Welcome to Gaia! ::

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100
(I was told I should post this here.)

So, the earbuds for my iPod are falling apart and getting a bit grungy. The time to get a replacement is coming up. But, I don't know what kind I should get.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- I'd rather not get earbuds
- Headphones that can fold up/in on itself
- Sound quality that is as good or better than iPod earbuds
- Price range from free (fat chance I know for that happening) to $30-something USD.
- Comfortable to wear

The boyfriend uses these for his computer, (and this is what I mean by fold up/in on itself in case you don't get what I mean):

Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones MDR-NC7
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I find them pretty good and fairly comfortable, but they do get annoying to wear after some time.

I was recommended CS40 headphones, 2011 Chops Buds and Lowriders but I don't know if they're any good.

So, should I hunt for good headphones, or just get iPod earbuds again?

(Note: I only have a $25 USD Best Buy gift card and some cash to spend, so please don't recommend really expensive headphones!)

Shameless Dabbler

It's not hard to get something that sounds better than the iPod earbuds. They are horrible. Anyway, I would stay clear of all three products that were suggested to you and point out that your requirements are outside your budget. Unless of course you don't mind them being flimsy. The one brand that I really recommend in this price range is Sennheiser, they will not be foldable in this price range for headphones, if they stock any at this price point at all. But the sound quality is good.

I would suggest getting earphones or earbuds again, simply put $25-$50 is a good price range for them, and abut $100+ for nice headphones. Look for some Sennheiser or perhaps Logitech, haven't heard any major problems with them.
i love the skull candy headphones u can get them for 15$ biggrin

Shameless Dabbler

justinBIEBERomg123
i love the skull candy headphones u can get them for 15$ biggrin
But their sound quality is crap and they are flimsy.
It's really hard to tell from reviews. Best thing to do is go to the stores and try out the headphones people suggest.

Some headphones might look nice, but fits awful around the ears because of poor padding.

Sometimes you want ear cups to surround your entire ear, so it helps muffle more background noise, as well as better results from noise canceling headphones.

Some noise cancelling headphones I've looked into
Bose QuietComfort 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling
Audio-Technica ATH ANC27 QuietPoint
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Stereo+Sound+Headphones+-+Black/8256656.p?id=1218014228229&skuId=8256656&st=sennheiser&cp=1&lp=10

They don't fold, but even without folding them they're easy to put away. Or just leave them around your neck.

Questionable Phantom

10,350 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Survivor 150
zAzkay
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Stereo+Sound+Headphones+-+Black/8256656.p?id=1218014228229&skuId=8256656&st=sennheiser&cp=1&lp=10

They don't fold, but even without folding them they're easy to put away. Or just leave them around your neck.

I'm wearing these right now and I can vouch for their quality. Very comfortable and good sound =]
The thing about noise-cancelling headphones is that they require a battery to operate at full performance. Alot of times what this will mean is that when they are off on the nonise cancelling, their performance in a range like say the bass would be reduced amongst other things. What this will do to your long time usage is become hindered by carrying extra batteries/have to remember when to recharge/ use it less that it was advertised at max for meaning you bought a sub par headphone 50% of the time. Now a good closed designed headphone should block off alot of noise naturally, of course that isn't smart for portable usage because one must be aware of their surroundings. Also, seeing how your headphone budget is rather limited and I assume you aren't into any form of sound production, I would reccomend These , as they are more than enough for simple usage and go right into that price range , with great quality of sound, semi-open design, and etc.

Shameless Dabbler

Neiu
The thing about noise-cancelling headphones is that they require a battery to operate at full performance.

You are referring to Active noise canceling headphones, they do not only need a battery to "operate at full performance" but actually need one to run period.

Neiu
Alot of times what this will mean is that when they are off on the nonise cancelling, their performance in a range like say the bass would be reduced amongst other things.

I am not sure if there are any headphones on the market that let you turn off the active noise canceling, but most on the market have passive noise canceling as well. You eluded to this later in the post by pointing to semi closed cups and with this design generally the bass is boosted because of how it interacts with the design. If you are having a bad sound that has more to do with the drivers, or the processing unit is still going.

Neiu
Now a good closed designed headphone should block off alot of noise naturally

A good closed headphone will block off 99% of outside noise.

Neiu
of course that isn't smart for portable usage because one must be aware of their surroundings. Also, seeing how your headphone budget is rather limited and I assume you aren't into any form of sound production, I would reccomend These , as they are more than enough for simple usage and go right into that price range , with great quality of sound, semi-open design, and etc.

...You listed a closed, supra aural headphone...that sits on the ear, not around it, it's not going to keep much sound out.
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neiu
The thing about noise-cancelling headphones is that they require a battery to operate at full performance.

You are referring to Active noise canceling headphones, they do not only need a battery to "operate at full performance" but actually need one to run period.

Neiu
Alot of times what this will mean is that when they are off on the nonise cancelling, their performance in a range like say the bass would be reduced amongst other things.

I am not sure if there are any headphones on the market that let you turn off the active noise canceling, but most on the market have passive noise canceling as well. You eluded to this later in the post by pointing to semi closed cups and with this design generally the bass is boosted because of how it interacts with the design. If you are having a bad sound that has more to do with the drivers, or the processing unit is still going.

Neiu
Now a good closed designed headphone should block off alot of noise naturally

A good closed headphone will block off 99% of outside noise.

Neiu
of course that isn't smart for portable usage because one must be aware of their surroundings. Also, seeing how your headphone budget is rather limited and I assume you aren't into any form of sound production, I would reccomend These , as they are more than enough for simple usage and go right into that price range , with great quality of sound, semi-open design, and etc.

...You listed a closed, supra aural headphone...that sits on the ear, not around it, it's not going to keep much sound out.

Actually form the site it lists it as "Form Factor: Semi-open", so I don't see where you got the closed part from. I owned one of the earlier(?) models MDR-V150's that are *practically* like those and they do as advertised and block albiet 50-75% depending on area. I don't really see why you are comparing the concerns with noise cancelling with the non-noisecancelling i suggested like that. Are you trying to imply anything?

And to my experience, alot of the noise cancelling headphones are "active" in the sense where they are battery operated, with on/off's. A passive noise canceling headphone would just be a well designed closed headphone.

Shameless Dabbler

Neiu
Actually form the site it lists it as "Form Factor: Semi-open", so I don't see where you got the closed part from.

Oh you know, around.

Neiu
I owned one of the earlier(?) models MDR-V150's that are *practically* like those and they do as advertised and block albiet 50-75% depending on area. I don't really see why you are comparing the concerns with noise cancelling with the non-noisecancelling i suggested like that. Are you trying to imply anything?

What? That made no sense, you referred to two different kinds of noise canceling, one is called active and one is called passive (Some times non-active). The fact of the matter is this, active does not work in all situations. For something like drowning out a constant noise such as engine noise on a plane then yes, they do. But for something like crying or live music, then no they won't. Aside from that, active introduces a slight hiss into the sound.

I am not implying, I am just correcting your half truths.

Neiu
And to my experience alot of the noise cancelling headphones are "active" in the sense where they are battery operated, with on/off's. A passive noise canceling headphone would just be a well designed closed headphone.
And what exactly is your experience?
Like I said, there are two different types of canceling. This is nothing new. You can also get open headphones which offer no canceling effect whatsoever.

Anyway, this is really off topic. The OP didn't even say anything about wanting noise canceling headphones.
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neiu
Actually form the site it lists it as "Form Factor: Semi-open", so I don't see where you got the closed part from.

Oh you know, around.

Neiu
I owned one of the earlier(?) models MDR-V150's that are *practically* like those and they do as advertised and block albiet 50-75% depending on area. I don't really see why you are comparing the concerns with noise cancelling with the non-noisecancelling i suggested like that. Are you trying to imply anything?

What? That made no sense, you referred to two different kinds of noise canceling, one is called active and one is called passive (Some times non-active). The fact of the matter is this, active does not work in all situations. For something like drowning out a constant noise such as engine noise on a plane then yes, they do. But for something like crying or live music, then no they won't. Aside from that, active introduces a slight hiss into the sound.

I am not implying, I am just correcting your half truths.

Neiu
And to my experience alot of the noise cancelling headphones are "active" in the sense where they are battery operated, with on/off's. A passive noise canceling headphone would just be a well designed closed headphone.
And what exactly is your experience?
Like I said, there are two different types of canceling. This is nothing new. You can also get open headphones which offer no canceling effect whatsoever.

Anyway, this is really off topic. The OP didn't even say anything about wanting noise canceling headphones.

Hey well thanks for pointing me to the actual site then, man. I should've checked the actual site than the Best Buy one. Truth is, I was just snooping around the best-buy site and that's what they listed when I searched for my old pair. So I compared them to eachother since there was some similiarities between the two and I assumed that was maybe sony's new line.

As for the whole off-topic-ness, I was commenting on them because the Original Poster said they liked them because their boyfriend owned a pair. She might've leaned towards one for the familiarity, but I wanted to make sure they knew more about them if that were to happen.

Sorry for the hairpulling this must have caused you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff