Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'll press the power button, the power light will come on (nothing else), it'll blink for a bit and I can hear the vents starting up, but then it'll abruptly shut down. It'll do this two times automatically before I have to press the power button again. It used to do this before all the time, but it'd usually come on eventually. I didn't use it for about a week, and now I can go for hours straight attempting to turn it on and it won't.

Does anyone have any idea what this is and what I can do to at least get it to boot up?
I'm attempting to reapply the thermal paste now. wish me luck hurpdurp

Timid Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Umm the problem is actually quite simple. It is simply out of battery! It turned on for a while earlier, because it had some left nd it was trying to preserve the left battery. Now it is completely out of battery and you need to plug it in! Plug it in, Charge it, Try it again, if that doesnt work, get a new battery or try to change your inner fan. It could be because its getting over heated but its probably the battery. 3nodding
NickOfTheDarx
Umm the problem is actually quite simple. It is simply out of battery! It turned on for a while earlier, because it had some left nd it was trying to preserve the left battery. Now it is completely out of battery and you need to plug it in! Plug it in, Charge it, Try it again, if that doesnt work, get a new battery or try to change your inner fan. It could be because its getting over heated but its probably the battery. 3nodding

That makes sense, since the battery hasn't been working for this thing. It doesn't charge at all anymore. I only have the charger plugged in. I really don't know how hard it'll be to find an Acer Extensa 5420 battery here in the Philippines, but I'll try. That's a good suggestion, thanks for that!
Dice Lexic
NickOfTheDarx

That makes sense, since the battery hasn't been working for this thing. It doesn't charge at all anymore. I only have the charger plugged in. I really don't know how hard it'll be to find an Acer Extensa 5420 battery here in the Philippines, but I'll try. That's a good suggestion, thanks for that!
It should power on without the battery (on AC power of course). If you remove the battery and it still does not power on, then there is some other issue, likely motherboard related. Disconnecting all sources of power and holding down the power button for ten seconds may help, but otherwise it is very likely that you could be looking at an irreparable motherboard problem, in that it would need to be replaced.
Dice Lexic
NickOfTheDarx

If you can't find one for sale, you could always open up the battery, check the specs on the Li-ion cells, and make a new battery biggrin

Timid Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Thats the weakest point of acer v.v It usually does not allow the pc to work without a battery, even if the charging wire is plugged in, it doesnt have the necessary converters. It can only charge the battery, not use the electricity. Thats why i sold my acer nd got an Asus :3
NickOfTheDarx
Thats the weakest point of acer v.v It usually does not allow the pc to work without a battery, even if the charging wire is plugged in, it doesnt have the necessary converters. It can only charge the battery, not use the electricity. Thats why i sold my acer nd got an Asus :3
Completely and utterly untrue.

Seriously. That's just false. No laptop is designed like that.

If your AC Adapter cannot power your laptop by itself, then it is defective.

That said, if you remove the battery from an Apple laptop, OS X forces your processor to run throttled (it might actually be EFI that forces this, but regardless) which Apple claims it does to prevent against excessive stress on their adapter due to transient loads. That is the closest thing to a battery/adapter hardware power limitation I'm aware of.

Sorry. You're wrong.

Timid Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Minion4Hire
NickOfTheDarx
Completely and utterly untrue.

Seriously. That's just false. No laptop is designed like that.

If your AC Adapter cannot power your laptop by itself, then it is defective.

That said, if you remove the battery from an Apple laptop, OS X forces your processor to run throttled (it might actually be EFI that forces this, but regardless) which Apple claims it does to prevent against excessive stress on their adapter due to transient loads. That is the closest thing to a battery/adapter hardware power limitation I'm aware of.

Sorry. You're wrong.

Erm, I just googled it to double check, although cut the "most" part e.e I love using hyperboles u see :3
Minion4Hire
Dice Lexic
NickOfTheDarx

It should power on without the battery (on AC power of course). If you remove the battery and it still does not power on, then there is some other issue, likely motherboard related. Disconnecting all sources of power and holding down the power button for ten seconds may help, but otherwise it is very likely that you could be looking at an irreparable motherboard problem, in that it would need to be replaced.

Yes, it did before. I could have it plugged in and it'd run just fine. I tested every single component; removed each RAM card and attempted to turn it on, and then removed the hard drive and tried. Still nothing. Hm. Here's a question - when I went in, two circular pins that used to hold in the CPU seem to be broken off. Could the CPU not be properly attached and that's why it keeps turning off? I had taken it to the store and they had this problem and welded it back on, but the pins look melted now.
Dice Lexic
Minion4Hire
Dice Lexic
NickOfTheDarx

Yes, it did before. I could have it plugged in and it'd run just fine. I tested every single component; removed each RAM card and attempted to turn it on, and then removed the hard drive and tried. Still nothing. Hm. Here's a question - when I went in, two circular pins that used to hold in the CPU seem to be broken off. Could the CPU not be properly attached and that's why it keeps turning off? I had taken it to the store and they had this problem and welded it back on, but the pins look melted now.

......you're going to have to find a picture or something of what you're referring to because I don't follow at the moment.

Most heatsinks are held in place by screws. One example here.

Laptop processors are increasingly soldered permanently into their motherboards in order to reduce z-height, but most socketed laptop processors use something such as this screw mechanism on the right side of the socket that locks and unlocks the CPU with a half turn.

Your description makes zero sense to me so I don't have the slightest clue what you're on about. See if you can find an example and we can tell you whether it is normal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff