Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Capitalist

3,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Noticed that my FPS in games (or at least newer titles) have been dropping or running like s**t even on mediocre settings. Took a look at my graphics card and this is what dxdiag is showing:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

After trying to look for anything that goes by Radeon HD 5700, I have come to the conclusion that I can't find much about it. I did find this site though and I'm not happy with what it's showing (even though I don't know the date of update of site).

Benchmark

I haven't updated in 4-5 years. I'm looking to buy one between $175 to $220. What would be my best choice to last me maybe another couple of years?

Dangerous Knife

Graphics cards are not the main power of a game, you also need to debate on your processor and RAM, as both are essential to play optimized settings in games.

Your card is pretty outdated though. I'd suggest a 560 or 680 ti nVIDIA series to play some under-next gen games on some proper settings, but it would require a more standard processor too.

I'd recommend RAM that's more than 4GB too.

Dapper Capitalist

3,850 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Autobiographer 200
cranium coccyx
Graphics cards are not the main power of a game, you also need to debate on your processor and RAM, as both are essential to play optimized settings in games.

Your card is pretty outdated though. I'd suggest a 560 or 680 ti nVIDIA series to play some under-next gen games on some proper settings, but it would require a more standard processor too.

I'd recommend RAM that's more than 4GB too.

Well here's the rest of the dxdiag.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
GPUs are a major driving force behind many games. You may be getting confused with Flash games where Flash itself is a CPU hog but that's comparing apples to oranges.

RAM essentially serves to hold more active tasks simultaneously whilst the power is running and yes more is good up to a point. You're better off making sure that you're not running extraneous tasks when running mid-high end games. This also helps it to run smoother overall by at least mitigating (or possibly avoiding) "virtual memory" use which is slower.
Your CPU and motherboard are pretty old, but they were pretty good when they came out. So we should not worry about replacing them just yet.

For a new GPU I would either go with the MSI R9 280 for $184.99.

The XFX R9 285 for $199.99 after a $30 rebate, if you wanted a little more power.

If you want to go Nvidia, then the EVGA GTX 760 for $179.99 after a $20 rebate.

The 760 does not have as good as price-to-performance ratio as the AMD cards.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff