Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Hi everyone, so I am in need of a laptop for college so I really would like to know any suggestions you may all have. Here is what I am looking for. THANKS!

-14 to 16in screen
-under $500
-intel core i3 to i5 processor
-4 to 6gb ram
-500gb hard drive or more
-will last for 4 years
-preferably not lenovo or asus because I have read poor reviews and rating for them

5,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I find it weird that you have bad reviews for lenovo or asus considering that's almost all what my college dorm uses for laptops (aside from the macbooks and the few toshibas)

I'm gonna recommend an asus anyway haha. Mine is an ASUS A53Z. the RAM I got for this one is 8gb with a Radeon HD Graphics card and a AMD A6-3420M APU processor at 1.5GHz. Not really the processor you're looking for, but this thing rarely freezes, never crashes, and I can play most video games fine as long as it's not expecting an over-the-top set up. The screen for my model is either 15" or 16". You could probably get what you're looking for under $500, but I got what I did because I needed it then and there. Also has a numpad. The asus chargers are well made, too.

I've had this for almost 2 years now. No keys have fallen off, and the only issue I've had is the power switch breaking inside, which ASUS fixed for free under my 1 year warranty. The frame is lifting a bit, but that's my own fault from picking it up by the screen so much, and that can be fixed pretty easily.

All & all not bad for $350 off Newegg after my 1 year old $1200 Dell laptop died on me right when my freshman year of college started.

If neither the lenevo or the asus is your cup of tea, and I personally do not recommend Toshiba as some models don't put the processor and fan next to each other, my next bet for you would be an HP.

Best of luck!
AtomicMangos
Hi everyone, so I am in need of a laptop for college so I really would like to know any suggestions you may all have. Here is what I am looking for. THANKS!

-14 to 16in screen
-under $500
-4 to 6gb ram
-750gb hard drive or more
-will last for 4 years
-preferably not lenovo or asus because I have read poor reviews and rating for them

This is around the best it is gunna get, unless you want refurbished products.

You won't meet the 750 GB HDD, with the other requirements, unless you get refurbished.

5,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PickleCellAnemia
I find it weird that you have bad reviews for lenovo or asus considering that's almost all what my college dorm uses for laptops (aside from the macbooks and the few toshibas)

I'm gonna recommend an asus anyway haha. Mine is an ASUS A53Z. the RAM I got for this one is 8gb with a Radeon HD Graphics card and a AMD A6-3420M APU processor at 1.5GHz. Not really the processor you're looking for, but this thing rarely freezes, never crashes, and I can play most video games fine as long as it's not expecting an over-the-top set up. The screen for my model is either 15" or 16". You could probably get what you're looking for under $500, but I got what I did because I needed it then and there. Also has a numpad. The asus chargers are well made, too.

I've had this for almost 2 years now. No keys have fallen off, and the only issue I've had is the power switch breaking inside, which ASUS fixed for free under my 1 year warranty. The frame is lifting a bit, but that's my own fault from picking it up by the screen so much, and that can be fixed pretty easily.

All & all not bad for $350 off Newegg after my 1 year old $1200 Dell laptop died on me right when my freshman year of college started.

If neither the lenevo or the asus is your cup of tea, and I personally do not recommend Toshiba as some models don't put the processor and fan next to each other, my next bet for you would be an HP.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your suggestion! biggrin

5,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
L33t Mule Pants
AtomicMangos

-14 to 16in screen
-under $500
-4 to 6gb ram
-750gb hard drive or more
-will last for 4 years

This is around the best it is gunna get, unless you want refurbished products.

You won't meet the 750 GB HDD, with the other requirements, unless you get refurbished.

Thanks for your suggestion! biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces