Welcome to Gaia! ::

Golden Shoujo

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
currently have a t775 socket set and wanna go to a similar setup but with a DDR3 or DDR4 ram, quad core, 2.6 ghz maybe 3 ghz help me links or whatevers

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
You should check your motherboard's capabilities. The manufacturer should a page listing the hardware it is compatible with on their website. Or are you planning to replace the motherboard also?

Golden Shoujo

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
GenderBend
You should check your motherboard's capabilities. The manufacturer should a page listing the hardware it is compatible with on their website. Or are you planning to replace the motherboard also?

ya I wanna get a new motherboard but ya know similar but better does that make sense, the board I have is decent but ram is super costly

Hilarious Genius

4,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gaian 50
LGA775 board? I repurposed a damaged Inspiron 530 (rev. A board, had socket 775 also!) that was donated to the repair shop I worked at. Bought a Core 2 Duo E8440, DDR2 RAM (be very careful about supported RAM speeds, match latency/CAS, and max supported RAM with older boards!), GTS450, and an SSD all secondhand/refurb. Only thing that bothers me is the Logisys PSU, it was a shop spare (Black Swan, 500W I think?) and is essentially a 50/50 part. It's $20 new MSRP online, and sometimes lasts 1-2 years (YMMV).

Runs most modern games smoothly at high resolution for a machine rescued for less than $80. If you're looking for parts or prebuilt/barebones machines, I'd recommend using Newegg in conjunction with PC Part Picker.

If you don't want to deal with compatibility, check out their SuperCombos, often you can score well-built machines for cheap there. If money is a concern, stick to AMD parts. Performance is virtually equivalent to mainstream Intel chips, especially if you start looking into their APUs, which combine onboard video and one of their CPU models.

Good luck! Post if you need more tips or help.

Golden Shoujo

10,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
Rubellius
LGA775 board? I repurposed a damaged Inspiron 530 (rev. A board, had socket 775 also!) that was donated to the repair shop I worked at. Bought a Core 2 Duo E8440, DDR2 RAM (be very careful about supported RAM speeds, match latency/CAS, and max supported RAM with older boards!), GTS450, and an SSD all secondhand/refurb. Only thing that bothers me is the Logisys PSU, it was a shop spare (Black Swan, 500W I think?) and is essentially a 50/50 part. It's $20 new MSRP online, and sometimes lasts 1-2 years (YMMV).

Runs most modern games smoothly at high resolution for a machine rescued for less than $80. If you're looking for parts or prebuilt/barebones machines, I'd recommend using Newegg in conjunction with PC Part Picker.

If you don't want to deal with compatibility, check out their SuperCombos, often you can score well-built machines for cheap there. If money is a concern, stick to AMD parts. Performance is virtually equivalent to mainstream Intel chips, especially if you start looking into their APUs, which combine onboard video and one of their CPU models.

Good luck! Post if you need more tips or help.

thanks

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces