Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Businessman

So, I've been thinking about buying a low-profile card for our family computer just to at least give it the ability to run most modern games at medium settings in 720p (or 1080p in a few cases,) 'cause it's a little tiring having to turn down the settings for most games to the point to there they look even worse than a Dreamcast game and they still run at like, 10 FPS. I'm lucky enough to manage 20 - 30 FPS in Dungeon Defenders Eternity on the lowest settings in 800x600 (low settings disables the cel-shading that to me, gives the game a neat charm to it.)

A several years ago, we went through two video cards (those being a GT 430, then an HD5670,) and we had crashing issues with both of them. We eventually came to the conclusion that the motherboard was supposedly finicky and didn't like video cards. Recently, I found out that those two cards seem to be known for having a series of issues, so the mobo probably wasn't the issue. Then again, I believe it heavily depends on the manufacturer (the HD5670 was from VisionTek IIRC,) so I don't think that's entirely true.

I'm looking to get a low-profile one, because the CPU would probably bottleneck the crap out of something like a GTX 650, and the power supply probably wouldn't be able to give it enough juice. I don't know the wattage on our current PSU. I'm gonna assume 300W, same as the stock one which died about a year after we got the computer itself, because it seems to be doing pretty well. Then again, if I do happen to encounter any problems that might be related to the power supply, I suppose I could shell out another $40 - $70 for a brand new one.

My current consideration is this Radeon HD7750.

I've also been thinking about replacing the heatsink, since it gets annoyingly loud when under semi-heavy loads, and I don't think it's doing an amazing job at cooling the CPU down. I don't know much about heatsinks, but I'm wondering if this would do any justice. A new case fan like this probably wouldn't hurt as well.

I'm mainly doing this to keep myself busy with games that normally run like a** on the computer until I have the money to buy myself a decent gaming laptop. Or until the new Smash Bros. comes out.

So, any thoughts or suggestions?

PC specs:
Model: Dell Inspiron 570
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8 GHz
RAM: 6 GB (thinking about upgrading this as well, but I think it should be fine, right?)
On-board GPU: Radeon HD4200
HDD: 1TB
PSU: Not the stock one, some used one my step brother found in storage. Probably somewhere around 300W.
A 750TI would be your most powerful choice in this instance (and it requires little power as well)

Magical Businessman

Dreadpirate Chris Roberts
A 750TI would be your most powerful choice in this instance (and it requires little power as well)

Hmmm... It's possible, not sure if it'd get bottlenecked by the CPU by any chance. I also didn't think low profile 750 Ti's even existed.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff