Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Noob

I'm going to point out what no one else has.

If you are not willing to pay more than $1,000, there is no combination of computer and video editor you can buy that is going to improve your videos (unless your computer is 10 years old and needs to be updated anyway, in which case any new computer with windows movie maker should do the job). And even if you spent that $1,000, the improvement would not be worth the money.

If you truly want to make videos that people want to watch, then save your money. Get lessons on how to use high-end video editors and get the equipment you need. Then go and have fun with your new hobby.

However, the first line of your original post tells me that your computer is old and simply needs to be updated.

In my opinion, even better than the Acer is this laptop. It's also got a better processor (3.4 GHz) than what Echoez was showing you. For the sake of videos it's better. The specs are otherwise pretty close, and this one is cheaper at $440. As Echoez says you can easily and cheaply upgrade the ram. I'm assuming that you're not going to make 10 full length movies so the hard drive should be more than enough.

Moonlight Lover

Sexy Chaos Engineer

I don't believe that it's truly a 3.4 GHz Core i5-3570K.
It says that it's a 2.4 GHz Pentium twice on the same page, and 3.4 GHz i5 only once.

Also, it's a C-Series laptop, a lower end model, so a 2.4GHz cpu would make more sense.
It even says that it's a 2.4 GHz Pentium on the Toshiba site, and I doubt the one on Amazon is a custom model.

I'm not entirely sure though, since there aren't any reviews on that particular laptop on Amazon.

Business Fairy

7,400 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Tycoon 200
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Quality control is a lie. If such a thing was regulated, then the dv6000 wouldn't fry itself to death.
Quality control isn't regulated. Not in the way you're thinking of. The underlying technologies and functions are regulated (by IEEE, FCC, etc) but there isn't some regulated body that is independently testing every computing product from every manufacturer in ways that YOU want them to, such as processor/GPU temperature at idle/load, keyboard ergonomics, relative build quality, etc. Because there is no regulated body, this is why review sites exist. Yes, those sites serve a useful purpose and fill an actual role.

But HP isn't going to clog their heatsink with dust, use an aged, dried out TIM, or use a fan with a failed bearing in their own testing. SOME dv6000-series systems included somewhat higher-end hardware that pushed the limits of the cooling solution that line of chassis provided. When tested, those systems may offer sufficient cooling and performance. In the field, in the hands of users, that's not always the case. There are tons of systems from tons of manufacturers that have failed to deliver sufficient cooling under so called "real-world" scenarios. The only reason that the dv6000-series is even remotely special is because HP used that chassis design for a while and it sold reasonably well. Various dv6000s ran perfectly fine, while others were more likely to run into problems as their tolerances were more limited.

And why are you so focused on the dv6000? It's a chassis design from 6-7 years ago. The only models with consistent issues used power-hungry AMD mobile processors. It's really not worth getting worked up about.
Review sites are pointless...

Because when you're shoopin for compooters, the highest rated ones are often released months ago, and whose going to buy a not-new machine? I could go on Amazon and look at Laptops that rated 4.5 stars or higher with over a few hundred satisfied people, but by the time the product gets an overwhelming good impression, its old-sauce and therefore obsolete.

I asked about getting an i7 laptop because the devices I'm eyeing, aren't sufficient reviewed by enough customers or big-time sites yet.

And regarding the actual thread, if your main focus is video editing. I hear that its a good idea to have a separate high-speed storage device to edit your videos off of for faster streams and editing. I think its got something to do with video editing software being slower than it has to be because your entire OS and video-related processes are running through the one harddrive.

Of course I never had a top performing storage medium before, and supposedly the harddrive is often the bottleneck of a system's setup.
Adulteraisin
Review sites are pointless...
wut?
Quote:

Because when you're shoopin for compooters, the highest rated ones are often released months ago
So people are unable to rate recent computers high?

Quote:
, and whose
it's spelled "who's" going to buy a not-new machine? I could go on Amazon and look at Laptops that rated 4.5 stars or higher with over a few hundred satisfied people, but by the time the product gets an overwhelming good impression, its old-sauce and therefore obsolete. Depends on the components, and that's where the search filter comes in, to narrow down parts.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Sexy Chaos Engineer
I'm going to point out what no one else has.

If you are not willing to pay more than $1,000, there is no combination of computer and video editor you can buy that is going to improve your videos (unless your computer is 10 years old and needs to be updated anyway, in which case any new computer with windows movie maker should do the job). And even if you spent that $1,000, the improvement would not be worth the money.

If you truly want to make videos that people want to watch, then save your money. Get lessons on how to use high-end video editors and get the equipment you need. Then go and have fun with your new hobby.

However, the first line of your original post tells me that your computer is old and simply needs to be updated.

In my opinion, even better than the Acer is this laptop. It's also got a better processor (3.4 GHz) than what Echoez was showing you. For the sake of videos it's better. The specs are otherwise pretty close, and this one is cheaper at $440. As Echoez says you can easily and cheaply upgrade the ram. I'm assuming that you're not going to make 10 full length movies so the hard drive should be more than enough.

Ok, get your notepad ready for more notes... wink

1. Yes, it would be nicer if the budget was about $1k...but it's not. We can work with the OP and see if there is anyway the budget could come up some but that's where the requirements come in and if a computer can be found to cover the requirements within the already proposed budget.

2. OP here has stated she wants to do video editing. I don't believe we know what video editing exactly but typically with a vague requirement like that we can assume it's relatively basic stuff(not saying they don't want to move beyond basic).

3. I hate to say it, but I'm going to have to argue with you about that computer you suggested. The processor is worse than the Acer listed, the graphics are worse than the Acer listed...hell, all around it's worse than the Acer that has already been mentioned. That Acer works nice because it comes with an i5 processor and a dedicated graphics solution. RAM should never be a deciding factor because it is so cheap and easy to upgrade. Hell, the product description for that Toshiba even says it's a solution for the "essentials" which means it is only meant for basic tasks.

I should really come up with a guide on things to look for when shopping for computers...including the key words in the descriptions that tell you exactly what the computer is meant to do. Honestly it's because some people just get lost when presented with a too many words...especially lingo and buzz words.

suqarbabey's Husband

Loiterer

What does anyone think about ASUS?
I took a trip to staples and walmart lastnight and saw one i liked at walmart for a little under $600 its got an intel i5 processor which sounds nice

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

josiv
I took a trip to staples and walmart lastnight and saw one i liked at walmart for a little under $600 its got an intel i5 processor which sounds nice

ASUS has been doing a good job at making decent machines. That last time I looked at the stats they were currently the lowest for 2 year failure rates.

Any chance you can get us the actual model you are looking at so we can look up the detailed specs?

My concern is you found it at Wal-Mart. Typically there isn't anything wrong with those machines, but most of the ones Wal-Mart sells only come with the Intel HD graphics which tend to be lacking when compared to other graphics solutions.

suqarbabey's Husband

Loiterer

Saruwatari Kooji
josiv

ASUS has been doing a good job at making decent machines. That last time I looked at the stats they were currently the lowest for 2 year failure rates.

Any chance you can get us the actual model you are looking at so we can look up the detailed specs?

My concern is you found it at Wal-Mart. Typically there isn't anything wrong with those machines, but most of the ones Wal-Mart sells only come with the Intel HD graphics which tend to be lacking when compared to other graphics solutions.

i'm almost positive this is the model it says its like $700 online but in store it was $600
Adulteraisin
Systems aren't obsolete just because they are a few monhs old. Ifa newer processor line has released or there's a big change like with the move to UEFI, fine, but just because the computer wasn't released last week doesn't mean it's a useless heap of trash.

There are plenty of systems with good reviews from both users and review sites (frankly I don't put too much weight into user reviews though - there are tons of stupid/shitty products that people love, crocs bein one example) that are using the Ivy Bridge platform. Just narrow your search of reviews. Find a few systems that interest you and then find out how those models or series of laptops have been reviewed.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

josiv
Saruwatari Kooji
josiv

i'm almost positive this is the model it says its like $700 online but in store it was $600

A price difference isn't uncommon, individual stores can reduce prices for in store purchases that won't be reflected online.

Although, as I suspected, that computer comes with integrated graphics. While initially I don't think that will hold back your video editing, the RAM and processor will affect that far more...you will notice more improvement if the computer you get has a respectable graphic solution.

Spec for spec, that Acer you were linked earlier is probably going to be your better bet. The processors are comparable, but the Acer includes dedicated graphics which could help you immensely later if you start delving into things that would require more graphics processing.

I can't take the time to look up the benchmarks and do a detailed comparison of the two machines for you right now, but someone else might be able to.

Again, there is really nothing wrong with that ASUS except for the integrated Intel HD graphics. If you don't think you will need dedicated graphics, that machine could easily serve you well.

Business Fairy

7,400 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Tycoon 200
Minion4Hire
Adulteraisin
Systems aren't obsolete just because they are a few monhs old. Ifa newer processor line has released or there's a big change like with the move to UEFI, fine, but just because the computer wasn't released last week doesn't mean it's a useless heap of trash.

There are plenty of systems with good reviews from both users and review sites (frankly I don't put too much weight into user reviews though - there are tons of stupid/shitty products that people love, crocs bein one example) that are using the Ivy Bridge platform. Just narrow your search of reviews. Find a few systems that interest you and then find out how those models or series of laptops have been reviewed.
I've used search filters to narrow down my choices. I happen to take user-reviews abit more critically because they're real people spending hundreds on their products.

For my particular tastes, I have only 5 laptops to choose from, 2 of which have no reviews, other two being 2.5/5 which is basically 5/10, and the best reviewed on being 3.5 stars.

I just don't feel comfortable taking a chance unless custer reviews are clearly tipped in favor of the product, and that takes time. By the time custer review info gets concrete enough to act on, that product is usually altleast a year old. And I'm not buying an Intel generation 2, when generation 3 is available.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff