Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm looking for a good carrier to run on a steady 3G speed, T-mobile offers EDGE/2G speeds which is ridiculous for paying 50/mo... Straight Talk has its up's and downs. I'm currently with Virgin Mobile and am getting an iphone.. I'm looking for a carrier that has decent speeds.
tmobile has had not only 3g, but 4g for the past...what, three years now?

but it won't work on the phone due to the iphone only using AT&T's frequency bands.

Straight talk phones are sim-locked, so the sim that comes with the phone will only work with that phone.

So you're stuck on AT&T.

Invisible Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Bento the spazcat

but it won't work on the phone due to the iphone only using AT&T's frequency bands.

Straight talk phones are sim-locked, so the sim that comes with the phone will only work with that phone.

So you're stuck on AT&T.

Not True.

The iphone will not work on 3g With T-mobile because of there not being enough towers. T-mobile users have reported 3g spottings on their phone, although the location is rare. It's just a matter of time til t-mobile gets 3g on the iphone.

Straight Talk phones are SIM locked yes, but they have a BYOP (Bring your own phone) program, where you can buy a SIM and hook it to your phone and pay that way.

AT&T does not allow Pre-paid iphones to operate on their network. As far as I know they don't like it.
iEvanie
Bento the spazcat

So you're stuck on AT&T.

Not True.

The iphone will not work on 3g With T-mobile because of there not being enough towers.

Hun, I worked for AT&T. Badge number is 100WO.
Iphone's radio reads these frequencies: 850 900 1800 1900 MHz
ATT runs the 3g signal on the bands 850 / 1900 MhZ
Tmo is running theirs on 1700/2100 MHz. unless you physicaly remove the antenna assembly, modify it, reprogram the iphone IPSW file and load a secondary testing carrier file, it won't give you anything above 2g signal because it simply can not tune in to the frequency

Quote:
T-mobile users have reported 3g spottings on their phone, although the location is rare. It's just a matter of time til t-mobile gets 3g on the iphone.
which will only happen if they switch frequencies and alienate their entire current customer base.

Quote:
Straight Talk phones are SIM locked yes, but they have a BYOP (Bring your own phone) program, where you can buy a SIM and hook it to your phone and pay that way.
Just noticed that, looks like that's the way to go as long as you don't mind APN editing.

Invisible Hunter

6,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Bento the spazcat
iEvanie
Bento the spazcat

So you're stuck on AT&T.

Not True.

The iphone will not work on 3g With T-mobile because of there not being enough towers.

Tmo is running theirs on 1700/2100 MHz. unless you physicaly remove the antenna assembly, modify it, reprogram the iphone IPSW file and load a secondary testing carrier file, it won't give you anything above 2g signal because it simply can not tune in to the frequency

Quote:
T-mobile users have reported 3g spottings on their phone, although the location is rare. It's just a matter of time til t-mobile gets 3g on the iphone.
which will only happen if they switch frequencies and alienate their entire current customer base.

Quote:
Just noticed that, looks like that's the way to go as long as you don't mind APN editing.

You may have to help me with the APN editing..I'm terrible with hacking, thank god the iphone is already JB but.. only thing is getting tetherME and using that to change the APN..

Edit: So AT&T would allow it to run on 3g but idk what plans they have ;-;
iEvanie
Bento the spazcat
iEvanie
Bento the spazcat

So you're stuck on AT&T.

Not True.

Quote:

Quote:

You may have to help me with the APN editing..I'm terrible with hacking, thank god the iphone is already JB but.. only thing is getting tetherME and using that to change the APN..

Edit: So AT&T would allow it to run on 3g but idk what plans they have ;-;
You can use it on straight talk. once you have it, connect to wifi and then go to http://unlockit.co.nz/
Bento the spazcat
iEvanie
Not True.

Quote:

In this case, that's actually almost what's happening

I could be wrong, as I haven't been looking at the issue all THAT closely, but I believe that T-Mobile recently obtained some extra spectrum as a concession when the AT&T merger fell through, and they've been refarming spectrum and shuffling it around somewhat. The end result is that in certain areas (mostly urban at the moment), unlocked iPhones may actually have 3G service with T-Mobile.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff