Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was watching a video on youtube and it just suddenly shut off on me, I will let those interested know that my laptop does have a slight overheating problem and as such I always have a fan on next to it to cool it off while I'm using it and it runs at a pretty decent temperature and doesn't ever get too hot until I turn the fan off, although I doubt that's the problem.

Upon attempting to reboot I tried to initiate repairs and in the middle of loading my laptop shut off and no warning was given it just shut off; I booted it back up again and so far it's smooth sailing.

I also tried scanning my computer to check for any problems that might have caused an unexpected shutdown like a virus or some piece of malware and didn't find anything at all, just a bunch of worthless cookies.

I think I've had this issue before with a previous laptop I had, the one I have now isn't much different from it either, they're both Compaq Presario laptops, ran windows 7 and the only issue I experienced with the previous model was the motherboard going out on me as the power could never be sustained for more than a fraction of a second before shutting off.

Do you think the motherboard is the issue with this one? I've only had this laptop for about 3 years and never experienced any problems with it besides an HDD crash and it sometimes not coming back from sleep mode.

I really don't have the money to fix it so I'm wondering if it's an issue I can fix myself, unless I shouldn't be worried about it.
That screams physical issue. mostly I'd say it's overheating, but you say the temp is fine. Motherboard electrical short would be the next best bet.
Bento the spazcat
That screams physical issue. mostly I'd say it's overheating, but you say the temp is fine. Motherboard electrical short would be the next best bet.

That's what I was thinking but there wasn't any kind of power surge that would have triggered it, I did however accidentally on purpose stick a piece of metal into a broken usb port to try and move it so I could reuse it and it shorted out of course.

Could that have caused the problem? And yes I know it was very stupid to do that, I really wasn't thinking at the time.
Oh good lord, that probably did it. you shorted the USb.
Bento the spazcat

Oh well, the inside of it is stripped anyway and now all I see are the metal prongs, there was a plastic piece on top of that but it broke off.

Oh well, it happened a couple weeks ago.
Bento the spazcat

Still sounds like an overheating issue to me. I just don't see why watching a youtube video would cause the laptop to shut down without error because of a shorted USB port.
GrimFusion
Bento the spazcat

Still sounds like an overheating issue to me. I just don't see why watching a youtube video would cause the laptop to shut down without error because of a shorted USB port.

I know right? But like I said I always have a fan pointed towards my laptop so it's kept relatively cool.
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Bento the spazcat

I know right? But like I said I always have a fan pointed towards my laptop so it's kept relatively cool.

That doesn't mean anything if a dust bunny got lodged up against your CPU heatsink, hard drive, or RAM. Go get the thing professionally cleaned. It should cost you less than $30 and you would know for sure if you needed to replace components or simply consider upgrading afterward.
GrimFusion
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Bento the spazcat

That doesn't mean anything if a dust bunny got lodged up against your CPU heatsink, hard drive, or RAM. Go get the thing professionally cleaned. It should cost you less than $30 and you would know for sure if you needed to replace components or simply consider upgrading afterward.

I suppose so, this things is rather dusty and dirty, I'll definitely consider it.
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Bento the spazcat

I suppose so, this things is rather dusty and dirty, I'll definitely consider it.

Well, the alternative is continuing to use the laptop as-is until the hardware essentially melts down and stops working entirely. At that point, replacement is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $30.
GrimFusion
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Momo_Kitten
GrimFusion
Bento the spazcat

Well, the alternative is continuing to use the laptop as-is until the hardware essentially melts down and stops working entirely. At that point, replacement is going to cost a hell of a lot more than $30.

I know, that's what's scary, I don't have the money for a new laptop much less getting it professionally cleaned.
uk hardcore
Momo_Kitten

I have a quick solution for this problem, get out of your mud hut and live in a (HOUSE) thats were the electric is. your electric is the problem. if you want more electric watts, move into an actual house that runs electric. if that doesn't work, maby try considering topping up your electric bill more often!

You're either a troll, drunk, stoned or possibly all 3, I can't tell which.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff