Welcome to Gaia! ::

Before installing a new HDD, I was told it was super easy and I didn't need anything special. Turns out I needed a Sata cable. Was pretty angry about that. So now I'm installing a new DVD burner and want to know if there's anything specific I need that doesn't come with the box?

Also, does it matter if I buy it used? I rather save $10 but it needs to work, obviously. Thanks.
if you don't know what a sata cable is, you really shouldn't be picking up a screwdriver.

Google is your friend. I'll make a better post for you here in a few minutes.
rizuhbull
Before installing a new HDD, I was told it was super easy and I didn't need anything special. Turns out I needed a Sata cable. Was pretty angry about that.
Boo hoo. You got an OEM drive? It doesn't come with anything. Get a retail drive? It comes with all the cables and screws you need.
rizuhbull
So now I'm installing a new DVD burner and want to know if there's anything specific I need that doesn't come with the box?
You get an OEM drive, you'll get the drive and maybe the cables. Get a retail drive, and you'll get everything you need and maybe a blank disc if it's a writer.

You should already have a spare SATA cable anyway. If you don't, get a couple. They're cheap as dirt, so there's no excuse not to have them.
rizuhbull
Also, does it matter if I buy it used? I rather save $10 but it needs to work, obviously. Thanks.
It can. It depends on how badly the previous owner abused it. They have a certain operational life that shortens as you burn discs. Some DVD drives also fail just from playing tons of DVDs. A new drive will have fewer problems, and will last longer. Probably on the order of years longer.
My experience: ITT Tech back in 00, computer networking was my major. Ever since I've owned a business fixing hardware like your problem here. I currently own and maintain a few websites that are served right here from my home (I'm proud of that, can you tell?)

So let me give you some pro advice here (I noticed the "boo hoo" guy post above me. How are you supposed to know what a SATA cable IS even? He's a fggt.)

Would I buy used? No. I wouldn't. You don't know if some fool put a PB and J sandwich in it and then is selling it to you "like new". On top of this, EBAY is usually sketchy on delivery times and quality.

-scrolls up (sorry got interrupted with a walk on the beach with a hott chick)-

You are somewhat vague with the question you are asking so I'm going to try to cover all the bases to your question. I'm assuming your working on a desktop PC and not a laptop.

The drives come in two flavors, SATA and IDE. You could think of these as the interface between the drive and the motherboard. I'd check the motherboard FIRST to see if I have an open SATA port for the drive. If so, go with the SATA interface, it's a newer technology and will last longer with computers to come if you decide to switch it out to a new computer.

If you don't have an open SATA port on the mobo, IDE will do just fine for the drive, the interface speed is ok for DVD transfer speeds. It won't run any faster or slower than the SATA version of the drive. Check that you have an open IDE port. Usually they are labeled on the mobo but your looking for a port with like 36 or 38 pins arranged in two rows. Maybe it's forty. Again, google is your friend.

Ok, now that you've determined whether you need SATA or IDE, find a vendor. Amazon I'd rate as a "C"... Their products seem to be good but the shipping can take longer than expected at times. I usually get my item within two weeks though so it's not that bad. I've learned to avoid the super shipping saver though, ya it saves a dollar or two but it comes really slow.

Newegg is good, better with shipping times, but their products are sometimes sketchy. I'm learning to avoid them. So far I'd say I'm running around a 30% fail rate with their products. Over the past few years I've had a mobo, 2 or 3 hard drives, 3 keyboards and some other stuff go dead within a week or two of purchase. Just a few days ago I had a client lose a monitor bought from them within a year and a half. Their warranty department is great but I'd rather get a good product that doesn't NEED replaced in the first place. If you go with newegg, your money is well spent on the extended warranty. There's a 50/50 chance you'll be using it (from my experience).

3btech.net has been really good to me with products like DVD roms. They have quality products and ship fast. The drawback for you would be they usually ship OEM. (The post above me was correct about OEM packaging having NOTHING verses retail which has EVERYTHING). Me, I have all the cables and screws I could want, I just pull them out of my bin, but for you this is rough going. They have a little dropdown box to easily order a cable with the drive for like 2.50 or so but the screws are another story. You might be able to steal the needed screws from other areas in the case, but I can't remember right off hand which type of screw the DVD needs. If your replacing a unit with this new DVD drive, you can use the old cable and screws for the job. Just be sure to get the same interface to use the old cable.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't get REFURBISHED. Refurbished is an abomination..... don't even SAY that word in this house, I'll throw you out a window. It's only a one story house so no biggie smile

Ok, for the removal and installation of the drive, it will be a bit more difficult than the HDD you just did. Level of difficulty depends on the case but it shouldn't be too bad. Some cases are real easy and the DVD slides out the front after removing the screws, TADA, just like that. Most cases however require removing the front of the case THEN sliding the drive out the front. My HP case requires removal of the front, then I've got to align the drive properly so that the button on the case presses the button on the drive to open the tray. If you are removing the old drive, you may need to take the opposite side of the case off to get at those pesky screws at the other side of the drive.

or....

it may be as easy as pressing a button to remove the drive, then installing the mounting brackets to the new drive.

Just remember to ground yourself to a powersupply screw before poking around inside the case. It takes less static electricity than you can feel to blow the computer up. Speaking of which, leave the computer plugged in while you work with it. This leaves the computer grounded to the wall.

Hopefully this answers your questions. If anything pops up that you need help with get in touch with me.

raisedpassion on yahoo messenger,
raisedpassion@hotmail.com (messenger and email)
www.revolutionaryanimalswithrabies.com (my website)
I'd give you my phone number but only in PM.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff