Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
So Ive heard that Macs are all the rage. True?

Im not looking for any gaming computer, more just for your average student. I might want to do some light gaming or movie streaming maybe once or twice a week though, so what would your suggested requirements be for that?

Id also like a computer that lasts forever! Maybe forever isnt realistic. I know (at least Ive heard) that the average life span of a laptop is usually 3-5 years, but I would really enjoy something that would live a little longer.

Im not well versed in computers and their strange language, so please go easy on me (:

Budget: about 1k

I was looking at a Macbook Air 64GB, 1.7GHz dual-core Intel i5 processor, Turbo Boost 2.6 GHz, 802.11n Wi-Fi (I have no idea what all this stuff means, Im just copying/pasting info... Does this sound good for me? I would really like something cheaper. Any suggestions?)

Thank you everyone for your input! Definitely take all your opinions into account.(:
You don't need a mac but pretty much anything for $1000 will suit your needs.

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
You actually don't need a mac. If you are very familiar with it, then you have no other choice.
I would suggest you to get a windows laptop. $1000 will surely buy you a good one.
Little bit out of the topic, but if you plan a desktop, $1000 can get you a solid gaming rig.
Specifically, what games do you like to play?
You'll want to make sure that those and any programs you use - especially for school - are compatible with macs.
If most of what you do uses browsers and word processors, then your choice of OS won't matter much.
But if you haven't tried the Mac OS before you may want to go to a store or library that has them and just play around, see if you like it.

MacBook airs are pretty little computers, and if you really care about weight it may be worth the $$ to you.
Personally I prefer to sacrifice light weight for something a bit more powerful with a larger screen and keyboard since I type a lot and need the extra screen space.
I would probably get a MacBook Pro before a MacBook Air but that's just me.
(I'd get Lenovo Thinkpads before any Mac to be quite honest ;P)

Shy Explorer

3,750 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
i would recommend Alienware it not only will run modern pc games but it looks freakin amazing and you can customize the colors if you buy on there site
and the keys even glow if its dark in the room

Alienware Website

the alienware M14 laptop is on sale for 901£
Link To Laptop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items