Welcome to Gaia! ::

So i'm looking to buy a small portable Laptop/Tablet hybrid machine
I am currently interested in the Lenovo Yoga 2 11 with i3 (11.6 inches) or HP Pavilion x360 with i3 (13.3 inches)
I like Lenovo design however I also like the 13.3 on the HP Pavilion
But I'm not sure which brand is more trusting when comes to build qualities and software.
Help me out please smile

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
I prefer Lenovo, because of my positive experiences with the ThinkPad line of laptops.

On the other hand I've had some phenomenally poor experiences with laptops made by HP (and their subsidiary brands).

However this is all just anecdotal evidence. I haven't investigated the specific models in question so I would hesitate to make any broad statements about the workmanship, durability, or reliability of either one. If you can, try them both out before purchasing

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
I've had the opposite experiences as Sitwon has had.

I couldn't stand the Lenovo ThinkPads, or anything else that I've touched from the company.

With HP though...my older sister bought one years ago, and it wasn't the best, so we went with Dell (which I do suggest looking at the Dell Duo, it's pretty nice from my use of it)
But now I have an HP 15 series and it's arguably the best computer that I've ever used- it has the same processor in terms of speed, but it's still running faster than the Mac I had.
Royale Smoke

I couldn't stand the Lenovo ThinkPads, or anything else that I've touched from the company.

With HP though...my older sister bought one years ago, and it wasn't the best, so we went with Dell (which I do suggest looking at the Dell Duo, it's pretty nice from my use of it)
But now I have an HP 15 series and it's arguably the best computer that I've ever used- it has the same processor in terms of speed, but it's still running faster than the Mac I had.

That is very strange! Are they they both in the same price range? And which company's hardware do you prefer?

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

That is very strange! Are they they both in the same price range? And which company's hardware do you prefer?

Here's the Duo
The link that says, "Get One," doesn't lead to the one I had purchased, I think mine was roughly $500, but then a friend spilled soup on it so I had to get something new x.X

As far as hardware goes, I can't say that HP outshines Dell yet.
My family has religiously stuck to Dell's since the 90's until my sister bought that HP, and my Mum still has her laptop from 2005 and it's running good still.

Price wise, Dell may run you a bit more since it's better built to last (from my experience anyway)

However, you'll probably get more bang for your buck with HP.
For $499 I got a 750GB hard drive with a AMD A8 processor so...I'm not complaining.
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo
The link that says, "Get One," doesn't lead to the one I had purchased, I think mine was roughly $500, but then a friend spilled soup on it so I had to get something new x.X

My family has religiously stuck to Dell's since the 90's until my sister bought that HP, and my Mum still has her laptop from 2005 and it's running good still.

Price wise, Dell may run you a bit more since it's better built to last (from my experience anyway)

For $499 I got a 750GB hard drive with a AMD A8 processor so...I'm not complaining.

Oh Which one is better? AMD or Intel? o_O?

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo

I prefer AMD over Intel, but it really depends on what you're doing.
If you're going for graphics, AMD is the way to go.
If you're going for overall performance, or aren't doing anything graphic heavy, Intel's the way to go.
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo

If you're going for overall performance, or aren't doing anything graphic heavy, Intel's the way to go.
I prefer intel, they have trusted processors and will stay strong! ive had a lenovo laptop with amd before, it was alright, now i use a macbook pro with intel core i5, its great and can handle anything, i prefer intel. Also i would go with hp because lenovo laptops are really ugly in my opinion, a pavillon or envy from hp are nice looking

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
golim3
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo

I prefer intel, they have trusted processors and will stay strong! ive had a lenovo laptop with amd before, it was alright, now i use a macbook pro with intel core i5, its great and can handle anything, i prefer intel. Also i would go with hp because lenovo laptops are really ugly in my opinion, a pavillon or envy from hp are nice looking

AMD is just as trustworthy as Intel is.

All Apple computers are jokes to begin with- I had a Mac Mini with an i3 or i2 Processor at 2.3GHz and my 2.0GHz AMD processor outspeeds the Mac by far.
Mac's are also created for people who don't know how to properly use a computer with all the tutorials on how to do basic things.

Pentium and Intel Processors are becoming extremely outdated with AMD taking the charge into the market.
The only time Intel is actually handy is when you're working in an office crunching numbers, but even then, AMD is a Quad-Core, most of them are, Intel is mostly just Duo Core, which...hopefully you understand what that means.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Royale Smoke

We likely come from different backgrounds and value different things about our laptops. In my industry, where utility and durability is valued above cost or aesthetics, ThinkPads are quite pervasive.

For example, I've lost track of the number of times that my laptop has been dropped (or had things dropped on it), kicked, tossed, rained on, or left running in an enclosed space (fastest way to overheat any laptop). It doesn't die. Sure, some components occasionally fail, but just about every component of a ThinkPad is an FRU (field replaceable unit) so you can easily buy the part and replace it yourself.

A ThinkPad is like a Jeep. You don't buy it because it's pretty, or because it's the fastest thing you can afford. You buy it because it's rugged enough to handle anything you would reasonably throw at it; and if you decide to be unreasonable, it's cheap/easy to repair yourself.

Lenovo's other products are decidedly more Dell-like, in terms of design and quality.
Royale Smoke
golim3
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo

All Apple computers are jokes to begin with- I had a Mac Mini with an i3 or i2 Processor at 2.3GHz and my 2.0GHz AMD processor outspeeds the Mac by far.
Mac's are also created for people who don't know how to properly use a computer with all the tutorials on how to do basic things.

Pentium and Intel Processors are becoming extremely outdated with AMD taking the charge into the market.
The only time Intel is actually handy is when you're working in an office crunching numbers, but even then, AMD is a Quad-Core, most of them are, Intel is mostly just Duo Core, which...hopefully you understand what that means.
Royal Smoke, you maybe right about the AMD proccessor of 2.0 ghz, but remember, intel core i3 is closer to the low-end of processors from intel. I would suggest we compare Intel core i5 and i7, it seems a bit more fair. Intel core i5 and i7 are very speedy and are definitely high end and their turbo boost gives them a very powerful boost of power.Also, I never said that she should get a mac, and it isn't for beginners, a macintosh is a very premium piece of work. Mac's are the most premium looking devices out there and they are most certainly not slow! Now lets get back to processors, i5 and i7 will take anything you throw it at and give you back an amazing computer experience. Intel core i5 i7 and even i3 all beat every amd processor by frames per second, that means the movement will be much smoother. Intel is just much smoother and let me quote something from one of north america's best tech websites, tech radar: "If you're wondering how it is that Intel can get away with desktop processors which have changed so little in previous years, the answer is simple: they just don't have much competition.
Partly that's because AMD has been trailing behind Intel for some time now, especially when it comes to desktop performance. While the company has promised a lot, they've singularly failed to deliver, and just can't compete with the best that Intel has to offer." I think this proves why Intel core i5 and i7 are much better.

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
golim3
Royale Smoke
golim3
Royale Smoke
Wreck my ball
Royale Smoke

Here's the Duo

Royal Smoke, you maybe right about the AMD proccessor of 2.0 ghz, but remember, intel core i3 is closer to the low-end of processors from intel. I would suggest we compare Intel core i5 and i7, it seems a bit more fair. Intel core i5 and i7 are very speedy and are definitely high end and their turbo boost gives them a very powerful boost of power.Also, I never said that she should get a mac, and it isn't for beginners, a macintosh is a very premium piece of work. Mac's are the most premium looking devices out there and they are most certainly not slow! Now lets get back to processors, i5 and i7 will take anything you throw it at and give you back an amazing computer experience. Intel core i5 i7 and even i3 all beat every amd processor by frames per second, that means the movement will be much smoother. Intel is just much smoother and let me quote something from one of north america's best tech websites, tech radar: "If you're wondering how it is that Intel can get away with desktop processors which have changed so little in previous years, the answer is simple: they just don't have much competition.
Partly that's because AMD has been trailing behind Intel for some time now, especially when it comes to desktop performance. While the company has promised a lot, they've singularly failed to deliver, and just can't compete with the best that Intel has to offer." I think this proves why Intel core i5 and i7 are much better.

Actually, my friend, AMD's A10 processor has been rated better than the Intel i7 in terms of speed, and graphics abilities.
Reason being again, Intel processors are almost ALL dDuoCore while almost ALL of AMD's processors are quad core.
Meaning things circulate faster in an AMD than in an Intel.

Either or, you firmly believe that Intel is better, while I firmly believe AMD is better. A Magazine cannot determine either of those things at all.
But when you compare, side-by-side each idtentical model of processor with AMD and Intel, AMD has a higher speed, especually when overclocking it (which is what turbocharging means), which overheats and decreases the life of the CPU, no matter the brand.

When it comes to Macintosh, they arent premium pieces of work, they're propietary pieces of s**t.
Anything a Mac does, a Windows can do just as easily, or even better, and can be repaired without going broke.
Royale Smoke
golim3
Royale Smoke
golim3
Royale Smoke

Actually, my friend, AMD's A10 processor has been rated better than the Intel i7 in terms of speed, and graphics abilities.
Reason being again, Intel processors are almost ALL dDuoCore while almost ALL of AMD's processors are quad core.
Meaning things circulate faster in an AMD than in an Intel.

Either or, you firmly believe that Intel is better, while I firmly believe AMD is better. A Magazine cannot determine either of those things at all.
But when you compare, side-by-side each idtentical model of processor with AMD and Intel, AMD has a higher speed, especually when overclocking it (which is what turbocharging means), which overheats and decreases the life of the CPU, no matter the brand.

When it comes to Macintosh, they arent premium pieces of work, they're propietary pieces of s**t.
Anything a Mac does, a Windows can do just as easily, or even better, and can be repaired without going broke.
Well if you think plastic is "premium" then go ahead. Can we just agree to disagree let the user decide whats better, we are both highly interested in tech and this debate will go on forever and frankly, im tired of typing right now

Conservative Fatcat

14,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Trader 100
Sitwon
Royale Smoke

We likely come from different backgrounds and value different things about our laptops. In my industry, where utility and durability is valued above cost or aesthetics, ThinkPads are quite pervasive.

For example, I've lost track of the number of times that my laptop has been dropped (or had things dropped on it), kicked, tossed, rained on, or left running in an enclosed space (fastest way to overheat any laptop). It doesn't die. Sure, some components occasionally fail, but just about every component of a ThinkPad is an FRU (field replaceable unit) so you can easily buy the part and replace it yourself.

A ThinkPad is like a Jeep. You don't buy it because it's pretty, or because it's the fastest thing you can afford. You buy it because it's rugged enough to handle anything you would reasonably throw at it; and if you decide to be unreasonable, it's cheap/easy to repair yourself.

Lenovo's other products are decidedly more Dell-like, in terms of design and quality.

I get that Thinkpads are FRU, they're extremely cheap machines, durability I can't agree on.

The High School I attended gave every student one right before I left, and almost every day, a kid dropped it, and something other than the screen would break.

Dell on the other hand, I can say without a doubt, at least with older models, can be dropped, and rained on.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Royale Smoke
The High School I attended gave every student one right before I left, and almost every day, a kid dropped it, and something other than the screen would break.
Sure, I can believe that. Like I said, I've replaced parts on my ThinkPads before. But as you said, something other than the screen broke, and that's exactly what you want. If the screen breaks, you can replace it, but it's a very expensive part. The case is designed like a roll-cage to protect the expensive components (screen, motherboard, hard drive) and sacrifice the cheaper, easier to replace parts, like the plastic panels or the hinges. They absorb the impact and may even break, but they save you the cost of replacing the screen. It's just like crumple zones on a car. There's some serious engineering behind ThinkPad design, which is why they're so popular with engineers.

Royale Smoke
Dell on the other hand, I can say without a doubt, at least with older models, can be dropped, and rained on.
That is true for many of the Latitudes and some Vostros, but certainly not true for most Inspirons.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff