Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Reveler

I don't come in here much, but I think I have googled as much as I can google, and I'm a bit stuck. Any help greatly appreciated because I know it takes up your time. My computer skills are not exactly excellent, but I can do basic diagnostic type stuff if given instruction most of the time.

My flatmate and I decided to have a hard-drive swap night but it all went wrong when I plugged his drive into my laptop. It's an HGST Touro Mobile 3.0 external. My laptop runs Windows 7.

It downloaded all it's drivers and everything, but it wouldn't show up in My Computer. I went into Devices/Drivers and it was showing up in there, but I couldn't access it. I clicked it and it just tried to load for ages and eventually crapped out.

I get this error message: D: is not accessible, the parameter is incorrect.

Also said the device needed to be formatted before use (uh oh...) but I did not click that, I closed it. Troubleshoot says device is working, but if you try a scan of any sort it says the disk is inaccessible. I have 3 USB slots, I tried it in all of them with same results. It's currently occupying D:

I tried the old Turn it off and on again, and then went to Google. I found and followed instructions to run chkdsk in Command prompt. It went well to start off with, but it's now frozen on stage 2 at 13%. It has now been frozen at 13% for over an hour.

Here's a screenshot:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image[/img]

How boned am I? What's the next step? I don't even know if I should turn off my computer or what. Anything else I can try, or do you think it's dead? If it's dead, any chance of being able to recover some data? I feel kinda bummed out because it's not my drive... if anyone actually read this and knows anything, thank you!

Aged Werewolf

leave it on for a couple of hours
sometimes when I scan it would pause like that in the 1st hour but it would eventually finish after 2-3 hours (usually I just start it before I go to sleep and when I wake up it's done).

Vicious Reveler

neodraconum
leave it on for a couple of hours
sometimes when I scan it would pause like that in the 1st hour but it would eventually finish after 2-3 hours (usually I just start it before I go to sleep and when I wake up it's done).

Maybe I was being a bit impatient... if that's the case I think I might do as you suggested and leave it overnight to scan. I don't think I can screw it up that much worse than it already is, anyhow. I'll probably feel better about it in the morning after I've given it a chance and at least feel like I tried something. I'm getting the feeling that it might not have a good outcome, but dammit, I have to try!

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it smile

Vicious Reveler

UPDATE: Left it on disk check overnight, it's still stuck at 13% but there's 2 extra lines of text that weren't there before.

Both say 'Correcting error in index $130 for file 939'

So... still pretty stumped.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Sounds like you have filesystem corruption. You could leave it running and see if it recovers on its own, or you could try recovering the data with tools like TestDisk.

Vicious Reveler

Sitwon
Sounds like you have filesystem corruption. You could leave it running and see if it recovers on its own, or you could try recovering the data with tools like TestDisk.

Thanks! I gave it another go on chkdsk and it froze on 13% again. I'll give TestDisk a shot and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just see if any of the data is recoverable. I gave my drive back to my flatmate and luckily all the important things are backed up. I'm letting him use the extra space on my drive until we can sort him out a new one, if it comes down to that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff