little on. i'm not one for soldering) Also, comparing MS to ANY other system like linux OpenBSD is stupid... they have different functions... you knwo why OpenBSD doesn't have many problems? Becasue it ws made my the people.. made by programmers for programmers type thing. Why would a fellow programmer create a virus to take down a system they helped create? The ONLY reason Ms is hit by so many virsus is because they are so big... if OpenBSD was like MS I bet they's have jsut as many problems too...

Quote:
A Small Bit of Advice

Linux...Open Source...Free...No worries.

this might be frue for those of us who know how to use it.. but what about joe blow who knows nothing about computers? you think they are gonna be able to pickup linux and understand it in a day and use it like a pro in a week? NO.. tha'ts hwy windows is SO popular, because it takes the work out of it for those ppl who dont' like to spend hours in front of a computer. My mother would rather shoot her leg then spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to burn a cd.. but microsoft makes it possible for my mom to know how to within a few minutes of explination....
Xeon Sempai
Kiretsu
Quote:

Or... Twenty+
I would like to point out that anytime you have that many people working on the same project, it's a wonder you accomplish anything at all. Any OS company has patches every few months, if they're worth their salt, as no OS on the market(since the days when an OS was written by essentially a single person) is really "perfect". They're perfect only in that they can be adapted to counter any issues that ay arise.

Truer words were never spoken biggrin
You tech forum folk are wonderful, for the record. Much appreciated.
Wow, You all made posts directed to the author of the article.

The only problem is it's highly unlikely he'd ever see this thread.

Kiretsu
Since the Article is about XP primarily... XP came out in, oh, November of the same year. Just clarification.

The article is entitled: M$ Windows XP Professional (etc.)

So the author doesn't get any excuses...

Who exactly is M$?
I've never seen a company called M$, it must be some dodgy re-seller.
Yeah, I'm a give this one a bullshit level of 8 out of 10. He can't spell, he doesn't use proper grammar, and quite a few of the things that are supposedly "sending info to Microsoft" are just normal system functions. I'm sure because I had a third party packet analyzer running for a bit. It's bullshit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff