Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
Just something I've been wondering for a while...

Does a PC have failsafes for thsi sort of thing?

Dangerous Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
If a PSU dies on its own accord it usually won't damage anything else. If it dies from something like a power surge then there's a good chance a lot, if not all, of the components in the machine are gone because they're all connected to the motherboard.

Having a good UPS with surge protection that can handle the wattage of everything connected to it can help protect against large amounts of damage to your system if a power surge were to occur.

Fashionable Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
God of the Mind
If a PSU dies on its own accord it usually won't damage anything else. If it dies from something like a power surge then there's a good chance a lot, if not all, of the components in the machine are gone because they're all connected to the motherboard.

Having a good UPS with surge protection that can handle the wattage of everything connected to it can help protect against large amounts of damage to your system if a power surge were to occur.

UPS?

Dangerous Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Value of Pi
God of the Mind

UPS?

UPS - Uninterruptible Power Supply

Fashionable Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100
God of the Mind
The Value of Pi
God of the Mind

UPS?

Does this go between the mains and the computer?

What kind should I get if I have a 650watt PSU?

Dangerous Hunter

7,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
The Value of Pi
God of the Mind
The Value of Pi
God of the Mind

UPS?

Does this go between the mains and the computer?

What kind should I get if I have a 650watt PSU?

This goes between the wall outlet and the PSU.

I have the same wattage power supply and I use this UPS. It works very well - haven't had any issues with it.
last time my psu died, my video card also died. everything else was alright though, and i don't necessarily know if the psu caused it or w/e

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games