Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lately, I've been building a computer to pratice for the A+ Exam, And only recently have i been able to add the heatsink and jumpers(needed a friends help, But that's probably besides the point..^^;; ), I've noticed that the ONLY way for my computer to boot up, Is to open up the case, Swtich my power supply swtich on, And then hit the power button, After this, I must lightly start to pull out the main power conector(Large one), untill i finally see the fan ontop of my heatsink to run.

I'm using an MSI 849(I think) Ultar version one motherboard(ATX), And an ATX style Power supply P4/P3/AMD ready..Atleast thats what it says on the box and labeling..^^;;..Any help on how to fix this matter would be greatly loved becaues it's a pain to have to crack open the case every time i want to turn it on.

Edit:Also, After i've gotten it on, I cannot use the power button on the Front to turn it off, I must use the installed power supply button..
Sounds like you ahve a loose/broken/faulty connection.

EDIT: Sounds like it could be a variety of things though, from the front power switch, to the mobo, to the power supply as well. Its gonna be a tad tricky to narrow it down, precisley, especialy if a combination of things is at fault.

Do you have another computer you can try the PSU out in?
Not really, There is one computer but i believe that the Mobo on that one may be crispy, So it really wouldn't do me any good....I'm trying to think if there are any other Really odd things that could narrow it down..The thing that really get me though, Is that I MUST hit the power button before I start pulling out the cord, Or else it won't turn on, And also the fact that if i were to turn it off, Then back on, And hit the power button, Leaving the connector at the same Postion, Without moving it a inch, It would still not work..also something that might be noteable, Which i wish i would have remembered before is that whenever i do this mad combo to get the damn thing on just so that it shows me a black monitor screen(Bad video card, Getting new one...), I'm not to sure on this fact but, If i had tryed it before, I must remove the power cord to the power supply, And/or flip the power swtich on the supply off then back on before it will work....If i could i would go grab it and walk through the steps but..It's in a room i share with my brothers and they are all trying to sleep..Really hard to move in and out of the room..^^;;
This sounds like it could be a problem with your main board. We troubleshot a similar case in class last quarter (A+ Prep/Hardware Troubleshooting).
The one we worked on was an ASUS Dragon mobo, and the user had effectively cooked the mainboard by plugging one of the Molex connectors into receptacle on the mobo itself. After looking at it, we discovered that the receptacle was actually an outlet, and the raw power from the Molex overpowered the outflow from the board connector, and fried it.

We got it to turn on much the same way you described, but it wouldn't power up consistently. So i'm going to take a guess and say your mobo's dead and not good for much more than a placemat.

PS--if you're going to prep for the A+ exams, i'd recommend http://www.braindumpcentral.com. There are sample questions from about every certification exam you can imagine there.
Thank you for the help (And link)phrogg and Kiretsu.Also, I've got a question, Would it harm the componets of the computer to continue using it as it is, If it is indeed fried...?
I'd probably get a power supply that is set up for hard-power vice the standard ATX soft-off/standby 5V power one you're using.

Check to see that the SB5V power pin is in fact providing at least 4.75 volts when the system is off but the power supply is on and ready. If not, try another power supply (maybe one with a stronger SB5V - StandBy 5 volts - power source).
Dark_Mage_Zero
Thank you for the help (And link)phrogg and Kiretsu.Also, I've got a question, Would it harm the componets of the computer to continue using it as it is, If it is indeed fried...?

It may or may not. It's hard to say. If the problem with you're powersupply, and not the Mobo, the powersupply could die and surge (I've seen it happen) and fry you're motherboard and cook you're processor.

Or, it could be you're mobo and if it is fried, it could just get steadily worse.

It could also be something wrong with the wiring in the case? I know the wires for my powerbutton came with the case, so it could be that they are faulty, lose inside the front pannel?

You could probly just leave it, but I don't think anything good would come of that, besides alot of frustration. So, I reccomend as the others have and taking parts out and testing them.

Mobo with another Powersupply, Test the PowerSupply on another Mobo, Try hooking up a different case to the same Mobo and PowerSupply that you have.
Well I can't hook it up to another case becuase unfotnetly..I've no the slightly ideas how the hell i hook up jumpers...I've been trying to find a resource site to help me out but to no results..And i don't really have another power supply sitting around..Though i could always you the Volt Ohm metter to check..I'll see what i can do and come back if i continue to have problems, Thank you so far to everyone..^^

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff